Sign in to follow this  
simmerhead

A new one

I've been running a stable flight sim setup for months, but after installing P3Dv2 I'm back to the days of reinstalling and tweaking.

While my FSX and FS2004 have been running without a glitch, P3D 1.4 finally decided to act up on me. A dreaded kernelbase.dll error accured, and there was no way I could get rid of it. It happened when trying to save or load a flight. After an hour googling and working on fixes there was nothing more I could do than a reinstall.

Since I was in the mood, I took a reinstall of P3D v2 as well. I had polluted it with tons of addons just to see what worked. To my amazement P3D v2 was running fine as long as I avoided the known problem areas, and deactivated anti autogen popping.

Then, after a couple of hours reinstalling, it was time to do a test flight. All worked fine, but when I closed P3D v2 I got a ntdll.dll error. Sigh... I've now gotten every error I've ever experienced in FSX in P3Dv2, and a few new ones.

Let's face it, you can put lipstic on a pig, but it's still a pig. Of course, many errors are caused by myself while experimenting with addons and high settings. I'm not blaming anyone. It is the sum of all things. There's just countless things that can go wrong when you throw various addons and peripherals into the mix. The temptation to run a dense cloud cover in combination with dense autogen and AI is too hard to resist for me.

As frustrating as this hobby is at times, it is also incredibly rewarding. I mean, I wouldn't have known half of the computer stuff I know if it hadn't been for all the problems I've had trying to get my flight sims to run. Going through my Windows Event Viewer log it is funny that 100% of the fatal errors have happened to FSX, P3D and P3D v2. No other game or piece of software I own has ever had a fatal error, OOM or CTD. But I suck it up and hope that the LM team in time can get this beast tamed...

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I have crashes on exit all the time when i have my spad drivers active so i tend to blame them, some addons will cause crashes as well due to dll's not being 100% compatible. My flights so far have all be stable so no complaints really.

-Paul-

I have crashes on exit all the time when i have my spad drivers active so i tend to blame them, some addons will cause crashes as well due to dll's not being 100% compatible. My flights so far have all be stable so no complaints really.

Funny thing is, I didn't have exit crash before I reinstalled - not once. But it isn't consistent. Lastet a couple of times, now everything is fine.

How old is your hard drive? They can burp a bit and get a little bit of indigestion, then last for months before they decide to kick the bucket.

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

Three months old, Corsair and Intel top of the line SSD drives. I run chkdsk monthly, and whenever I have a problem to make sure it isn't a bad sector on the drive.

I'm not looking for solutions. Everything works, but every now and then there seems to be a glitch with FSX or P3D that I never experience with any other software I own. My point is that we're still not at the point where we have a dead stable flight simulator. Floating autogen and dll crashes will haunt us for a while longer.