Sign in to follow this  
gfd

Shift

I have to ask about the shift function. It has been a long time since I've used it. I can't seem to remember what I'm doing wrong.  I believe that Global shifts all controllers and Local shifts only on the controller that contains the shift button. I have setup a button on my joystick to Global Shift. All of my functional buttons are on my throttle. To summarize:

-joystick button 2 GLOBAL SHIFT (On Press). When I check the shifted box at top right the joystick button 2 is empty.

-buttons 1 - 12 on throttle are assigned (On Press).

-buttons 1 - 12 on throttle (shifted) are assigned to 12 different functions (On Press).

I don't seem to be able to activate the shifted buttons using button 2 on the joystick. When I get the answer, I'll probably kick myself for being so thick. Better to look dumb and learn, than look smart and know nothing.

I've attached 4 screenshots in case my explanation is inadequate.

post-259582-0-91002700-1387773757.pngpost-259582-0-40950100-1387773756.pngpost-259582-0-95245700-1387773759.pngpost-259582-0-94831000-1387773758.png

Thanks for reading this. Thanks for your help.

Season's Greetings

Graham

The shift function works in the following way:

Global shift switches permanent between two states.

The "other" shift just works as long as you have pressed a second (the shifting) button

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your reply Guenter,

I think I understand what you are telling me, and that is certainly how I think that the software should operate. What throws me is this: if I set up Global Shift in my joystick and press shift, the buttons on my throttle stay shifted even after I release the Global Shift button. The only way I was able to get it to work was to set up the button as follows: On Press (Global Shift), On Repeat (Global Shift), On Release (Local Shift). Now when I press and hold the shift button on my joystick, the buttons on the throttle are shifted. When I release the Global Shift button on the joystick, the buttons on the throttle go back to their unshifted state.

I'll probably feel like an idiot when you explain to me what I have overlooked, but I'd just as soon learn. Is it possible that I have overlooked something as simple as pressing the shift button twice to toggle shifting on and off?

Thanks

Graham

Hello Graham,

That the buttons stay shifted is intended when you press Global shift.

Assume you have two settings:

Mode1 and Mode 2

Mode 1 means, that Button A toggles the gear.

Mode 2 means, that Button A togges the lights.

Button B is local shift

Button C is global shift

ok, so far? Then move on ^_^

Just press Button A:

Gear will be toggled

Now press Button A AND Button B (local shift):

lights are toggled

Release Button B (local shift) and press Button A:

gear again.

Then press and release Button C (global shift):

Press button A: lights are toggled (because Global shift is enabled)

Press Button C again to disable global shift

Now button A toggles the gear.

Hope that explains it ...???

local shift means shift is just temporarely enabled.

Global shift means, you toggle between two modes. You have to press global shift everytime you want to toglle between the modes.

In local shift, you have to press and hold a button. (Other sims call it a modificator)

Guenter Steiner

If that is really how it works Guenter (and I am not 100% certain myself as I don't use the feature) then the names for these shift modes are completely wrong in the English language. Your Global Shift should be called Shift Lock and local shift should be called Momentary Shift or just Shift, as that is how shift is known to work anyway i.e. press and hold shift while pressing the other button to get its secondary action.

Cheers, Andy.

Thanks for the reply Guenter and thank you Andy for chiming in. If I understand your reply correctly, Global Shift turns on the shift and Local Shift turns shift off. That is the way it works in my case. Please bear in mind that I have the shift buttons setup on my joystick and my functional buttons are on my throttle. So let me give you a scenario. The button numbers and throttle actions are unimortant:

Joystick button 1: On Press-Global Shift, On Repeat-Global Shift, On Release-Local Shift

Throttle button 1: Without shift-Gear Up, With shift-Gear Down

Press and hold joystick button 1 and press throttle button 1 - Gear go down (shifted)

Release joystick button 1 and press throttle button 1 - Gear go up (unshifted)

That is how it works on my system. If that is how it should work, perhaps you could change Global Shift to Shift On and Local Shift to Shift Off. That would be more intuitive to me.

Thanks for staying with this.

Graham

Global Shift turns on the shift and Local Shift turns shift off.

No! :P

Global shift enables the shift permanently.

Local shift enables it just as long as you press the assigned (shifted) button

Both "shifts" do the same: but while with global the shift stays enabled, also if you release the button, with local shift you have to hold the button as long as you'd like to use the shift.

And Andy is correct, the naming is a bit misleading.

I would have named it modificator, but it was Artem choice. I even don't know if he could or would like to change that now...

Guenter Steiner

Global shift or shift lock works exactly the same as your Caps Lock key on a keyboard then according to what Guenter just clarified above, the shift function works exactly the same as your shift key on your keyboard too.

Cheers, Andy.

Ah, I love Andy for his straight explanations.

This inspired me to the following picture:

7Bgtd5S.jpg

:P

Guenter Steiner

I'll certainly test this. I am tempted to leave it alone as it works as is. But I have added complexity by using both shifts to achieve 1 purpose. Thanks again to both of you.

I tested the local and global shifts. Here are the results:

-local shift when pressed on joystick does not shift the throttle buttons

-joystick local shift does shift the joystick buttons

-global shift when pressed on joystick shifts the throttle buttons and that's the way they stay. Pressing global shift a second time on joystick does not cancel the shift on throttle     buttons

-the only thing that works is global shift on press and/or repeat (to shift throttle buttons) and local shift on release (to cancel shift on throttle buttons)

Perhaps my system is weird, but that's the only thing that works.

This is probably a trivial issue for most users, but I don't have enough buttons to live without the shift. Thanks to both of you for taking the time to look into this.

Graham

hmmm, too bad, it's working here ...

Guenter Steiner