Sign in to follow this  
Lawyer+Pilot

REX Texture Direct - Has the Jury Returned a Verdict?

Have they worked on the ocean textures to be more realistic? Also is there an option to file a flight plan and have it create textures based on the weather, like in Rex-E?

Based on all the comments about REX 4, I've decided to take the plunge and buy it.

Last Questions: Once installed, will the REX 4 textures I choose automatically replaced my current texture theme from REX OD? Is there anything else I need to do, or can I just start FSX from REX OD?

Many Thanks!

Elmo

Elmo Acio

It's hard to replace the gray matter that is inherent in every human being. No computer can do it quite that well yet.

— General John P. Jumper, USAF Chief of Staff, 'Air Line Pilot' magazine, April 2007

Based on all the comments about REX 4, I've decided to take the plunge and buy it.

Last Questions: Once installed, will the REX 4 textures I choose automatically replaced my current texture theme from REX OD? Is there anything else I need to do, or can I just start FSX from REX OD?

Many Thanks!

Elmo

http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28858-how-to-use-rex4-td-textures-and-rex-essentialsplusod-as-your-weather-engine/

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I bought it and am really impressed. I agree about the sky textures looking much more realistic. And like the ocean textures too. Probably a little too blue for overcast conditions but I am sure they will update it eventually.

I don't mean to rain on the parade, but I bet if you were to compare a similar weather theme between Rex OD and Rex4 you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. Happy to be corrected though...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

The main difference is the way the lighting is handled. If you have lens flare turned on you will see a huge difference in the way it handled. If your flying an approach towards a sunset you actually have proper glare.

For those of you finding the water very blue especially around the UK. I have managed to get a texture set together which has nice dark water, I used the very last texture set on the water categories and have seen a vast improvement.  I suppose it also ties in with what sky textures you are using at the time as well.

When I`m done with my long haul 4 hrs to go I`ll update this thread with the name of the theme I`ve uploaded so you can try it.

Doogie   REX Beta tester

I don't mean to rain on the parade, but I bet if you were to compare a similar weather theme between Rex OD and Rex4 you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. Happy to be corrected though...

I used Rex OD weather textures for every flight, and notice a big difference with Rex4. The sunrises and sunsets are much more realistic and less dramatic. You don't see every sunrise as a majestic purple and orange collage, because most aren't. With OD every sky theme was over the top. I was flying in a cartoon not a simulator. 

I don't think Rex4 colorizes the water based on weather? I could be wrong but I liked that about Essentials. But the textures copy over in only a few seconds, while OD takes a minute.

Sun just set on my flight from Europe and I notice the night sky does not have that ugly and pronounced milky way texture anymore. It is a much smoother texture and more realistic.

OK chaps here is a screenie of how I have my water. 

DarkerWaterforUK_zps56efae27.jpg

I uploaded the theme to REX4 TD,theme number 1894 called Darker Water for UK.  I also use FS Water Configurator but I dont think I ran it the other day after installing this texture set.  This handy tool can really let you customize the way the sky is reflected in the water and a lot more. Best of all its freeware. http://www.strikingsoftware.com/fswc.shtml

I usually use Eric`s or Orion`s favorite settings with FS Water Configurator on the dropdown menu in the tool.

I really think the sky textures you choose will effect the look of water so if you use a bright blue tropical sky then it will reflect in the water. That`s why I tend to stick to more pastel dawn/day/dusk textures for UK flying.

Hopefully this will help a little and point folks in the right direction.

Cheers Doogie    REX Beta tester

I used Rex OD weather textures for every flight, and notice a big difference with Rex4. The sunrises and sunsets are much more realistic and less dramatic. You don't see every sunrise as a majestic purple and orange collage, because most aren't. With OD every sky theme was over the top. I was flying in a cartoon not a simulator.

I don't think Rex4 colorizes the water based on weather? I could be wrong but I liked that about Essentials. But the textures copy over in only a few seconds, while OD takes a minute.

Hi David, sure, I agree, there are many textures which are unrealistic, but if chosen carefully you can create some stunning themes, as I have found. But sure, I think on reflection there are only a handful of sky themes that I use. I only use four different themes and load whichever one fits the current real weather eg. I have, winter fine weather, winter bad weather, summer fine weather and summer bad weather, oh, and I have a miserable weather that I use for all those horrible days with low stratus and fog.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Coming from REX OD to REX4 for me is a big inprovment apart from sea colours are to blue but am sure that will be fixed.

If you like very colourfully themes, REX 4 is not for you, yes like Howard above with work you can make a few sets work. I only had one set I was truly happy with OD.

REX4 I have about 7 set already.

REX4 is all about subtlety it looks far more real and I can understand that a lot of people can not see the subtlety and want picture post card drama. 

Add to that you can load a set within 5 seconds. It opens up loads more room than OD 

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Yep, I also didn't like the sea colours but I haven't tried them all yet, I backed up my textures before I installed the new ones but it ruined my orbx bella cooler and stewart runways and I couldn't get them back, even after re installing them. Since then I have had a new 780 gpu and have done a complete new install of windows and fsx, I have not used rex 4 yet as I am worried about ruining those beautifully realistic runways again.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

<p>vrs_supporter.png

Paul Sleight

Can anyone tell me if the grass textures are included in REX Texture Direct? Does it include the ability to download free add on textures like Rex Essentials with Overdrive?  I have no need for a weather injector now so the Rex Essentials Plus with Overdrive seems like overkill for my needs. I pretty much just use FSX to practice hand flying instrument approaches to manually set minimums. I use FSX primarily for procedures practice in "soupy" IFR but it would be nice to have transitions in and out of cloud instead of the default "all or nothing" in FSX. I've got pretty good freeware addons for my local airports but would like to improve ground textures for a more immersive experience while taxiing around...

Can anyone tell me if the grass textures are included in REX Texture Direct? Does it include the ability to download free add on textures like Rex Essentials with Overdrive?  I have no need for a weather injector now so the Rex Essentials Plus with Overdrive seems like overkill for my needs. I pretty much just use FSX to practice hand flying instrument approaches to manually set minimums. I use FSX primarily for procedures practice in "soupy" IFR but it would be nice to have transitions in and out of cloud instead of the default "all or nothing" in FSX. I've got pretty good freeware addons for my local airports but would like to improve ground textures for a more immersive experience while taxiing around...

Based on what you are saying I think you would be quite happy with REX4. It is simple to use and does a great job with the airport features including grass (bumpmap), runway/taxiway/ramp textures, markings and lighting. Cloud and sky textures are fantastic as well. I would also recommend using the low resolution settings. They are great for performance and, to my eye, more realistic as well.

If someday you decide you do want to use real world weather I would highly recommend ActiveSky Next. A great combination for the best of the best in realism.

Hope you enjoy it!!

Jesse Cochran
"... eyes ever turned skyward"

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals