Sign in to follow this  
MeneMene

Ifly vs PMDG 737NG

I can get the ifly 737 upgrade to FSX for 15$, or buy the NGX completely new. I'm inclined to think that there wouldn't be enough of a difference to justify the extra money. Is this a safe assumption? Can someone who owns both outline the merits/disadvantages of each with respect to each other?

thanks

Hiya, well, as someone who owns both, I no longer have the Ifly on my drive! IMO the NGX is streets ahead. The main reasons for me was the far superior rendering of the aircraft, both externally and in the VC. The NGX is in a different league. Then there's the 2d windows on the fuselage of the Ifly and the 3d windows on the PMDG, not a deal breaker, but another one of those small irritations. As for the flight dynamics, it's hard to compare having not flown a real 737, but for me, the PMDG certainly seemed to 'feel' more realistic and adheres to the 'slippery' characteristics on descent which I have heard from RW 737 pilots as being a trait of the aircraft. I have to admit that I only downloaded the initial release along with the following SP, so I don't know if things have been changed in any way since it's early updates. As for disadvantages of the PMDG, well, in my experience it is quite a lot heavier than the Ifly. In the Ifly I would get about 30 frames around an airport, when I got the NGX the same scenario would return frames of about 25, so quite a big difference. Also, as I understand things, the Ifly is the 737 of choice for cockpit builders. I think this has something to do with 2d panels, the SDK or something, I'm sure someone can expand on this. Anyway, the PMDG NGX is the girl for me :wink:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

We know which direction this thread is going to go.

Ha, well yes, I was hoping to avoid that. But what else am I supposed to do? Back in FS9 the ifly bird was pretty fantastic, I just want to know what more the PMDG version offers. Hopefully people will be mature enough to stick to that.

In my opinion, the PMDG bird is way ahead of the iFly but if you can get the iFly for $15 then that's a killer deal that shouldn't be passed up. It all depends on what it's worth to you.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

I chose the iFly over the PMDG and am quite happy with my choice. For $15 go for it and use the balance to get something else, scenery or the like.

Scott
Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I can get the ifly 737 upgrade to FSX for 15$, or buy the NGX completely new. I'm inclined to think that there wouldn't be enough of a difference to justify the extra money. (...)

Exactly my opinion (and no more than that  :P).

The iFly also seems to be the first complex plane in FSX to receive an ASN-standard ND-integrated wx radar.

I agree with Rockliffe that some of the modeling is not quite as detailed in the iFly as it is in the NXG. You do pay for that in frames. As for the way the iFly performs, SP3.2 is miles ahead of the first release. In my opinion it is just as good as the NGX, almost, look the difference between the two is so small now that if you can live with the slightly less done graphics, it would be hard to account for the extra cost, to me.

James McLees

Ok it seems I've decided to go with the Ifly version. I've never been disappointed with any PMDG product I've bought, but it's simply not worth the extra $55. Thanks to everyone for keeping it civil.

PMDG isn't 'streets ahead'. Pmdg fans gotta stop reading what it says on the side of the box.

Hi Jon, while your opinion is that the PMDG isn't streets ahead, my opinion, which I presume was relevent to the OP, is that the PMDG, is streets ahead. My opinion is based on owning both aircraft and not reading what it says on the box :wink: But I did admit not knowing whether the Ifly has indeed been reworked and by what Jimmy said, it has, and that I'm pleased about. BTW, I won't post any more comments here, as I don't wish this thread to go south... :smile:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Hi Jon, while your opinion is that the PMDG isn't streets ahead, my opinion, which I presume was relevent to the OP, is that the PMDG, is streets ahead. My opinion is based on owning both aircraft and not reading what it says on the box :wink: But I did admit not knowing whether the Ifly has indeed been reworked and by what Jimmy said, it has, and that I'm pleased about. BTW, I won't post any more comments here, as I don't wish this thread to go south... :smile:

Could you be more specific about what makes it better? From what I've gathered, it has more 3d detail (not as important) and some differences in flight dynamics. I thought the ifly's flight dynamics in FS9 were right in the money, but of course FSX is different. Anything else?

I disagree with Rockcliffe.  I have both aircraft and spend more time in the iFly than in the PMDG aircraft.  Unless you are deeply in to service based failures (PMDG) there is no real difference except:  you get the 600, 700, 700ER, 800, 900, 900ER, BBJ, BBJ2, and BBJ3 for the single price of the iFly.  You will soon have ASN based weather radar in the iFly - if ASN can generate it, the iFly will display it.  You get full RNP capability as well as RF leg capability in the iFly.  You get the ability to use multiple ILS frequencies for the same runway (EDDF, etc...).  You have probabilistic failures if you care about failures.  The flight models are excellent for both FS9 and for FSX.

DJ

Funny thing is, Rockliffe is right, based on what he said, and Ubersu is also correct. $15, it's a no brainer.

With the radar integration, I will probably go back to flying the iFly more often. Of course I'll still load up the NGX because, she sure is purty! :lol:

James McLees

I know any weather radar program installed in the panel of any aircraft will eat up FPS.  Captain Sim tried a weather radar program and turning it on really affected frames.  I prefer PMDG over iFly's version ONLY because I do not like the way they set up the click spots on their panels.  PMDG's is so much more intuitive.  It's a shame as they have nice models otherwise.  I do not think PMDG has a copyright on click spots.  Like Howard I own them both but have removed the iFly version. I definitely won't reinstall it just because of a weather radar.   

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10