Sign in to follow this  
NRiese

Flightplanning and ATC help

Hi everybody.

First I apologize if this isn't the right forum to post in. I couldn't figure out if it was or not.

I'm a newbie to FSX, but I want to 'take it to the next level' with SIDS/STARS etc. I've been following several guides explaining how to create a flight plan with SIDS/STARS etc. using FlightSim Commander. However, I used to fly with the default ATC but I can't get it to work with the SIDS/STARS - actually I have no idea how to use the ATC and follow my flight plan at the same time. For example if we have a flight from EKCH - EGLL:

EKCH LANG1C LANGO M611 DEGUL UN872 PAM UL980 LOGAN BIG1E BIG EGLL

I have the SIDS/STARS and the flight plan and I take it into the FMS. But then what next? I can't use it with the ATC because the ATC commands me to turn here and there, and when I'm approaching the airport it tells me to fly in a completely different direction than my flight plan. I think it's okay that it tells me when to descend/ascend though.

Maybe it sounds stupid but I have no clue how all this work - so if somebody could tell me how it works, give me some tips or anything I would really appreciate that!

I have heard about Radar Contact and Pro-Atc and if that will fix the situation I am willing to go buy one of these. I hope you guys can help me!

- Nikolas

Sorry for posting this twice! It told me that I should try again later, because it didn't work, so please just answer to my other post! :-)

Hi everybody.

First I apologize if this isn't the right forum to post in. I couldn't figure out if it was or not.

I'm a newbie to FSX, but I want to 'take it to the next level' with SIDS/STARS etc. I've been following several guides explaining how to create a flight plan with SIDS/STARS etc. using FlightSim Commander. However, I used to fly with the default ATC but I can't get it to work with the SIDS/STARS - actually I have no idea how to use the ATC and follow my flight plan at the same time. For example if we have a flight from EKCH - EGLL:

EKCH LANG1C LANGO M611 DEGUL UN872 PAM UL980 LOGAN BIG1E BIG EGLL

I have the SIDS/STARS and the flight plan and I take it into the FMS. But then what next? I can't use it with the ATC because the ATC commands me to turn here and there, and when I'm approaching the airport it tells me to fly in a completely different direction than my flight plan. I think it's okay that it tells me when to descend/ascend though.

Maybe it sounds stupid but I have no clue how all this work - so if somebody could tell me how it works, give me some tips or anything I would really appreciate that!

I have heard about Radar Contact and Pro-Atc and if that will fix the situation I am willing to go buy one of these. I hope you guys can help me!

- Nikolas

Sorry for posting this twice! It told me that I should try again later, because it didn't work, so please just answer to my other post! :-)

The default atc will not give you sids and stars. You can get sids/stars assigned with addons. I have voxatc and that will assign them for you. I believe radar contact and pro atc will as well. Also, if you fly online with vatsim the controllers can assign you sids/stars. 

Only thing I can tell you is you don't want to be using default ATC. Not sure about Radar Contact or Pro ATC, but if you fly on VATSIM, the controllers will assign them.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

This is an old thread from when I was in your position looking for an atc program. I believe it has been announced that there will be no radar contact 5. I know there was a lot of concern about whether or not pro-atc development was proceeding forward at the time. Maybe they have started back up again and somebody can chime in.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/413064-atc-recommendations/

I think I'll try the demo of VoxATC.

I still have some questions though.

1. I'm usually flying IFR, so will the ATC even use my SIDS/STARS? I just don't think I get it 100% - I load the flight plan into my FMS with all the waypoints and SIDS/STARS, but I just saw a video which said that I shouldn't use the SIDS/STARS. I mean, how does it work? Will I be able to load my flight plan with SIDS/STARS into the FMC, file flight plan, ask for clearance and then the ATC will be able to 'see' my SIDS/STARS or?

2. How do I know when to be at FL*X* on my route? The ATC tell me to "climb and maintain FL250" for example. Will the ATC continue to do this or do I have to find out myself at each waypoint how high I'm supposed to be?

I hope it makes sense :) I'm pretty new to whole this thing, I used to just fly for fun and select the airport where I take off and the destination airport and let the atc guide me :)

I have just bought VOXATC and what I can tell you is that:

1) you have to have a aircraft, such as a PMDG whatever make/model that has a functioning FMC.

