Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

REX 4 purchase....

After installing REX4 Direct.  I don't use REX Essential weather...only the texture engine..so..can I clean up my hard drive and fully delete REX E, and only now use REX4?

Is it safe to fully delete REX E from off of your hard drive?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deleting REX E is optional. Since you dont use it for its weather engine or any other features you can delete it and it wont effect REX4 texture direct functions.

John Pipilas

Win 10 ​- i7 2600k CPU - AMD Radeon R9 Fury X GPU 

Is it safe to fully delete REX E from off of your hard drive?

Yes it's safe, unless you think you might want to revert back to a favorite older REX texture set.  You also might want to think about restoring the default FSX textures from your REX-E backup first before you delete, otherwise you're not going to have an easy path back to defaults.  If you've got REX textures installed, that current texture set is what you're going to be backing up with the initial REX4 backup.

Hope that makes sense,

Scott

Yes it's safe, unless you think you might want to revert back to a favorite older REX texture set.  You also might want to think about restoring the default FSX textures from your REX-E backup first before you delete, otherwise you're not going to have an easy path back to defaults.  If you've got REX textures installed, that current texture set is what you're going to be backing up with the initial REX4 backup.

Hope that makes sense,

Scott

Thanks to you both for your comebacks.  It takes about an hour or more to sort through the combos...and create a theme you like...but I can say...that after about 30 minutes combining all sorts of combinations...I have the water looking virtually real..and quite spectacular!   I can honestly say that for myself...with water (ocean depiction around the Caribbean) being so high on my list...that REX4's water engine is worth the entire price of the texture upgrade.  It looks so real....I almost plunged into that sea...from head shaking, and rubber necking! Folks, white caps are for the first time, really there, and not canned..but life-like in animation across the swells...WOW, WOW, and Wowzer! It took me like I said..about a half hour just to get the water sub-parts where I wanted it to render.  I'm now working on clouds, upper and lower....to get it 'just' Ses-Right. :)

It loads textures (of which I can't understand this...) so fast, that you only get a couple of blips on your hard drive activity indicator...which makes me sort of ah...worried...that textures are actually all being installed. I mean..how can you install most sub-texture sets in 3 seconds...where before, it would take about a minute or more to complete. I hope that things are properly installing...in light of how fast it happens!  I know that the program is working, as other themes are arriving via the net into my screen mask from other users. So...back to tuning until I have it just right.  I wonder if you can keep REX Essential cloud textures within the sim folder, and then work around those textures to inject from REX4. In other words, can you mix and match?

Just wondering....

Deleting REX E is optional. Since you dont use it for its weather engine or any other features you can delete it and it wont effect REX4 texture direct functions.

Thanks John.  Like in my post above...the water treatment is fantastic!

Mitch

Hope that makes sense,

Scott

Yes it does, Scott. Thanks. BTW...does your texture sub-sets install like literally in 2-3 seconds into the FSX folder?  That's all it is taking on my Velociraptor drives....seriously!

Yes it does, Scott. Thanks. BTW...does your texture sub-sets install like literally in 2-3 seconds into the FSX folder?

Yeah, it does.  It's a bit spooky, I agree!

Scott

Yeah, it does.  It's a bit spooky, I agree!

Scott

Well...I found out that you can have the best of BOTH worlds!

I find that REX E gives you many more cloud combo's than presently REX4 does.  So...what I did, was to install my entire REX E texture custom set that I like...clouds, custom water color, etc.  I then finished with that...and then fired up REX4..and then went nuts with adding the great water animation mask, over the REX E water colors. Then, I added in all the new runway, signage, markings, Texture bump maps, etc...fired into the sim, the fabulous sampled precipitation and picked the number one thunder set for all three variables.  WOW...shook me to the jawbone... :)  Loved the new lightning..and picked the twin-strike.  I fired up FSX and had it JUST the way to the nines...the cloud set I love from REX E, and all the other new goodies that don't come with REX E. There you have it...and now back to FSX, and the new REX 4 fabulously rendered Atlantic of the Caribbean! :) 

Oh..BTW, I really like how the water has an 'intelligence' in that in open water, the swells amplify..but as I got closer to shore, and then into a bay on one of the islands...it slowly calmed down near the shore. WOW....then..as I headed out past the point of land at the bay's end...the water started to get more animated..until I hit open ocean..and deep modulating swells with WHITE CAPS, formed....   Truly a notch up on the virtual reality meter... :)

Back to the Caribbean...my favorite getaway....

