Sign in to follow this  
dolph98

Help a guy decide on F.O. Software

I have been watching and listening to talk about add-on software that will help me fly the heavies. I have seen MCE and FS2C and am torn. I lean toward FS2C but I don't like that it is so expensive and one package will tie me to one plane. I want a software that is programmable (easily I hope) and will work with ANY aircraft I may chose to fly, today or in the future. I currently fly the NGX and the Airbus X right now (which has built-in crew to help out). Looking at the T7 and perhaps later the oldies too like the CLS DC-10, PMDG MD-11 and Level-D 767.

Anyone have a package I missed evaluating? Comments welcome since it's Christmas and I might be able to wrangle up some cash for a present for Daddy.

Based on your mentioning of the expense of FS2Crew I strongly recommend MCE....It's a great value works on most aircraft and is a super value.  FS2crew is VERY expensive after you buy it about 10 times.  I also strongly recommend FSCAPTAIN if you don't already have it.     

Gotta go for the MCE.  It works on almost every plane and has the ATC voice control which is great for realism.  I tried FS2Crew and it wasn't my cup of tea and was way too expensive seeing that I would have to buy it about a dozen times over for all the different aircraft I fly.  

As an aside, I strongly recommend FSCAPTAIN if you don't have it already.  

I'm drawn to any topic that has F.O. in the title :lol:

I second third the recommendation for MCE.

Here are my thoughts:  First off, FS2Crew modules are wonderful things (and I'm not out to knock it).  FS2Crew is very rigid.  If your phrasing is even slightly off, the command will not be recognized.  Also, while I understand it is an intentional feature designed to prevent misunderstandings, the command set is very limited and more closely linked to the flight phase.  For example, you can command Gear Up after takeoff, but once you go into the next flight phase, that is not an option.

MCE is quite a bit more flexible in this regard.  Plus you can edit the FO flows and checklists.  And as already mentioned, it supports many high quality planes in one package, including the PMDG MD-11.  They don't have the 777 yet, but I'm pretty sure it's a given that they will soon.  You can also communicate with ATC, as mentioned above.  Another good thing is that they are very responsive to customer input.  If you find a problem with something, chances are quite good that it will be taken seriously, and fixed within the next build, which seem to be released every few weeks.  FS++ is on my list of favorite developers, because instead of telling the customer they're a dumbs***, they listen to what you're saying and check it out.

The downside of MCE is that sometimes the voices can be a little robotic because they are generated, rather than just canned responses.  I don't find this to be much of a problem. 

While I'm typing this, I see that Olli has mentioned FDC.  I actually run FDC on a networked computer and have it doing the Cabin Announcements only, since it does a good job recognizing the flight phase, while MCE does the main crew interaction.  I do this because MCE cabin crew are on the floozy side.

Phillip,

Thank you kindly for your recommendation of FSCaptain!

I would like to point out for dolph98's attention that the FO feature of FSCaptain does not actively do anything beyond handing the seat belt signs, and advising the Captain of certain airline-required actions (landing lights off/on when crossing 10000ft, exceeding safe airspeed, taxiing off the runway, trying to land without lowering the gear, etc.)

However future versions of FSCaptain will (optionally) give the FO more to do.  Handle the gear... maybe manage the lights and possibly raise the darn flaps on his own!

Do note as well, if I were selected as your FO in FSCaptain I would likely be sarcastic if you do something such as leave the taxiway or runway in an aircraft not suited to "drive on the grass." :rolleyes:

I am also lucky enough to be one of the voices for Multi Crew Experience - so I can wholeheartedly recommend it as a "works in every aircraft that I have" active FO.  (I receive no renumeration for such... other than the likelihood that they will read one of my whinges   :lol:  )  

The MCE developers are right-on boffins when it comes to controlling many varieties of aircraft.

My MCE persona sounds like a cross between a sarcastic chipmunk and a grumpy Dalek.  Make of that what you can.   :wink:

I do this because MCE cabin crew are on the floozy side.

Okay, I've yet to meet her, but I think I'm going to like it....  :dance:

AivlaSoftEfbDeveloper.png

Sig1.jpg

(Each product functions in a fully-functional trial mode for interested users.)

I don't have either but plan to buy FS2crew complete set that includes NGX, RAAS, and Airbus! Price is not bad on Xmas sale. I have looked over MCE but sounds way to robotic for me. I might eventually add MCE for aircraft not covered by FS2Crew like the Q400 and i do respect that MCE does bring s lot to the table. But given the FS2Crew sale it is a no brainier at this point.

Good stuff, thanks y'all. I am downloading a free demo of MCE as we speak, and looking for a FS2Crew demo.

FS Captain looks interesting but is not what I'm after right now, so I will pass. I fly on FlyteLine (FL) and I am wondering how using FL will play with FS Captain - seems it does what FL does except keeps the records for me rather than my keeping notes myself. I love flying for virtual dollars and FL has met my needs very well. (Also a former fan of FSEconomy).

