Sign in to follow this  
FINXPAS

Rex 4 texture Weather themes: P3D procedure

Not quite sure I've got the sequence right yet... I'm assuming p3d is using a weather engine...

The idea of using Rex 4 texture app as the launch pad for P3D is cool... Is this how its supposed to work ?

1. Enter the airport code to get weather conditions

2. Generate the texture theme based on weather conditions

3. Save the generated theme giving it a name; snowstorm in Montreal

4. Go to saved theme screen

5. Select your saved theme

6. Load it into P3D and choose to launch P3D

7. once in P3D... Change your location to CYUL

8. Change date and time to current ?

One can do so then you've the textures set to these conditions. Question: Do you assume that the weather comes from a weather engine like AS2012 or whatever?

You need not to launch P3D through REX4 after you've installed a theme. It will use the theme as long as you changes it. You can also change only parts of a theme like clouds or water etc.

Spirit

One can do so then you've the textures set to these conditions. Question: Do you assume that the weather comes from a weather engine like AS2012 or whatever?

You need not to launch P3D through REX4 after you've installed a theme. It will use the theme as long as you changes it. You can also change only parts of a theme like clouds or water etc.

Spirit

From what I gather, this Rex4 texture direct real time weather theme generation using the ICAO airport code would work with a weather engine that would set up the appropriate textures applied to  selected P3D weather types ?

Doesn't AS2012 have its own textures ? conflicting with Rex 4 ?

Without a weather engine I'd have to manually match current weather in CYUL with a P3D weather theme to get the appropriate textures ?

I hear REX4 is coming out with a new weather engine, this might would be a good match with Rex4 texture direct.

This hobby is getting expensive LOL.

Correct: without a weather engine you will simply be installing textures into P3D that have nothing to do with the weather you see in the sim. You either have to use an addon weather engine or set up the weather yourself (which is almost impossible to do right, I think). The upcoming REX 4 weather engine might indeed be a good if not the best match (because you can be sure the exact same METAR data will be used for both) but I have to say that I always wonder how good this option is and if REX doesn't simply load some random textures...

AS2012 has its own textures but as long as you don't install them they won't hurt the REX 4 textures. Or the other way around. The installed textures will stay installed and active until you install new ones: so you could let REX 4 come up with a random theme, install it and if you don't run REX 4 anymore after that, you will be using that same textures for years to come.

I personally would never use the REX 4 Fly now option because REX 4 would keep on running in the background for no good reason at all. I would quit REX 4 after installing the textures and start P3D manually. I myself usually run REX (still at 3 here) only once after installing the sim: I would install my favorite textures and then never run REX again until I want others.

I personally would never use the REX 4 Fly now option because REX 4 would keep on running in the background for no good reason at all. I would quit REX 4 after installing the textures and start P3D manually. I myself usually run REX (still at 3 here) only once after installing the sim: I would install my favorite textures and then never run REX again until I want others.

Fly now in REX4 indicates that REX will quit and P3D take over.

As a side note: I've set the recommended settings in P3D as per Rex (levers to extremes lol) and not getting any FPS impact running 3 monitors !! (FPS seems to be much more stable around 43 FPS). I'm not using the 32bit textures but the recommended ones which use a special compression algorythm... so the GPU is really kicking in it seems.

A word of advice: set the parameters in P3D then exit P3D and restart it. (ended up with a weird C++ crash). DO NOT TURN ON HDR LIGHTING in P3D and DO NOT PREPARE HDR TEXTURES IN REX 4 until P3D team fixes it.

I've got the ZOTAC 770gtx 2Gb which might help ;)    I'd love to see what a 780ti with 4Gb will do with this kit !

Nope, NOT true in REX4. It will start the sim of your choice, OR WEATHER ENGINE of choice, then QUIT.

A word of advice: set the parameters in P3D then exit P3D and restart it. (ended up with a weird C++ crash). DO NOT TURN ON HDR LIGHTING in P3D and DO NOT PREPARE HDR TEXTURES IN REX 4 until P3D team fixes it.

What are referring to precisely?

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

DO NOT TURN ON HDR LIGHTING in P3D and DO NOT PREPARE HDR TEXTURES IN REX 4 until P3D team fixes it.

What are referring to precisely?

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=3801

If you continue to see the issue above, please temporarily disable HDR Lighting in the Settings -> Lighting screen and you should not see it anymore. We have discovered an issue with certain video card/driver combinations with the new HDR lighting and are working to resolve it.

Comment applies to most video cards (NVIDIA cards and Radeon... )