Sign in to follow this  
klamal

Will OpusFSI match or surpass ASN?

Here is my take on ASN.  If it isn't broke, don't try to fix it with something else.

I think I'll stay out of this one, but I'm posting so I can lurk! :P

James McLees

I don't think that is a fair statement. Current OpusFSX customers have to pay an upgrade fee of $25 to get OpusFSI, which is half the price new customers have to pay. If I am not mistaken, upgrading from ActiveSky 2012 to ActiveSky Evolution also required an upgrade fee, as did the upgrade from ActiveSky Evolution to ActiveSky Next. By your standard does that mean none of those ActiveSky products were "finished" either?

Almost everything in FSX and P3D is in constant improvement/development, especially weather engines. We are very fortunate to have 2 outstanding weather engines in ASN and OpusFSI. It's good to see them push each other to get better.

Todd

Well... when opusfsx getting stuck in mid flight and opus support telling me its known issue but there is nothing they can do about it, so iam very sorry but that's a "not finished product". 

Roi Ben

I had opusfsi beta and after it expired I finally gave the weekly free ASN trial an go...

How can I put it... I'm not gonna buy opusFSI...

The features ASN brings to the table is by far obsolete to OpusFSI. Man this engine knows where the clouds is!! Lowers the visibility when you enter it - smoothly!! Insta buy!!

Sure ASN has it quirks (Like no updates of arrival weather in some conditions) but this could be some setting I have to iron out.. For me opusFSX was a gift from heaven but as the program moved on in development it got more and more inaccurate.. Started to get wind shifts, clear visibility in IMC conditions(wasn't a problem in early opus - heck I still have the metar comparison screens I did).

Only thing I would miss is the cameras.. Which I have from OpusFSX, so that's not an problem ;)

Brgrds soon to be ex. OpusFSX user and new ASN user and boy! Have I been missing out!!!

(I am in no way affiliated with the Hifi brand or selling their products)

The features ASN brings to the table is by far obsolete to OpusFSI. Man this engine knows where the clouds is!! Lowers the visibility when you enter it - smoothly!! Insta buy!!

Based on the first statement, you are not going to buy OpusFSI, I think you have the second statement reversed?

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Sure ASN has it quirks (Like no updates of arrival weather in some conditions) but this could be some setting I have to iron out.. For me opusFSX was a gift from heaven but as the program moved on in development it got more and more inaccurate.. Started to get wind shifts, clear visibility in IMC conditions(wasn't a problem in early opus - heck I still have the metar comparison screens I did).

Only thing I would miss is the cameras.. Which I have from OpusFSX, so that's not an problem ;)

Interesting you mention this. I too thought the earlier versions of OpusFSX had better and more accurate weather than the later ones. I switched over to Active Sky Next some time ago and am quite pleased with the results.

You might want to check your Active Sky Next settings regarding the updates on arrival. There is a setting for that (can't remember the exact naming though, maybe no updates on approach or something similar). Also, you can still use you Opus cameras in conjunction with Active Sky Next, as I do. Start Opus but uncheck the weather engine option.

Cheers,

Serge

Edit: re-read your post and it appears you do have the Opus camera's running with ASN.

Lian Li PC-P60B | Corsair HX620 | GA-Z370XP-SLI | i5 8600K | Noctua NH-D15 | GTX1080 8GB | 48GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 1TB | WD 1TB | Dell U3419W 34" | CH Yoke & Pedals | Track IR4 | Win10 64 | MSFS

(Like no updates of arrival weather in some conditions)

Are you sure you loaded a FS flightplan?, ASN will only give you arrival weather if it has a FS Flightplan loaded.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

Based on the first statement, you are not going to buy OpusFSI, I think you have the second statement reversed?

Hmm not sure what you mean.. second statement is related to Active sky next :) that it ? :)

Interesting you mention this. I too thought the earlier versions of OpusFSX had better and more accurate weather than the later ones. I switched over to Active Sky Next some time ago and am quite pleased with the results.

You might want to check your Active Sky Next settings regarding the updates on arrival. There is a setting for that (can't remember the exact naming though, maybe no updates on approach or something similar). Also, you can still use you Opus cameras in conjunction with Active Sky Next, as I do. Start Opus but uncheck the weather engine option.

Cheers,

Serge

Edit: re-read your post and it appears you do have the Opus camera's running with ASN.