The ocean swells are first rate, post Rex4 texture treatments.

This completes the illusion of virtual reality that was so missing from FSX for years!  REX Studios...well done, man...well done!

You have given me believable ocean and inland water bodies...and for that, I can write off the cost of the upgrade. The rest of it is icing on the cake. I'm coming up on a thunder head formation...and can already hear the difference in the sampling of the thunder and rumble...

This is good stuff! :)

Final Post Edit:  Lightning forming and strikes:

I guess that I am blogging..but so what, lol.  Here is the scoop with REX4 Direct.  It is as much about ADDING to the value of the simulation..and actually advancing features of FSX, as much as better graphics in what it touches.  For instance, I am coming up upon a thunder cell...and now being generated INSIDE the body of the cloud, is static charge which is being very well depicted as an interior lighting up. Not all static discharges results in a lightning bolt descending, and now that is being played out in the sim.  There are some internal discharges within the cloud body...and then wham...a finger of lightning bolt now either forks down towards the ground, OR now forks out to another cloud body, as is in real life.  So...REX4 actually modifies and enhances the simulation. In a word, you pay your money..and get a new variation of FSX..with features (animated water bodies) (totally random lightning effects) etc.  You'll have to decide if getting an enhanced sim (actually features like the water...which REALLY works...and isn't wonky/P3D) and better real life depiction of atmospheric events is worth the $30.00 or so. For myself...and because I have it..and see what Tim and gang was up to...I'd say yes...it is worth the amount of admission to further the REX massaging of base FSX.  Now...more flying with FSX.25 and less blogging... :)

Cheers!

As mentioned above, REX4 comes with many fewer options for most of the textures than REX E had. I hope there will be more to come...

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

As mentioned above, REX4 comes with many fewer options for most of the textures than REX E had. I hope there will be more to come...

Yes, I found that it does...so, I am really calling this REX E v1.25   That's what it is...but the 1.25 REALLY offers in the water and lightning depiction department. Combine REX E.v1.25 (lol) with ASN....and boy...FSX has matured.  I'm using a really great O.D. cloud set from REX E...with the goodies of REX4  added to that..  It's working for me....water color and clouds from REX E..and the rest in place by REX4....er... v1.25v  Sorry Tim..but that's how I see it.

REX4 in my opinion, should not have been released as a stand alone 'program'. Sorry. No.  I paid $32.00 for the water and the lightning. It gave me what I wanted, but it is no stand alone. This is a texture upgrade 'pack' with a pretty installer/wrapper.  Other opinions might vary. This is how I see it.

Ses

Merry Chistmas all!

Ok so now that I have both REX E and REX 4, how do I turn off Options such as clouds? (I use FEX for cloud sets, I like much better than REX clouds). There is no GUI for choosing texture install options in REX 4? If one removes REX E, then by default ALL REX 4 texture options would be installed, no? Confusing!

I agree, should have been an update. Seems REX will be breaking it all down to components and then charging full money for each?

Welcome to 2014-lol!

Flying a 2 Seat Static GA Simulator out of CYYZ.

Just wondering....

It's possible P3DV2 permits location references rather than having to actually move the textures over ... so all that changes are path references.  I don't know this for sure, but it's just my guess.  (it's what I would code if I were working for LM)

Hi guys

I have a question I am going to uninstall rex essentials plus od and install rex4 direct for textures  and use fs global weather for weather injection is this a good idea? Any advise is greatly appreciated thank you and a very merry Christmas to all.

I also use FS Global for weather inject. Much less popping clouds (REX still crazy) and horizon lines etc...

I think we still need REX E if you want to choose what to install eg) turn off REX weather, or clouds (this was my concern above).

Flying a 2 Seat Static GA Simulator out of CYYZ.