Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Why is the PMDG B772 Worth the Price?

Is it worth the price?

It depends very much on what type of flying you want to do. If you're interested in learning about heavy airliner flying then there's not much that can beat it. As far as systems simulation and attention to detail goes it's hands down the best available right now. So in that respect at least yes it's definitely worth the money.

If, however, the thought of flying along a magenta line on autopilot for 10 hours fills you with dread, or you like to fly into very detailed airport sceneries with lots of AI and weather, then you might be better off looking elsewhere.

Because Robert said good things about X-Plane 10, and now I love PMDG too ( I actually finally forgave them for letting me stay with two kids in my hands and get away... those 777 and 757s for Fly!2...), and we will get a PMDG in X-Plane 10 too, and that will be great and a first time in history.... Not that we don't already have other excellent add-ons for X-plane!!!

I just don't understand why the Majestic Q-400  is so cheap ???? The level of detail, and the quality is remarkable!!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I thought about that as well but I've already got my fast king air 200 and tbm850.

This is a lot faster. I definitely won't be doing long hauls. On the contrary they'll be limited to the route SFO to LAX or to LAS on pilot edge. There's a few more airports that can handle the B77F (thanks for correcting me), but most of my flying is in pilot edge. Some on vatsim. I intend to use it as a massive business jet for short hops with high CI, burning tons of fuel, and not caring lol! In short, to have fun!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Intelligent time compression means you can do a transatlantic flight in 2 hours with no fear of the plane falling out the sky as you would with manual time compression

Jay

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

disclaimer: Don't have the 777 yet

I'm always hesitant to buy something before at least one service pack, so I thought I would hold off.  The FBW issue (being discussed in other threads) solidified that decision.  I'm like "Really?", because I think of that as one of the feature attractions, a major, defining peice of functionality. Then P3Dv2 came out, and though I haven't transitioned, it makes me not want to buy any new thing for FSX.  I figure I'll pick it up the 777 in a future P3D version, with whatever refinements service packs bring.

I understand the need for speed, but that difference in the cruise speeds is going to be relatively small if you intend to fly short flights anyway.   I guess if you're bored with the NGX, then the 777 would be a logical choice though!

Valency, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

"valency".  I thought my vocabulary was pretty good, but that's definitely a word that I had to look up in the dictionary to understand what you meant!  I had only previously known valence as it refers to the energy state of an electron. :lol:  :lol:

"valency".  I thought my vocabulary was pretty good, but that's definitely a word that I had to look up in the dictionary to understand what you meant!  I had only previously known valence as it refers to the energy state of an electron. :lol:  :lol:

Where in Portugal we say: "Quem o feio ama, bonito lhe parece..."    :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

It is the best in terms of state of the art for making an add-on of this type.  It is peerless and you are paying to participate in this elevated space. However, I would think it would help if you lived and breathed for tubeliner operations.  This isn't your sunday driver, it should be something that would dominate your flying.  A vast number of the hours I've put in this Fall were 777 flights. However, I'll still get a real air or A2A plane now and again (and sometimes Carenado), when I need something for low and slow.  I'd say part of the answer lies in your own habits.  However, there is no doubt that this is the absolutely best aircraft you can buy for FSX at the moment if you want to enjoy advanced techniques of craft, require high-fidelity and realism, and appreciate overall polish and attention to detail.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

(...) I had to look up in the dictionary (...)

Exactly what I did to translate my (German) thoughts into English!   :lol:

Look out for my upcoming topics:   :rolleyes:

• "Worthiness is pretty much anybody's guess"   :ph34r:
  • and "Why do flightsimmers pull each others' legs so often"   :p0805:

It's worth it because I keep flying it, almost daily, every few days I fly a 6+ hour flight. And I never get bored of this great airplane. So many features and the quality is second to none. I can't wait for their patch to fix a few small nagging issues and it will be perfect. I can see myself flying this airplane until the 747v2 comes out. Worth it!

Ryan, does your wife call you "Captain"? Didn't think so... Buy the plane and join the group of Captaineers... :rolleyes:

I think in your case in may not be worth it.  I have it and the NGX and I think you will find it a bit boring vs the NGX, it is very automated and really not that much to do to get it flying.  If you are not into airliners that much then are you really going to like a 4 to 14 hour flight length?  You seem to be more focused on the speed but really at 35000ft whether you are flying at 0.84 or 0.89 its not going to make that much difference to the experience.  Having said all of this I do like the T7, I think it will actually be helped by the addition of FS2Crew.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Ryan,

Since it came out I fly it 95% of the time. Is it worth $90?

For me it has better FPS than the ngx

Because it's more automated I don't feel the need for FS2Crew, so there's a saving there.

VAS, well I've just done KIAD to KJFK, with REX4/ASN, full over case two huge addon airports, Orbx Global on max auto gen, no OOM's

IMO it's worth every penny. It feels a huge VC and everything about it is stunning.

please don't think for 1 second you have to do 14hr flights because it a T7 it's silly to think like that.

I fly KIAD-KJFK

KPHX-KLAX

etc

No long hauls but if you do it have a brand new build  in time compression upto x16 or 32 built in by PMDG.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

After glancing at the QW $20 sale on their B752, and realizing the only tube I have that's not outdated is the B738, I think I'd like to fly something faster than the NGX. But it needs to have Navigraph support, which rules out the F18 Superbug I already own. Since we don't have any updated bizjets (I also own the C750) which would easily cruise mid mach .8 I am starting to think harder and consider the PMDG B772.

But golly, it's almost $90. Which is a lot to me because this tube thing isn't normally my type of flying. But the max cruise is around mach .89 - that's REALLY fast! When I fly it's online and I simulate being a bzillionaire with a private aircraft that I can fly fast fast fast. I don't care about entering the perfect CI for pax flying. I usually enter 80 in the B738! I will fly with the engine/s in the green but I like to push things.

You might think $90 is cheap - maybe dinner and a movie for two (something I rarely see anymore with my lovely kids around!) But I want to know why YOU think the PMDG B772 is worth the 89 greenbacks they ask!

If you could be specific - maybe it's something about the failure options you enjoy, perhaps the crystal clear text on the displays is the reason you parted with the money, or maybe it's just brand loyalty!

My thought process is to spend less than one fourth the price and end up with a fairly "lite" but speedy B752 or drop the big dollars on the B772.

Calling all PMDG phan bois - win me over!

Fidelity is king. $90 is a lot of money for the casual simmer, but this isn't for the casual simmer. If all you want is a fast plane that uses AIRAC data, there are plenty of other cheaper options out there. If you want faithful system re-creation and the challenge of mastering a heavy airliner, then this is the best there is.

By the way, my needs (short, medium and long range) are now met with the Majestic Q400, the NGX and the PMDG 777. All that's missing now is Hardy Heinlin's PSX, which I hope to have sometime next year. There are cheaper fleets out there, for sure. The only thing you have to decide is how serious you are.