Re robotic voices in MCE - I'm used to robotic voices. I have been using RC4 which sets the standard for robotic voices IMHO. When I first got it years ago that was my major complaint. I hated it and looked for ways to make it sound more natural. Of course, I lost. Today, it's normal and business as usual to hear it and I think nothing of it at all so I can live with MCE if it does what I need with the NGX.

I checked on FS2Crew and it is $67 'on sale'. Wow. $39 on sale would be more to my liking and budget. I am cheap and just recently (November) shelled out $160 for three planes - the NGX, the AirbusX and a Beech 18. I have to recoup those damages before I spend a fortune on FO software, that's for sure.

I run full screen FSX on my hotrod PC and put everything else on the laptop (ASE and Plan-G currently). Whatever I can offload to the laptop will also be a factor in my decision. I'm not sure that process applies to F.O. but I would guess no since my PC has the sound card and mike input.

The Airbus Extended X offers a locked version of MCE as a separate download. So your trial period can last as long as you want (as long as you use the Airbus for trial).

In the Airbus configurator you find a link to the FS2Crew online manuals. Since FS2Crew don't offer a demo version, reading their complete manual online is the next best thing.

FS Captain also offer a demo version. It's not time-limited, but limited to three US airports as departure fields. As indicated by Travis already FSC does a huge number of amazing things ... but it's not exactly geared at the F/O stuff.

For RadarContact, try the Meatwater replacement voices from the AVSIM library. They are not perfect, but add a lot to the immersion.

(...)

While I'm typing this, I see that Olli has mentioned FDC.  I actually run FDC on a networked computer and have it doing the Cabin Announcements only, since it does a good job recognizing the flight phase, while MCE does the main crew interaction. 

I still use it for "inflight passenger entertainment": wav files User01 through User12 I replaced by sets of mpg songs, converted to wav format and renamed for FDC.

I do this because MCE cabin crew are on the floozy side.

And so is First Officer Dieter!!!   :LMAO: 

Hi,

Have to add my vote for MCE, been using it for years.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Olli - yes, I discovered that about MCE. After installation, it said there is no more trial left so I uninstalled and reinstalled the locked Airbus package. No problem. I have known all along that the Airbus's MCE was there once I get used to the jet so will try it sooner than planned, like as soon as I get my other crippling issues with the Airbus straightened out.

I have had a host of issues with the AirbusX. This is not the forum to complain or get help with my issues but suffice to say I somewhat regret having purchased it. I have only two flights with it under my belt. Maybe I'll try MCE today with the Airbus's checklist and co-pilot options turned off.

I forgot to add one friendly word of advice on using MCE with PMDG airplanes.  Always make sure that they are fully counted down and initialized in FSX before starting MCE.  When first using the Demo, I was convinced that MCE was completely broken, until I learned this absolutely mandatory step.

(...)

I have had a host of issues with the AirbusX. This is not the forum to complain or get help with my issues but suffice to say I somewhat regret having purchased it. (...)

Bring that to the official Aerosoft Airbus Extended forums.

I check those forums as frequently as I check AVSIM. Beta-testers and at least two RW Airbus pilots still around there as per today.

I don't have either but plan to buy FS2crew complete set that includes NGX, RAAS, and Airbus! Price is not bad on Xmas sale. I have looked over MCE but sounds way to robotic for me. I might eventually add MCE for aircraft not covered by FS2Crew like the Q400 and i do respect that MCE does bring s lot to the table. But given the FS2Crew sale it is a no brainier at this point.

I have the 737ngx fs2crew but I may buy this package while its on sale for all the other products I don't have. I find the fs2crew product for 737ngx to be well worth the money given the amount of time I spend flying. I want to get the emergency package as well, so that I can simulate failures with a copilot. Have recently picked up the airbus, but given that it comes with a copiloit and cabin announcements I am still trying to decide if I want to upgrade to fs2crew. 

One of the things I didn't like about the NGX Emergency FS2Crew was that the only voice set it works with is the Australian First Officer.  Other than that, it's really cool. 

Thanks Olli. I do have an active post about my full-screen issues on their forum. I actually didn't mean that I truly regret the purchase, but I am not the happiest camper yet. Time will tell.

So after NOT using the built-in checklist and co-pilot features, and NOT using FSX's pushback feature since each time I do it ends up in a crash, I am at FL370 in the Airbus using MCE.

This is actually cool man! Had to do a few things myself (maybe until I train it us recognize my voice better) but all in all, this is a pretty good experience with the Airbus. When it started he kept rambling about the crossfeed but it finally stopped. I remember reading about that somewhere. Anyway, it seems better as if there is someone there to talk to. I like this!

I will now surf to find out what limitations there are with the NGX using MCE. Still going to have to cough up some mula either way but I do like MCE's price best of the two.