Yup exactly the same as my experience.. Check theese screenshots(Cannot get them to show, but check the links) I think its from some of the first Opus versions :P

https://www.dropbox.com/s/63ajpvavnifm8v3/2012-11-20_15-24-56-325.BMP?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p4i0joq8os57pm0/2012-11-20_15-25-15-386.BMP?dl=0

Yeah :) thats what I meant.. is it the surpress local weather changes option I have to edit? I have no updates on approach..  I might need to elaborate; The Arrival weather seems good enough, but the Metar is very old.. on com 122.200

Are you sure you loaded a FS flightplan?, ASN will only give you arrival weather if it has a FS Flightplan loaded.

I loaded an flightplan in ASN, but I didnt load any in FSX

also: Using an flightplan from an source that doesnt export to .pln format, which is the easier way for getting it in ASN? atm I just fill dep, arrival & cruise altitude and let it generate its own plan...

I think Opus was superior on this, cause you could just C/P your waypoints from whichever source you had..

What I mean is you first state after trying ASN  you were not going to buy OPUSFS, which seems to indicate you didn't like OPUSFSI. Then you say "The features ASN brings to the table is by far obsolete to OpusFSI." Obsolete meaning out of date which seems to contradict your first statement. So are you saying you like ASN over OPUSFSI, or OPUSFSI over ASN, or neither?

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

What I mean is you first state after trying ASN  you were not going to buy OPUSFS, which seems to indicate you didn't like OPUSFSI. Then you say "The features ASN brings to the table is by far obsolete to OpusFSI." Obsolete meaning out of date which seems to contradict your first statement. So are you saying you like ASN over OPUSFSI, or OPUSFSI over ASN, or neither?

Lol Tom you make it sound complex  :LMAO: 

André

What I mean is you first state after trying ASN you were not going to buy OPUSFS, which seems to indicate you didn't like OPUSFSI. Then you say "The features ASN brings to the table is by far obsolete to OpusFSI." Obsolete meaning out of date which seems to contradict your first statement. So are you saying you like ASN over OPUSFSI, or OPUSFSI over ASN, or neither?

You are so right :D

I mean ASN is superior to OpusFSI.. As in I'm gonna buy ASN not FSI

Thanks for pointing it out

If OPUS made a stand alone camera programme that worked with any weather engine so we could all do away with ezdoc they would have a huge hit on there hands. 

What a great idea, I'm all in for it, and even though I had bought Opus, I'd purchase their stand alone camera package.

Thanks,

Dirk.

What a great idea, I'm all in for it, and even though I had bought Opus, I'd purchase their stand alone camera package.

Thanks,

Dirk.

Put me in this list!

That would be so clever to separate the functionalities, so that we could use the modules we wanted from whichever developer we wanted, and optimazing memory and processor usage.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

I have a bit of confusion here. Hopefully someone can help.

First my system:

i5-2500K @ standard speed - 3.3GHZ

16GB DDR3 RAM

3 drives - OS on a 256GB SSD, 1TB standard hard drive with 64MB cache, and another 256GB SSD for Prepar3d.

Video card - R9 280X PCIE GDDR5 3GB, with three 22" monitors.

OpusFSI for weather

All of the major Orbx/FTX scenery, with most of the sliders, in P3d, all the way to the right & the eye candy like scenery shadows/reflections checked.

So this isn't a high end gaming system. Good, but not great.

A few questions:

1) I've had absolutely no cloud "popping" with this video card.

Question - Do most of you have Nvidia?

2) I downloaded the Active Sky Next P3d demo and tried to setup the Hurricane Sandy weather for Dix Field (0NJ6) New Jersey on October 29, 2012. No luck finding a hurricane there.

Question - Do you have to file a flight plan just to cruse around and get real weather?

3) I'm assuming that most of you aren't using multiple monitors? That's one of the features in the OpusFS series that I find indispensable.

Question - If you do have multiple monitors, what do you use in place of Opus Live View to synchronize multiple screen displays?

4) I'm sure that many people don't need, or even want, to add custom camera views to their sim.

Question - Is there a good replacement to the OpusFS Live Camera?

5) I bought a ButtKicker Gamer2 over a year ago and was very unsatisfied with the effects in FSX/P3d. It was GREAT with music and videos, but otherwise unimpressive.

Question - OpusFS will let you custom control up to 3 ButtKickers (I'm using 2 now). Is there an alternative to the OpusFSI/FSX ButtKicker control?

1421038905.jpg

1421080537.jpg

I have a bit of confusion here. Hopefully someone can help.

If your having Problems, Opus have a fantastic support team,  find there support page and they will be glad to help:) 

Edited by Daveo
Reply to abusive post edited.