Sign in to follow this  

FSUIPC autosave in P3D 2.0 'gapless'...? Or other autosaver?

Since it seems I can't finish a longer flight without an OOM I am thinking about getting an addon that can autosave my flight every two minutes or so, so I can at least proceed the flight from where the OOM happened. Now I only know about FSUIPC's autosave function. My questions are:

1. does the autosave function work well with P3D 2.0?

2. does it work 'gapless' (can't think of another word) or do you clearly notice it when the game is being saved?

3. does FSUIPC have a (negative) impact on performance?

4. are there any other autosave options available? Buying FSUIPC only for this is a bit costly (and can't think of anything else I may use it for)

I cannot possibly recommend FSUIPC "registered" highly enough. It has so many fixes and features that I can't even remember 'em all at the moment.

As to your question, yes the periodic "autosaves" work well, and are totally without any impact on performance that I've ever noticed.

One feature that I truly like is that I can open the event logger and have it display in a separate window on one of my side monitors. This allows me to monitor what the aircraft and panel/gauge system is doing in real time, and has allowed me to spot "rogue events" being triggered by misbehaving gauges and/or .dll modules. Such "rogue events" have a severe negative impact on performance, and sometimes will totally block any "Select Events" from being received by the sim, such as an engine select command Shift-E, 2 for example.

Pete also has an option that may be turned on in FSUIPC that "fixes" such "rogue events" by delaying a repeated event long enough for the sim to receive the secondary command (2 in the above example)...

In short, registered FSUIPC is a veritable "Swiss Army Knife" utility program!

EDIT: I forgot one of the most useful features of FSUIPC. Ever had your battery die while setting up for a flight? FSUIPC has a feature that will allow you to either have an "everlasting battery" or to simply "extend battery life" for an adjustable period... :He He:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

and has allowed me to spot "rogue events" being triggered by misbehaving gauges and/or .dll modules.

Ah, yes, well, that's something I'll probably use everyday... :huh: :P Just kidding. I know 'everyone' thinks this is the a Swiss Army Knife for FSX and now also P3D but I can't think of any reasons what I might use it for (I only have very basic and simple controllers). Maybe I should download the manual (if that's possible) to see if it has some more options that are of use to me. I did however read a few times already that people had problems with pauses and the advice was to turn off the autosave function of FSUIPC... That doesn't sound too good... But well, if you say it has no impact, I suppose that's so. ^_^

It was anti virus software causing the pauses when FSUIPC auto saved, not FSUIPC itself. If you have a heavily fragmented FS HDD and are using autosaves every 15 seconds in something like the NGX or 777 you may see a slight stutter, but that's about it. Actual freezes were the result of AV software interfering with the save process being made in the advanced aircraft.

People need to get over this idea that FSUIPC is all about helping you setup joystick devices, its not, that is just one small part of what FSUIPC does.

If you installed the unregistered version of FSUIPC any time in the last 4 years you will certainly already have a set of documents in the FSX/modules folder, they are in a sub folder called FSUIPC Documents. Reading those will give you an idea of what FSUIPC can do for you.

There is a sub feature of FSUIPC auto save that I use all the time and it allows me to also save single individual flights for each of the different aircraft I fly, as well as per session autosaves which are overwritten in cycles as time goes by. These aircraft specific flights allow me to have my fleet spread out at various locations around the globe without me needing to remember where they all are. I just load the save named after the aircraft I want to fly and voila I'm back where I left that aircraft the last time I exited FS, or even where it saved before the last crash if you are unfortunate to be afflicted by an unstable sim.

Cheers, Andy.

Uninstall FTX Global... And try again.. No idea why people insist on installing it still.. It's nothing but problems and they are so vague over there with support.. The problems it causes are documented everywhere.. OOM + FTX Global goes hand in hand. Not trying to turn this into a bash Orbx thread but it is plain as day FTX Global isn't living up to what's printed on the label in v2...

Didn't you uninstall it before because it caused OOM? Why did you reinstall it?

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

People need to get over this idea that FSUIPC is all about helping you setup joystick devices, its not, that is just one small part of what FSUIPC does.

Thanks for your post: what you said certainly sounds very interesting! You always indeed hear people say FSUIPC is about controls plus some extra's: good to hear it's almost the other way around. I don't have FSUIPC (free version) installed right now but I think I will do so, read the docs, and then decide if I'll buy it.

Didn't you uninstall it before because it caused OOM? Why did you reinstall it?

