Sign in to follow this  
MeneMene

Ifly vs PMDG 737NG

Why nobody discusses what Ifly will do next?I mean maybe a 737 classic why not? We allways talk about what PMDG will do next

Why nobody discusses what Ifly will do next?I mean maybe a 737 classic why not? We allways talk about what PMDG will do next

They never talk about anything next, they keep pushing out new updates and innovations for their fleet of 737 packages, FS9, FSX, P3D1.4, P3D2.0 and their cockpit builder suite. I give them credit they are continually improving and improvising with other 3PDs.

Hi Everyone,

I don't normally post to these topics, but on this occasion I think it is appropriate that I do. Threads that compare one products against another usually don't go well and when one of the product I am involved with is mentioned all I ask is for things to be fair.

I was disappointed that someone I have huge respect for decided to comment on an older version and not our current offering. Having myself posted in the past without thinking things through I hope s this was one of those.

The staff here at AVSIM and other enthusiasts sites do an amazing job and one that is often taken for granted. I remember when I got my first modem and my simulation world came alive due to the great community here and available on the other great sites, getting up in the morning to see the files that had been downloading overnight. Many younger members won't have experienced that joy. When serious injury ended my career and real world flying, it was these communities that kept me sane.

It is really important that the people behind the products are simmers and behind the scenes we all get on. My close friends know I am a PMDG fan and have been since their first aircraft. I own a boxed version of the PMDG NGX and Ryan at PMDG owns a copy of the iFly. It is the competition that is making sure simmers are getting the best possible products. We are seeing some amazing products at the moment, scenery, aircraft, GA, Airliners, Military, and helicopters. We all look at what is new and how other developers have raised that bar and then set about looking to see what we can do. It is great to be a fan of your favourite developer, but also you need to open your eyes to what is happening and how as a simmer things could not be better. As has been mentioned we are incorporating ASN weather radar and have launched an open beta for our owners who make a donation to ORBIS and help save the sight of a chid. How does this help you if your a PMDG fan?  Well I am sure the team at PMDG will follow on and add support for the great work Damien and Kostas and the team at ASN have done. We, like PMDG always said no weather radar because it was not realistic, now it is and as I said earlier it is a great time for simmers. Innovation is improving our hobby. For those fearing the worst about FPS, no panel is added to the aircraft it just reads the data from ASN.

Back to the crux of the topic and I am the first to say that if your a 3D cockpit fan the PMDG NGX is really nice and yes the way they modelled their failures is impressive. When the iFly was first released over 3 years ago it was never intended to compete with PMDG, the product now has little resemblance to that first released and our current version is also a lot different from the SP that was mentioned. So please if you want to compare please compare the current offering and not what has now passed it's sell by date.

Our great hobby is in a good place despite what some people will say. You are seeing amazing quality products at the moment from the Dash 8 and PMDG 777 and when the bar is raised it is a challenge for others to do likewise. There maybe less new products, but in my view quality over quantity any day of the week. When you post comparing one against the other it's nice to be nice, as we are all trying to make sure when you choose to going flying in your precious free time it is an enjoyable and rewarding experience.

Happy holidays.

Good post Steve

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

My 2 cents is that I am getting better fps with pmdg compared with ifly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Likewise, I get double fps with the NGX than the Ifly.  The IFLY was great in FS9 but not optimised properly for FSX.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Very good post steve

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

The PMDG is miles ahead of the ifly in terms of graphics and its biggest feature: the hud which has been faithfully recreated vs being an ordinary gauge on the windshield. 

And the HUD works just fine and looks good when you swing it down in place. But like a lot of pilots, I choose not to use it. Means nothing for me anyway.

The HUD is a big seller and the biggest empty spot for me on the 777 is the lack of one (one 737 pilots says that its the HUD that makes the 737 top dog over the 777 for him). Its nice when you can hand fly in CATIII conditions.

I don't fly tubes much anymore but I think the IFLY has come a long way since it was first released,  systems are great and if you happen to own ASN.....    I still prefer the VC graphics, clickspots and panel night nighting in the NGX .  Speaking of the panel lighting.  The IFLY panel lighting is greatly improved from the release version I flew years ago... I just wish they would get the AFDS flood, background and pedestal  floods working. 

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

One thing I like about the PMDG version is how you can configure the a/c via the FMC in real time without having to use an external config menu outside the sim. You can change fuel, pax, equipment options, perform maintenance, all live in the sim. Not sure the iFly does that but its a neat feature. I used to hate the old school methods where you had to do all that externally using a config manager.

Not sure if the iFly has this or not, but I like the way the NGX exterior lights like the strobe and nav lights reflect off the ground and the landing and taxiway lights actually illuminate objects they shine on besides just the ground.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

OP, as you can see, this thread has morphed from answering your question to defending each other opinions.  To answer your question, spend the money on the iFly upgrade.  Learn how to fly it to the best of your abilities.  Enjoy it.  If you're still curious about the PMDG NGX after that, buy it then.  

Clearly some like one over the other, but this isn't about convincing each other to like what each likes.  Each product has produced patches after its release.  Each product has its merits and limitations.  I'm grateful we have two very good options with enough differences in each that having both offers a nice variety from each other.  I'm grateful that we have developers (plural) producing for FSX.  

Wish Avsim would limit these jihad postings to a separate forum.  

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

One thing I like about the PMDG version is how you can configure the a/c via the FMC in real time without having to use an external config menu outside the sim. You can change fuel, pax, equipment options, perform maintenance, all live in the sim. Not sure the iFly does that but its a neat feature. I used to hate the old school methods where you had to do all that externally using a config manager.

Not sure if the iFly has this or not, but I like the way the NGX exterior lights like the strobe and nav lights reflect off the ground and the landing and taxiway lights actually illuminate objects they shine on besides just the ground.

The Ifly has the options in the FMC as well, but it does not have the lights the NGX has..  I have both the Ifly and NGX and both are excellent, both have their strong points ( NGX HUD is in a class of it's own) and weak points, wish I could make one super add-on out of both of them...  I will be as honest as I can about this without breaking any rules.   Before the weather radar beta most of my tube time was in the NGX, I can't comment on the WR but I will say that it was enough to change what add-on I pick when I want to fly a tubeliner and I have other planes that supposedly have a WR..

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB