Sign in to follow this  
fsgeek

A/T Manual Override

Hi everyone,

I noticed recently that I was able to manually override the throttles with my Saitek X52 Pro at any point during the flight, even when VNAV of FLCH are engaged. This really annoys me so I realised that I could change this in the simulation options. My question is the following: In the real T7, can pilots manually override the A/T by pushing the throttle levers while VNAV or FLCH are engaged, or is this just an in-sim option?

Regards,

Louis Vallance

Louis Vallance | P3D v4.5 (no shaders) | i9-9900K | 32GB | RTX 2080

They can. Trouble with simulator is, next to noone owns motorized throttles.

Thanks for the reply, Fabo. In the real T7 can the throttle levers always override the A/T or only in hold modes? I ask because I want my PMDG 777 to be as realistic as possible and there are three options:

• Never 
  • Always
  • Only in hold mode

Thanks,

In the real T7 can the throttle levers always override the A/T or only in hold modes? I ask because I want my PMDG 777 to be as realistic as possible and there are three options:

Never
Always
Only in hold mode

Hi, Louis,

According to the PMDG introductory manual, "Always" is the most realistic -- RW when the pilot moves the throttle levers he/she always overrides the autothrottle's setting (see p. 83). 

The problem in flight simulator is that the joystick throttle does not move according to the commands coming from the autothrottle.  In RW the throttles do move according to what the autothrottle is commanding (and so do the animated throttle levers in FS on the screen).  So, if you choose "always," and you accidentally touch the joystick throttle lever, or your joystick's throttle produces a spike, thrust will go to wherever the joystick throttle lever happens to be.  This is a big problem if the autothrottle thrust setting is "HOLD", as the power setting will go to where your joystick throttle lever is and stay there.  In other thrust modes the thrust will momentarily go to where your lever happens to be, but then it will go back to what the autothrottle is commanding. 

For example on takeoff, after 80 knots the autothrottle goes into HOLD.  If you accidentally touch the joystick throttle lever, or it produces a spike, the thrust could drop way below takeoff power.

Personally, I do have my throttle set to ALWAYS, but so far my joystick doesn't seem to be producing spikes and I am very careful not to touch the throttle lever accidentally, especially on the takeoff roll.   I also use FSUIPC to map my throttle lever, which may be why I don't have spikes.  However using FSUIPC for the throttle has produced problems for many other people.

Hope this helps!

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

IRL, you can always override A/T if you apply enough force, or with normal force if HOLD mode is active.

I suggest to set "Only in hold mode" if you do not have a motorized throttle.

Hi,

So if a pilot does override the AT in HOLD mode, how would they get the AT back to following the FMC?

By letting go of the throttles.

Members
463 posts
Joined 7 Years, 11 Months and 25 Days Ago.

Posted Today, 01:24 AM

Rem19112343, on 21 Dec 2013 - 8:21 PM, said:

Hi,

So if a pilot does override the AT in HOLD mode, how would they get the AT back to following the FMC?

By letting go of the throttles.

If you let go of the throttles in HOLD mode they will just stay where they are.  In HOLD the autothrottle does not control the throttles.  You need to switch to another speed mode, which usually involves switching to a different vertical mode. 

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Thanks for all the useful information, Mike. Makes me want servo-driven throttles ;-)

Louis