Because I am an &@($*? ^_^ But mainly because a lot of others use it without problems. And so did I for a few days until I added more addons and did a longer flight. Don't really know what caused the OOM (the other addons, the longer flight, FTXG or everything together) but well... the world simply looks bad without FTXG... I will reconsider if I will reinstall it (I just reinstalled my PC because of a virus) and then stick with default planes andno freeware scenery... Or I will wait until the first patches. But I've said that before... :rolleyes: ^_^

The secret to default scenery is getting actual altitude.. Anywhere, 5-6k from the ground and it start shaping up to look great (imo).. You do, yes have to lower your expectations if you're doing low and slow..  

But, I can't say this looks bad... Just get to a real cruise altitude and enjoy the scenery.

FzUcWJN.jpg

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Since it seems I can't finish a longer flight without an OOM I am thinking about getting an addon that can autosave my flight every two minutes or so, so I can at least proceed the flight from where the OOM happened. Now I only know about FSUIPC's autosave function. My questions are:

1. does the autosave function work well with P3D 2.0? Yes

2. does it work 'gapless' (can't think of another word) or do you clearly notice it when the game is being saved? I'd say no. I have it set for a much longer save interval than the default, but yes, sometimes P3d2 pauses for a split second to do the autosave. Figure out what the typical time to an OOM is and then change the autosave interval to something just short of that.

3. does FSUIPC have a (negative) impact on performance? Not that I can tell, but since I run Windows 8.1, it's been a long time since I ran any ESP sims without FSUIPC.

4. are there any other autosave options available? Buying FSUIPC only for this is a bit costly (and can't think of anything else I may use it for) ??

I'd say no. I have it set for a much longer save interval than the default, but yes, sometimes P3d2 pauses for a split second to do the autosave. Figure out what the typical time to an OOM is and then change the autosave interval to something just short of that.

Hmmmm… The problem is that if I set it to 20 minutes and I get an OOM after 38, that autosave won't be of much use. It's only of use to me if I can let it save every 2 or 3 minutes, really. But of course I don't want a split second pause every 2 or 3 minutes. And since I would buy it mainly for this and since they don't give refunds I will have to think about it some more.

Is there a list somewhere online which tells me what FSUIPC does besides controls? Or the actual manual? I don't feel like installing FSUIPC on my brand new installed OS just to read the docs. As Andydigital said it's not only about controls but it's not strange that people think that because the official site mainly talks about controls!

Is there a list somewhere online which tells me what FSUIPC does besides controls? Or the actual manual? I don't feel like installing FSUIPC on my brand new installed OS just to read the docs. As Andydigital said it's not only about controls but it's not strange that people think that because the official site mainly talks about controls!

I suggest you download it here, install it and look at the manuals:

http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

It is a great little program and the feature list would be very long!

Even if the list would be long, I find it odd that there hardly is any information about FSUIPC to be found online. And as I said, I don't feel like installing it if I don't need/want it...

Even if the list would be long, I find it odd that there hardly is any information about FSUIPC to be found online. And as I said, I don't feel like installing it if I don't need/want it...

You owe me one.  :P

Click each thumbnail to see each tab of FSUIPC

Untitled_1_0000_Layer_11.jpg

Untitled_1_0001_Layer_10.jpg

Untitled_1_0002_Layer_9.jpg

Untitled_1_0003_Layer_8.jpg

Untitled_1_0004_Layer_7.jpg

Untitled_1_0005_Layer_6.jpg

Untitled_1_0006_Layer_5.jpg

Untitled_1_0007_Layer_4.jpg

Untitled_1_0008_Layer_3.jpg

Untitled_1_0009_Layer_2.jpg

Untitled_1_0010_Layer_1.jpg

You owe me one. :P

Click each thumbnail to see each tab of FSUIPC

Wow! LOL! Thanks! Much appreciated! :smile:

Documentation (not up to date, mind)  is available separately on the Support Forum, in the Download Links subforum.

But even if you installed it, it is only a DLL and an entry in the DLL.XML file. It doesn't touch anything else, no registry changes, nothing else at all but a few files in the Modules folder. What on Earth are you frightened of? :-(

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

But even if you installed it, it is only a DLL and an entry in the DLL.XML file. It doesn't touch anything else, no registry changes, nothing else at all but a few files in the Modules folder. What on Earth are you frightened of? :-(

Well, actually I was afraid it would be (a lot) more! ^_^ Like indeed registry changes and hidden files or whatever. So thanks for taking away that concern! ^_^ Now I know it's only this, I'll have another look at it.