Sign in to follow this  
Blaze

Entertaining Yourself on Medium and Long Haul Flights (In Real Time)

Lately I've been watching Ice Pilots NWT. It's really interesting and has me excited for the DC-6 :smile: . Otherwise, I'll probably read PC Pilot or just browse Avsim. 

Thanks,

Kevin L

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I fly the plane.

I'm not a member of a VA that requires it, I just prefer not to use time compression.  Boredom during a long flight is all part of the experience.  If I can do the 30 hour straight-through drive from D.C to Dallas, I can certainly do 8 hours from San Francisco to Honolulu in a simulated B377.

Even with the autopilot flying the plane there's always plenty to do.  I monitor instruments, even if failures aren't implemented.  I usually have to keep a sharp eye on the fuel, as my calculations when I start cruise often leave me 150 miles short of my destination.  It's always a thrill when I hit the break-even point on the fuel, having just enough to make the runway.  Then I land with about 150 miles additional fuel. 

I like to watch the weather, if there is any.  Also, there's a lot of enjoyment that comes from watching a sunrise that can only be experienced in real time... including the wait for it.

I have no objection to anyone who has to use time compression.  But if you brag about it, it may sound a bit hollow to those of us who don't use it.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Interesting, is XPoi limited to some specific area or does it work globally?

Cheers,

It not limited at all, I use it even on short flights.

The exact position of the point of interest is shown too.

Lately I've been watching Ice Pilots NWT. It's really interesting and has me excited for the DC-6

Great, Thanks for that. 

RE Thomason Jr.

I've been watching Ultimate Airport Dubai on the nat geo youtube channel. Quite a good series, although sometimes it is a little over dramatised.

Generally I study wander aimlessly across the internet even though I likely have a lot of work I could be doing.

Study... hah!

I also keep a Laptop next to me when I fly for longer stretches. I usually keep Skyvector open and AvnWx.com to check real time weather and the route I'm flying. 

I also put on LiveATC for some background ambiance, or maybe a YT vid. I listen via a single Stereo to Mono earbud that I slip on under my FS headset.

calvin0011.gif

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

Quite a good series, although sometimes it is a little over dramatised.

Understatement of the year :)

Makes you wonder why they never make these series for people that are really interested in aviation? I can't imagine that the drama at the check-in desk is what attracts viewers to this show.  

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Makes you wonder why they never make these series for people that are really interested in aviation?

I know right! The best aviation TV show (not including pilotseye or justplanes) I've watched has to be Ice Pilots NWT. You can't beat the harmonious sound of 4 P&W radials thundering through the living room B)

I know right! The best aviation TV show (not including pilotseye or justplanes) I've watched has to be Ice Pilots NWT. You can't beat the harmonious sound of 4 P&W radials thundering through the living room B)

Agree! Ice Pilots NWT is one of the better shows, but sadly they are hooked on drama there as well.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987!