Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fulfern

ASN freezes (with FSUIPC NOT installed)

Hi all,

I'm using ASN (latest hotfix installed), with FSX SP2 and W7 pro 64.

My previous weather engine was ASE.

All is fine with ASN, except for the well known random freezes.

As I was not really using FSUIPC (I was still with v. 4.90) except for saving the flight at regular intervals I uninstalled it, but the freezes are still on.

Did anyone try the same test?

Thanks for any reply

Fulvio

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Though I had never suffered from freezes/lockups before ASN, I was getting them on flights over 1 hour in duration and was convinced that it must be a VAS memory issue that was related to ASN.  I have an expensive AV that monitors my computer but it did not detect any malware so my assumption was that it must be an unexpected consequence of ASN.  I discussed this on the Active Sky home forum and several others seemed to be having similar issues but most were not.  I decided to run a virus check one more time but this time with a different AV and sure enough I found the culprit and disposed of the malware.  I then reflew one of the flights that had previously locked up while using ASN.  This time I used the FSUIPC monitor option to display my available VAS as I flew.  This time it all functioned correctly and I never was below 2.3 G available even in extreme weather with 110nm cloud draws and 5 layers of clouds with rain at both departure and arrival...a real test.  It performed flawlessly and the weather depiction was spot on.

My point is that the issue you are experiencing may not be ASN related at all.  Though the complex nature of the weather depiction used by ASN will definitely tax any system more than ASE2012.  Though I am noticing very little difference in frame rate and I have Vista 64 and FSX SP2 so almost the same as you.