Sign in to follow this  
Capt Speirs

FSX rain looks like REMOVED...

I know this has been brought up many times before, however I am so disgusted with it right now I actually shut down FSX just couldn't take it. I took off out of TNCM and there is a storm there now which totally ruined the flight experience for me. I am very close to switching to DX10 but I just can't give up certain airports. Someday there will be a flightsim worth it, right now it's close but not good enough. Comparing to other types of sims, the FSX world is showing its age. Thanks for letting me rant. Wish there was a way to get rid of the rain textures all together.

Mmmm, well, everyone to their own I guess. But while I agree that FSX rain is not very realistic, I have never deemed it to be so bad that it has ruined a flight.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

... Wish there was a way to get rid of the rain textures all together.

Now, now. There's no reason to get all upset. See attached for when you start FSX. Bingo, bango, Bob's your uncle! Clear skies to fly around in. Life's good, once again in the OC!!! :P

post-123415-0-30251000-1387834881.jpg

+1   B)

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Try X plane 10! The planes that do have rain effects modelled are great.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

One of the reasons I went back to FS9, also the snow looks way better.

Crap.. FSX could be so much better, and RUN better.

I Agree. Rain is almost offending given the particle effects we get nowadays. We could accept it in old FSX, NOT in new Prepare3Dv2

X-Plane is quite better.

As said in the prepar3D v2 forums... they could imitate the way train simulator makes the rain nowadays. P3D v2 is Dx11.. I don't find any good reason why they don't implement these fx in P3D. See a video:

That rain can be cleaned with wippers and of course produce blur to vision. Something really important in simulation. We are not talking about a nice looking feature.

But because someone talked about Xplane... here is an example of what I did with my plane the CRJ200 in the xplane9 version:

Javier Rollon. Owner of JRollon Planes for Xplane

Guess I've been spoiled using add-on textures for so long I forgot about the ugly default rain and snow.

Well, it's not only the plane effect what is disturbing is the rain cone ugly rendition both in Fsx and Prepare3D v2. It really spoils the immersion, at least for me. You buy this wonderful Budapest, an amazing aircraft, Orbx texture, TrackIR, Opus weather and cameras and ...bang...rain brings you back to the feeling you're in your living room and not flying a plane  B)   :mad:

and the not fixing in P3D v2 of the rain-snow cone cut-end seen when you put 3 screens. How many years did they have to fix it?

Javier Rollon. Owner of JRollon Planes for Xplane

As said in the prepar3D v2 forums... they could imitate the way train simulator makes the rain nowadays. P3D v2 is Dx11.. I don't find any good reason why they don't implement these fx in P3D. See a video:

That rain can be cleaned with wippers and of course produce blur to vision. Something really important in simulation. We are not talking about a nice looking feature.

But because someone talked about Xplane... here is an example of what I did with my plane the CRJ200 in the xplane9 version:

Developers for that train simulator are now applying that same method of providing rain in the VC (cab) to apply rain to the exterior views as well.

http://i.imgur.com/iWf8SsN.jpg

Windows, and light covers... Just too bad the "simulator" is more of a train driving game.. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

The rain in FSX looks fine to me, its the snow that I hate the look of.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Now, now. There's no reason to get all upset. See attached for when you start FSX. Bingo, bango, Bob's your uncle! Clear skies to fly around in. Life's good, once again in the OC!!! :P

Works for those who are not looking for real time weather. I am running Opus. Thanks anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

There's a fix called Rain40 if my memory serves which IMO was a big improvement over the default rain effect in FSX.

I believe it's available in AVSIM's file library.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Richard Åsberg