Sign in to follow this  
Bill610051

Co-Pilot issue

Have been enjoying RC very much. The tutorials are helpful, too. I have noticed one problem, however. The manual says "Be aware, if the co-pilot has the aircraft and you have the radios, the co-pilot will not execute controller clearances until you acknowledge that clearance." I have followed the instructions carefully, but the co-pilot does not wait for my acknowledgement before inserting a new heading or altitude when requested by ATC. Thanks for the help.

Btw, I'm using Windows 7 64x and Prepar3d.

Maybe you also gave your comms to the FO?

No, I had comms, checked that several times. Also, the text on the RC screen (for ack and contact) would always stay visible until I keyed "1" on the keyboard. If FO had comms, that would disappear quickly on it's own after the FO ack and contact.

Is this a standard FS autopilot as on a default aircraft? Some APs allow you to enter the new altitude or heading but do nothing until you activate the change (on the AP control). In other words, does the aircraft start climbing when the new altitude numbers appear? In other words are the numbers entered just a preset for the activation in the AP?

One thing to consider:

RC controllers are somewhat impatient. They expect to see a change in aircraft performance state or status soon after an ack is given. I recommend when the user controls the aircraft to initiate the change before acking ATC's command unless very close to a waypoint (to avoid RC not seeing the aircraft cross the waypoint).Some aircraft even in the case of altitude lose a bit just before climbing. The acknowledgment in RCs case means the command has started to be carried out.

What you describe is the copilot initiating the change before acknowledgment is given so it is recognized by ATC.

What you describe is the copilot initiating the change before acknowledgment is given so it is recognized by ATC.

Yes, that is exactly what I noticed and your explanation has been very helpful. Thanks Ronzie, and appreciate the replies and great customer service.

It is a standard AP on the Boeing 737-800, and the aircraft does perform the climb and\or heading change after the setting changes  in AP, but before the pilot (me) completes the ack.

I'll rerun this scenario some more and see if I've made some silly error.

You should only have ack and contact if you are being transferred to another controller, otherwise just ack.

Have you fallen behind in any of your acks? they might stack up.

You are running RC4v3 build 3845, correct?

You should only have ack and contact if you are being transferred to another controller, otherwise just ack.

Have you fallen behind in any of your acks? they might stack up.

You are running RC4v3 build 3845, correct?

Checked and checked again, everything as required.

One question... will Otto, when PIC, always change altitude in the AP shortly after receiving a request from ATC to climb to FLxxx, before receiving my ack, even though I have comms? Say, for instance, that aircraft is at FL150 and climbing to FL170. ATC requests climb to FL210. Otto immediately inputs FL210 into AP and RC is displaying (7) ack, which I have yet to complete, aircraft continues to climb according to AP. I then have a choice to either ignor ack and let it stack up or complete ack and let Otto have his way. This is what I'm experiencing. Actually, it's not a big deal for me when flying the sim, it's just contrary to the manual.

Thanks again!

Otto is acting correctly by RC standards. As soon as you ack receiving the command within a very short time RC will look for your rate of change. It is correct to ack after the aircraft has started climbing, descending, changing heading, or speed. This often takes a few seconds for the pilot flying/aircraft to comply so it is best to wait a very short time to ack.

You are acking that you have initiated the change, not that you have completed the goal of the command.

The latest manual published is here:

http://www.jdtllc.com/documentation.htm

but there are a few changes in build 3845.