Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

BEX/StackHash NTDLL.dll Fix

Jim, [sorry for delayed answer]

I was having 3 consecutive ntdll.dll CTDs under exactly the same conditions [LevelD 767 at Latin VFR SVMI clicking on 2D overhead to call for external power disconnect] . I started running my FSX as Admin (though my local account is already one) and seems to solve the problem.

Also, I took [my local account] ownership of the folders on all the folders where I have FSX related utils.

Regards

Sam. 

Waiting for the 64-bit PSION Flightsim for ZX-Spectrum ////

Thanks for posting your solution.  I suspect you had FSX installed in the Program Files (x86) folder or did you install it in a folder like C:\FSX?  C:\FSX is supposedly recommended so you can avoid ownership problems that are associated with the (x86) folder.  I have mine in the (x86) folder but took ownership of the FSX files and folders.  Just remember ntdll.dll is associated with memory issues.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Just a clarification about NTDLL.dll and StackHash CTD's in case someone searches and sees this thread in the future.  The above information is correct and you should definitely make sure you are sharing your folders.  Even though I ensured sharing was accomplished by taking ownership, I still received a periodic StackHash/ntdll.dll CTD.  This time I have traced it to bad memory settings in the BIOS or a wrong voltage setting in the BIOS.  This is easy to do when you try to overclock.  I brought my BIOS settings back to the Optimized Defaults for my Motherboard (ASUS Z87 Deluxe).  That caused an ntdll.dll crash and I saw that ASUS had overclocked some of the cores but not all.  I reset the BIOS to the normal default.  Still got crashes and saw that the change from Optimized Defaults to Normal Defaults do not completely change as some of my settings were still overclocked.  I then reset the overclock to the settings as suggested by ASUS experts and that fixed my crashes (knocking on wood).  Bottom line:  if you get a StackHash or ntdll.dll CTD, check and double-check your BIOS settings if you are overclocked.  This also fixed my issues with ASN software.  It was bad settings in the BIOS and not the software.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

You don't have to do this and can keep FSX/P3D in the default Program Files (x86) folder.  You can fix these types of crashes by downloading and installing a simple program called Take Ownership - http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/ (for Vista/Windows 7 users) and here's a tutorial for Windows 8, 8.1 users - http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2814-take-ownership-add-context-menu-windows-8-a.html.  Once installed, you simply go to the main FSX folder, right click it and select Take Ownership in the context Menu. 

Jim, I have had occasional CTD's with Stackhash error and decided to see what the "Take Ownership" would do for me. I did and it seemed to work GREAT. Now maybe this is my imagination but it also seemed to get rid of some small stutters AND I seem to be holding very close to my fixed 30 fps more. Now would you do me the favor and using your EXPERTISE tell me if I am just imagining these other benefits or could it me. THANKS MUCH!!!

Bob "roadwarrior" Werab

Config: ASUS Prime Motherboard, RYZEN 5, 32 GB Ram, Radeon RX5700 XT, 2 TB SSD

I've not seen the particular error, but taking over ownership of folders is not such a good idea for security reasons. Usually it is only necessary to give adequate permissions to a folder such as P3D/FSX program files. After installing P3D to the default location, and before adding any other software, the P3D/FSX program files folder permissions should be properly set since addons make directories there and expect to be able to write to files in them. All that need be done is the Users group should be added Write and Modify permissions. However i'm not so sure if simple permissions would work once this error has been introduced, after all it could to be related to incorrect security settings.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Now would you do me the favor and using your EXPERTISE tell me if I am just imagining these other benefits or could it me.

Paul J (of DX10 fame) was the member who suggested this to me a while back so I cannot take full credit for it but I'm glad the suggestion is working for you.  My thinking is that taking complete ownership (or making sure you have complete ownership of files) makes it easier for fsx to fetch and render the textures and other files faster. Microsoft has thrown in so many security rules in Windows to try to protect us from evil people it sometimes affects the efficient operation of a simple program like FSX.  But I don't think it is a solution for stuttering.  High settings still cause this issue.  The less stress you can put on FSX to render a graphic, the better.  Thanks for your kind comments.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM