Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Try UK flights - currently very low pressure!

My weather station has just recorded its lowest pressure since records began in May 2009. Currently 964.4hPa or 28.48" if you prefer.

The transition from QNH to Standard and back again should make for some interesting flights! :biggrin:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Current METAR for Stornoway (Scotland)- EGPO 1020Z (Dec 24th), showing surface wind 170/47 gusting 61kts, QNH 937 (27.67in).

Going to give it a go on the Sim shortly, but need to watch those safe sector altitudes, FL040 is around 1870ft AMSL!

Eugene

Sounds like it will be fun Eugene.Pressure that low is pretty rare even in the North Atlantic.

I heard that the Emirates A380 had to perform a go-around yesterday at Manchester due to strong cross-winds. Size immaterial when it comes to wind.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Here's the Dublin Airport  report

Winds SW 30 Gust 43 Cloudy 965 hPa

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

what do pilots do when transitioning? My altitude jumped about 1000ft when coming into EGLL!

I just made my dad do a flight from Tiree to Stornaway in the Duke, sea level airport but altimeter couldn't be turned low enough so had to settle for 300ft.

Landing was fine, approach at 100kts, headwind 68kts lol.

They fly home on Friday, love flights to Scotland when the weather is crazy.

-Iain Watson-

what do pilots do when transitioning? My altitude jumped about 1000ft when coming into EGLL!

Once cleared to an alitude they should select QNH on at least one altimeter, usually the one the autopilot or pilot flying is using, even if well above the transition altitude, so they don't get a nasty surprise!

Turns out 948hpa is the lowest I could set as well, for several different add-on aircraft, might be an FSX limitation.

Had to try the Carenado C152 at Stornoway, with 55kts on the clock, and enough power to fly level, I could be stationary above the runway, or even go backwards!

Good fun!

Eugene