Sign in to follow this  
klamal

Will OpusFSI match or surpass ASN?

I'm guessing that we are going to have to wait until this next version to see whether Opus can match and/or surpass what ASN has done. Because, at least with the latest release version(3.39.0), they have a ways to go to match ASN.

Will OpusFSI at least equal ASN? Will we finally get no more cloud popping? Will we see no more rain when flying in clear skies without a cloud around? I'm doing a flight right now(EGLL-EDDM) and have seen both of these situations. The cloud popping, 3 or 4 different times. The rain when no clouds around, once.

I'm trying to hold out as I'm sure they will get there. It just doesn't look like it's happening with OpusFSX as the problems that supposedly are being fixed in each of these latest releases - well, they are still there and this still is no where close to a "smooth" experience from departure to arrival like ASN demo was.

Again, don't get me wrong, the weather Opus is generating is still great and the DHM is too. They just have to find the magic that ASN has.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

I'm guessing that we are going to have to wait until this next version to see whether Opus can match and/or surpass what ASN has done.

I guess you've just answered the question posed in your thread title!  :lol:

I do agree with everything else you say, but it sure is going to be interesting to see what happens. I find that Opus is a lot of hype, yet failing to quite deliver. Besides, it's a constant download trying to keep up with a "beta in progress". Let's hope they take a more "finished product" approach with their next venture. Isn't competition great?

Before ASN, they I guess deserved the hype because we didn't know any better. It was a time when we were made to believe some FSX bugs would never be squashed. Well, then ASN comes along and it's now a whole new ball game as the bar has been raised again!

Yes, competition is great! Though not so much on the wallet as I may be spending another $30 soon. :)

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

While I dont agree that opus is way behind ASN I'm a bit confused by OpusFSI, can somebody fill me in please. I've looked at both forums but haven't found anything

Thanks

I used the asn demo, it looked really pretty from the UI point of view, but the numbers did not add up, and some times the forecast for  my arrival was way off. So I think its rather asn needs to catch up to opus, there depiction and forecasts are always on the money, there cloud popping has been greatly improved to the point i never seem to notice it anymore.

While I dont agree that opus is way behind ASN I'm a bit confused by OpusFSI, can somebody fill me in please. I've looked at both forums but haven't found anything

Thanks

I don't think opus is way behind. But, they have lost the lead and at least with their current product, they don't appear like they can "catch up". They have said in the last how many betas that cloud popping is fixed yet I still see them. And then the rain in blue skies too is the first time I've seen that in a while. I didn't experience that in ASN but I did only use that for 7 days so take that for what it's worth. But, I believe this is something ASN fixes.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

They have said in the last how many betas that cloud popping is fixed yet I still see them.

Same here...

I tested Opus after a long time once more with v. 3.38.5 which was announced as greatly improved cloud smoothing.

During descend to LEBL there were some clouds in front of me on the french - spanish border. The spanish airspace behind was completely cloudless at that moment.

Seconds later, with the next weather update - boom - sky was full of clouds up to the horizon.

So Opus does not fix this problem contrary to given announcements in their forum.

Intel i9 12900K, Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z690-A Wifi D4, GSkill 32gb, RTX 4090

Regards Chris Kathi

And still happens today, about 9 months later... I wish it could be solved, this is really very distractive!

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

And still happens today, about 9 months later... I wish it could be solved, this is really very distractive!

Which is why so many are using ASN.

The people that make OPUS are about 30 miles away from me, so would love them to make the best weather engine. But it's not, ASN is, simple as that, there UI is miles ahead also. OPUS ace card is there cameras but I don't use them I use ezdoc.

If OPUS made a stand alone camera programme that worked with any weather engine so we could all do away with ezdoc they would have a huge hit on there hands. 

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I really like the Opus support and how this guys try hard, BUT i do not understand why we have to pay again for a "new product" when the "previous" one wasn't working 100% ? Opusfsx was never really working like a weather engine should...so i think its just a poor way to get money on the same product again which i am not sure gonna be much different from the last one. 

Roi Ben

I converted from Opus to ASN and I wont be going back.

I was/am frustrated by the constant updates, wile its good to get updates it feels like your being drip fed updates for a product that isn't really up to it. 

I personally don't like the camera part or the multi view functions in Opus.

I tried ASN and IMO its the best by far, its a polished product with tons of capability and produces really nice 'life like' weather.

Rich

ASN have a Beta out at present, one of teh FSX BUGS they are trying to resolve is whn you fly away from a weather staion the weather just stops, considering that teh whole world is not covered with weather stations and New Zealand has issues of its own, the beta tries to interpolate the weather from surrounding weather staions to try get the weather real. Should read about it on there forums. You will have to register though. Its looking so much better, than there is teh new Aerosoft weathe radar to work with it.

I really like the Opus support and how this guys try hard, BUT i do not understand why we have to pay again for a "new product" when the "previous" one wasn't working 100% ? Opusfsx was never really working like a weather engine should...so i think its just a poor way to get money on the same product again which i am not sure gonna be much different from the last one.

I don't think that is a fair statement. Current OpusFSX customers have to pay an upgrade fee of $25 to get OpusFSI, which is half the price new customers have to pay. If I am not mistaken, upgrading from ActiveSky 2012 to ActiveSky Evolution also required an upgrade fee, as did the upgrade from ActiveSky Evolution to ActiveSky Next. By your standard does that mean none of those ActiveSky products were "finished" either?

Almost everything in FSX and P3D is in constant improvement/development, especially weather engines. We are very fortunate to have 2 outstanding weather engines in ASN and OpusFSI. It's good to see them push each other to get better.

Todd

I used the asn demo, it looked really pretty from the UI point of view, but the numbers did not add up, and some times the forecast for  my arrival was way off. So I think its rather asn needs to catch up to opus, there depiction and forecasts are always on the money, there cloud popping has been greatly improved to the point i never seem to notice it anymore.

Strange. On my system, ASN is always very accurate. I am particularly impressed when I fly in the area in which I live. The weather outside and in FSX are always nicely matched :)