Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

Interesting airplane currents (pic)

Looks like an older plane so I assume this test video is older also.

0cnPC1u.gif

Hmmm.. I love the sound of wake turbulence in the morning.  I've plane spotted on hog island road at KPHL many times and the sound of the wake turbulence about 10 seconds after the plane passes is a sound and experience that just can't be described.  It's just surreal.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

The plane may be old but the results are spot on. Could you imagine getting caught in that in a light AC. Guess where you are headed?

Looks like a wind tunnel, or maybe even oil tunnel to me, but pretty cool nonetheless.

Looks like a wind tunnel, or maybe even oil tunnel to me, but pretty cool nonetheless.

Might be NASA.. They did a ton of vortice tests back in the 70s.  As Ron said.. Defintely not something you'd want to fly through in a small craft... You're only headed one place..

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Ahh HA! Found the source video

At 1:41 is where the clip  the animated GIF in the first post is from..  The whole video is very good though.. 

Hmmm.. I love the sound of wake turbulence in the morning.  I've plane spotted on hog island road at KPHL many times and the sound of the wake turbulence about 10 seconds after the plane passes is a sound and experience that just can't be described.  It's just surreal.

Are you talking about parking on the side of the road right under the approach path of runway 35?   It's always fun to have the CRJ's pass over, you really can hear the ghostly sounds of the wake as it hits the ground.   Sometimes, with the right wind conditions, you can even smell the burnt rubber after jets land on 27R!

I've spend many hours spotting all over hog island road, and remember fondly the pre 9/11 days when security left you alone.  I even remember a little parking area right along side runway 27R, long before runway 26 was constructed, and where the current general aviation apron is.  I would sometimes stop there during my break from college classes and plane spot while having lunch!

Just remembered of Pushing Tin movie. In some scenes - if I remember well- two friends spotting aircraft at threshold where 'thrown' up in the air!!! (or at lest this was their imagination). Also Angelina was in the cast.

Sam. 

Waiting for the 64-bit PSION Flightsim for ZX-Spectrum ////

Are you talking about parking on the side of the road right under the approach path of runway 35?   It's always fun to have the CRJ's pass over, you really can hear the ghostly sounds of the wake as it hits the ground.   Sometimes, with the right wind conditions, you can even smell the burnt rubber after jets land on 27R!

I've spend many hours spotting all over hog island road, and remember fondly the pre 9/11 days when security left you alone.  I even remember a little parking area right along side runway 27R, long before runway 26 was constructed, and where the current general aviation apron is.  I would sometimes stop there during my break from college classes and plane spot while having lunch!

I used to park there for a bit near 35.. I know exactly where you mean.. The shoulder opens up quite wide there opposite the fence. I used to primarily sit at 27R right near the entrance to Fort Mifflin. Right there you get the best wake turbulence.. Even after 9/11 they left you alone for the most part as long as you parked on the opposite side of the airport fence. A few summers ago though I was sitting there peacefully and I got the old "Move along now" hand wave from some unmarked car.. Now a days when I'm in the mood to plane spot I just pay $3.00 and soak up history at Fort Mifflin and watch the birds fly over for 27R... Great views from there and great place to soak up some American history. No one bothers you there, it's nearly the same experience as parking on the road and your money goes to a good cause..

http://youtu.be/RdDbLD2ePgc

Listen to the surreal sound from 0:55, wow.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Saw a 747 going out of Miami going through some extremely low clouds, and saw this effect...It was the coolest thing I have ever seen

http://youtu.be/RdDbLD2ePgc

Listen to the surreal sound from 0:55, wow.

That's the closet I've seen in a video of someone capturing it.. What it can't capture is the depth of it..  Coming at you, the behind you, then from the side, then down on you from above, then from the front again in this weird surreal out of body type experience.  The audio and ripping affect is constantly shifting around you.  You're not short from thinking a Delorean is going to fly out of a rip in the sky from 1985...