Sign in to follow this  
motoadve

Weather settings to practice IFR

What settings are the best to simulate this?

What I want is to be in the clouds and also have low visibility at my destination airport

You can use an add-on weather engine like Opus. It allow you to capture and save real word situation for an airport and use it later as an IFR condition. I have saved different scenario that allow me to go to minimum for ILS, VOR and NDB approach at my local airport with different ceiling and visibility.

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

Or just fly current weather but at night

No need for IFR conditions to "practice" IFR, but you can simulate under the hood by adjusting your VC to cover your whole screen

allen

Couldnt you just use a default weather theme?

Typically, for a Cat I ILS, minimums are 1/2 mile visibility and 200 feet ceiling.  This equates roughly to where the Middle Marker is located, which is why when I was training for my IR, it was a view-limiting device until the MM.  Someone above mentioned OPUS- with this and most other good weather generators, you can create your own global metar.

Bruce.

Drape a shirt over your monitor? :lol:  

Sent from my Nexus 10

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

It's a legit question for those of us trying to accurately simulate breaking-out at minimums and the accompanying low visibility.

I don't have P3Dv2 fully set up yet, but in FSX, I was usually able to see through the low clouds to the ground.  This broke the realism of what I was trying to accomplish.

The brute force method I ended up using was to not worry about setting up the clouds, and manually setting low visibility.  Then I pause my TrackIR while focused only on the panel.  When I get to minimums, I hit F9 to un-pause the TrackIR and "break-out".

Unfortunately, this method doesn't allow for the surprise of when that will happen (as in real life).  

The ideal situation though is for the cloud deck and visibility to be unpredictably somewhere near minimums.

I know we can set or play back recorded weather with Opus.  But then we still know when breaking out is going to happen.

It's a legit question for those of us trying to accurately simulate breaking-out at minimums and the accompanying low visibility.

I don't have P3Dv2 fully set up yet, but in FSX, I was usually able to see through the low clouds to the ground.  This broke the realism of what I was trying to accomplish.

The brute force method I ended up using was to not worry about setting up the clouds, and manually setting low visibility.  Then I pause my TrackIR while focused only on the panel.  When I get to minimums, I hit F9 to un-pause the TrackIR and "break-out".

Unfortunately, this method doesn't allow for the surprise of when that will happen (as in real life).  

The ideal situation though is for the cloud deck and visibility to be unpredictably somewhere near minimums.

I know we can set or play back recorded weather with Opus.  But then we still know when breaking out is going to happen.

Some good comments..... to some extent we get forewarned by ATIS/ASOS in RL too, so the "surprise" is minimized- funny how we all prefer a surprise in a sim, but we want predictability in the real thing...

The Elite sim has a feature where you can get clouds at minimums, but with randomized variations in ceiling, so one never knows whether you are able to proceed past the MAP until you get there, which is typical in RL if the celling is at minimums as reported.

Also, it's very usual to be able to look down and see the terrain directly below you, but you are unable to see the "runway environment". Many a pilot has come to grief by '"ducking and diving" because they had seen the terrain below them and decided to proceed past the MAP, below the glide path and/or minimums....

Bruce.

What settings are the best to simulate this?

What I want is to be in the clouds and also have low visibility at my destination airport

So are you using analog instruments or GPS?  Coupled or not?  Flying solo or with co-pilot?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Trying ILSs analog, solo and yes triying to simulate flying in the clouds and breaking out at minmums or near minimums.

I have tried to set it up manually and doesnt seem to work too well.

Another problem very annoying is I can see the tower beacon 10 miles away or more thru the coulds.

Another problem very annoying is I can see the tower beacon 10 miles away or more thru the coulds.

Ouch.. That certainly isn't helping..

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors