Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

P3DV2 - i5 or i7

Hi all

My 3 year old water cooled PC has started to leak at the radiator and I am considering an entirely new Hazwell processor PC.  Given that the CPU is no longer the be-all-end-all component for P3Dv2, I am also considering the i5 overclocked processor @ 4.1Ghz.    Any thoughts?

One of the stated goals from LM is optimizing the platform for hyper-threading so I would go with an I7. Just my humble opinion!

Lyn

If finances are an issue go with the i5, P3Dv2 like it's predecessor is a very demanding program.  

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

One of the stated goals from LM is optimizing the platform for hyper-threading so I would go with an I7. Just my humble opinion!

Lyn

I know3 P23DV2 utilizes  multi-core processors much more efficiently than FSX but is hyper-threading enabled?

From LM:

Multi-Threading Support

Multi-threading essentially allows more work to be done on background threads as opposed to the main processing thread.  In Prepar3D v2.0 we are now able to do optimization in parallel on background threads, as well as perform shader compilation on background threads which in addition to the tessellated terrain helps to greatly reduce those stutters so many people were seeing in the legacy engine as the CPU tried to page in all that terrain and all those textures.

http://www.prepar3d.com/news/2013/10/4507/

Unless I am mistaken in my understanding, this sounds like hyper-threading.

Lyn

Committed to a Hazwell i7 4770 @ 4.1ghz, air cooled machine.

By the time it arrives, hopefully P3Dv2.05 will be out. I've decided to continue using FSX for another six months alongside P3D, until more products are configured for p3D integration

Thanks guys