Sign in to follow this  
dighost

DX10 Fixer worth it?

I think it was worth it, made the sim so smooth on my end.

+1 totally new experience.

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

After reading this I decided to get it too. I will report how it works with ftx global, Rex direct 4, ASN, GSX and PMDG as I suppose that other addons won't be affected.

Hope to get some nice results :)

Hmm, I must have something else going on in my system.

I bought it and tried to use it.  Now, whenever I try to use DX10, I get a crash to desktop.  FSX complete shuts down and closes.  I had to go back into the Fixer and switch back to DX9 just to get FSX to run.  I can't even get DX10 to work by switching from within FSX now.

So, I am stuck with DX9.

Oh well, it was worth a try.

Hmm, I must have something else going on in my system.

I bought it and tried to use it.  Now, whenever I try to use DX10, I get a crash to desktop.  FSX complete shuts down and closes.  I had to go back into the Fixer and switch back to DX9 just to get FSX to run.  I can't even get DX10 to work by switching from within FSX now.

So, I am stuck with DX9.

Oh well, it was worth a try.

You can get help. Go here http://forum.avsim.net/forum/569-dx-10-discussions-hints-and-help/

Don't give up just because of a glitch which can be fixed.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I might try deleting my old cfg (or moving it) just in case there were some changes that the fixer didn't like?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

PJ wrote an extensive DX10 set up guide, and is worth reading. Starting with a new fsx.cfg is a good idea. And follow the guide and add to the fsx.cfg one step at a time.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

You can get help. Go here http://forum.avsim.net/forum/569-dx-10-discussions-hints-and-help/

Don't give up just because of a glitch which can be fixed.

Listen to the man. I had several abortive attempts at swapping to DX10 but faffing about with a fix here, a tweak there a 'you need the latest fix' etc. drove me nuts! Then DX10 Fixer came out. Hardly any learning curve to fret about, just follow your nose. Like my signature says: There's no going back! I think some people are trying to be too smart with it.

Oo! I feel a rant coming on. Best stop now.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

OK - small review from me. 

DX9 - NEVER AGAIN. 

I also tweaked some of my NVinspector settings according to J van E thread made some time ago here. I am so GLAD that OP created this topic. I am actually in a new SIM! 

THANK YOU. :) 

It wasn't worth it for me at all.

It seems to benefit weaker systems the most, but it highly depends on your current configuration whether you are going to see an improvement. For me, DX10 default performs WAY better than DX9 default. But if I tweak my DX9 properly (BP=0) I get this exact same performance boost and in fact, DX10 performs very slightly worse for me.

You can also expect some bugs at night on Aerosoft airports. For example when you turn you landings lights to off, some of the airports lights will turn off along with it.

Well, this old fart finally got DX10 up and going.  Thanks for the suggestions -- they worked.

Wilson

I've tried DX10 fixer twice now and have finally reverted to DX9 after failing to get Vsync to work, get acceptable AA and come to terms with DX10's inferior water.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Well, this old fart finally got DX10 up and going.  Thanks for the suggestions -- they worked.

Wilson

Enjoy it Wilson. It took me years to reach the level of satisfaction I now get from FSX in DX10 mode.

I have P3Dv2, but uninstalled it and am waiting for a patch, and for the oportunity to make an upgrade to my PC - it is certainly a platform with future, but requires up-to-date hardware, specially a good graphics board, to take the most out of what it offers...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

REX4 takes care of the water Howard.

Hi Ron,

Merry Christmas to you matey. Hey, that's interesting you mention that. So does REX4 simulate the kind if water that is as good as 'sparkling' in REXEssentials, which IMO is first rate?

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I'll be honest and say I haven't experienced this myself, but my TS/flying buddy assures me that whitecaps appear according to the prevailing wind strength. I haven't had time to try it out but I have no reason to doubt him.

In fact, I'm going to take a looksee right now.

brb

Well, there are definitely whitecaps which have been sorely missed in DX10. Whether they are dependent on wind it's hard to say. I tried 16kt and 0kt winds, one after the other. Perhaps it wasn't a fair test.

Oh, and Merry Crimble to you too.

Another EDIT: Just had another go and I can state categorically that the windier it is the more whitecaps you get! bleedin' brilliant! 

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.