Sign in to follow this  
Capt Speirs

FSX rain looks like REMOVED...

FSX rain drops on FSX cockpit windows look realistic as seen on this example that you can watch and marvel at raindrops hitting the window:

ir8.jpg

Aharon

signCopy.jpg

There's a fix called Rain40 if my memory serves which IMO was a big improvement over the default rain effect in FSX.

Rain40 is part of the DX10 shader system, Max, and won't change anything in DX9...

I don't think there's an answer at this moment, but I don't see why rain on the cockpit glass - hitting, splashing, distorting vision, streaming and running off to the sides, etc., couldn't be modeled as an add-on though...

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I've been using the Rain40 fix in DX9 for quite some time with great results where you don't get the "tunnel" effect and also the rain drops look much better but maybe I'm using an older version of the fix then since you say the fix is for DX10.

Richard Åsberg

Guess I've been spoiled using add-on textures for so long I forgot about the ugly default rain and snow.

What do you use instead of default?

Rain40 is part of the DX10 shader system, Max, and won't change anything in DX9...

I don't think there's an answer at this moment, but I don't see why rain on the cockpit glass - hitting, splashing, distorting vision, streaming and running off to the sides, etc., couldn't be modeled as an add-on though...

I believe that can be modeled. Actually it can but I believe performance is the issue.... surprise surprise

I think I remember it also has to do with the fact that you can only have a certain amount of animations in any given aircraft.

Richard Åsberg

What do you use instead of default?

I've used X Graphics.

And then I've used. AS 2012.

I've used X Graphics.

+1 !  One of the best kept secrets in FSX  :-)

Jay

FSX rain drops on FSX cockpit windows look realistic as seen on this example that you can watch and marvel at raindrops hitting the window:

ir8.jpg

Aharon

It rather looks as if you are marvelling at FS9 raindrops. FSX took many backward steps when it came out and rain is just one example.

FSX took many backward steps when it came out and rain is just one example.

Certainly there are many examples, but FSX was programmed by the so-called "ACES Bunker Boys"...they never saw daylight, they never saw the real world...so please forgive them.

Intel i9 12900K, Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z690-A Wifi D4, GSkill 32gb, RTX 4090

Regards Chris Kathi

+1 !  One of the best kept secrets in FSX  :-)

I feel stupid, dunno what this "secret" is?

Thanks to Skorna too, but I don´t know what "X-Graphics" is...

I feel stupid, dunno what this "secret" is?

Thanks to Skorna too, but I don´t know what "X-Graphics" is...

Made by the folks at Active Sky, I'm not sure its available any more

Jay