Sign in to follow this  
Blaze

Entertaining Yourself on Medium and Long Haul Flights (In Real Time)

I'm sure this has been asked before but i am curious what others do during medium or long haul flights at real time.  I watch episodes of Air Crash Investigation on YouTube but I have seen just about every episode made including the Seconds from Disaster Series.  I'm kind of hoping someone else may post what they are doing which might also interest me  for awhile.  I don't use time acceleration as it's forbidden by my VA. I have also watched most of the WWII in color series as well as many episodes of Discovery channel "Wings" and "Sea Wings"  What am I missing?

RE Thomason Jr.

Filling OFP first, Premier league, Formula 1, cooking, cleaning, studying... You can even try to become member of virtual mile high club.

EDIT: Hitting refresh button at avsim forums tab every 30 sec like I do now.

You can even try to become member of virtual mile high club.

My virtual Stewardess (wife) brings a parachute and bails at 3500 ft. I watch a movie or hockey over my shoulder and try to keep the cats from learning what keys to step on on the keyboard that would mess the flight up the most. We have three. They all usually show up while I'm on final. They come in from all directions like a joint strike force. One in front of the monitor, one on the keyboard and one on my lap - in my face.

A lot of times I just wonder if I haven't something better to do and why I'm not doing that instead!

Happy Holidays,

Mel

I watch a movie or hockey over my shoulder

One advantage over the RW pilot is that I have a rear view mirror for watching the TV behind me without dislocating my neck. It works well so long as there are no subtitles involved.

Dugald Walker

Browse the internet, watch youtube clips, Photoshop, talk to friends on Facebook.  One of the advantages of a surround setup is not just necessarily playing in surround but running the sim maximized on one monitor and doing a variety of other things on the other two monitors. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

I have a laptop beside me during most flights so i use that. I'm flying right now (short haul though, i'm not into medium or long haul at the minute). Skype is a good way of passing the time.

I read books.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Usually read books, listen to various podcasts, music, check email and stuff on the iPad.

Interesting, is XPoi limited to some specific area or does it work globally?

Cheers,

23.png

surfing the net for a new VA 

ZORAN

I consider medium to long haul flights in Flight Simulator a waste of time. I just do short haul or use time compression at cruise altitude or slew my way to 150 miles short of the arrivals airport.

5 to 10 hours cruising in Flight Sim is time in my life I can never take back so I don't see the point, so I don't do it. Real world pilots get paid for that so that is the difference right there, and there is two of them working together instead of one guy sitting at a PC.

Matthew Kane

5 to 10 hours cruising in Flight Sim is time in my life I can never take back so I don't see the point, so I don't do it. Real world pilots get paid for that so that is the difference right there, and there is two of them working together instead of one guy sitting at a PC.

...and they get to party with lovely flight attendants at an exotic foreign destination for a couple of days when they arrive. :D

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987!