2) you will have to open an account with say Navigraph and buy the latest NAvdata for the aircraft you are flying and the ATC program you are using, as well as your flight planner and weather program (sound's expensive but it isn't).

Having done this, your ATC program, if it handles SIDS & STARS, will issue you with them during your flight.

Some programs, such as RC4 will recognize you SID and/or STAR, but you must include it/them during the flight planning stage.

Hope this gives you a bit of an idea.

Regard,

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Hi Nikolas,

That`s what ATC does even if you fly with vatsim they mess with your flight plan just go with it ............its a lot of work in the cockpit, thats why there are two pilots......I use FS2Crew its helps...the co-pilot does most of the work for you............

Brian...

Hi Nikolas,

That`s what ATC does even if you fly with vatsim they mess with your flight plan just go with it ............its a lot of work in the cockpit, thats why there are two pilots......I use FS2Crew its helps...the co-pilot does most of the work for you............

Brian...

Yes forgot to mention that, Brian makes a good point, just because ATC has accepted or assigned your Departure/Arrival procedure doesn't mean it will let you fly it all the way.

Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Okay, thanks. It all sounds pretty complicated, but I will try it out tomorrow. I primarily fly the Airbus X or iFly 737NG. I can't find the navdata or anything for the iFly, but I'm not sure what exactly you mean. By downloading the navdata, will I be able to see when to reach for example FL250? Or is it something completely else it does?

I've made a flight plan using FlightSim Commander. With Vox-ATC will it be necessary to "file flight plan" using the standard flight planner? I really think it sucks and I can't even load it into FSX because it's not a .PLN file. I used the Vatsim real routefinder and loaded it into FlightSim commander and added SIDS/STARS. But I haven't bought it, so I can't save the file. I tried to load it into simroutes.com, but it couldn't find SIDS/STARS for EKCH.

So I am still pretty lost to be honest.

I highly suggest Radar Contact 4. You can load any flight you want into the program and it handles the ATC and you can fly the route you filed with whatever program. No need to load anything in FSX just load it in RC4 and fly. It's a fantastic program. 

With VOXATC, the methodology as far as loading a flight plan is very similar. All you need is a flight planner that can export a flight plan in .PLN format to FSX and then the only interaction with FSX flight planner you need is to load it. After that, you do nothing with the FSX flight planner. In fact with VOX you don't even have to have a SID or STAR in the flight plan, VOX will assign one to you in accordance with the weather.

Regards,

Rick Hobbs

I'm not sure what exactly you mean. By downloading the navdata, will I be able to see when to reach for example FL250? Or is it something completely else it does?

The navdata you need is the AIRAC cycle that has to be installed into your ifly 737 and any addon you use that requires it, such as Opus or FsBuild. Take a look at the "FMS Data Download" page on the Navigraph web site.

I guess I have to load it into the FMC also, right? Inclusive SIDS/STARS

If you want to use a flight plan and SIDS &STARS, no matter what you fly, yes you will have to load your flight plan into the FMC of the plane you fly. I can't speak for the ifly 737, but if you use the PMDG NGX, you have to manually enter the SIDS & STARS into the FMC as in the RW. You cannot include it into your original flight plan if you are going to use the CO Route method.

Regards,

Rick Hobbs

It works the same way as the PMDG NGX so not a problem :-)

I can't get the Vox-ATC demo to work - but I'm not sure if I should go for Vox-ATC, Pro-ATC, RC 4 or whatever. Anyone has experience with these?

I'm not sure if I should go for Vox-ATC, Pro-ATC, RC 4 or whatever. Anyone has experience with these?

You aren't going to get an easy answer to this as various people have various strong views for their favourite and against the rest.  

I use ProATC-X and for me, that works well with IFR and SIDS & STARS in Europe (or probably more exactly outside America) that are allocated at the relevant time depending on the weather - i.e. not decided in advance.  Others are going to tell you ProATC-X is a terrible product. 

My advice?  Don't even bother to ask.  You'll have to your own research using whatever manuals, demos, and videos you can find.  If you can afford to buy them all, you have more spare cash than I do.

ngxu_banner.png