Sign in to follow this  

Scenery Library: which files are changed?

I want to test something and for that I have to add various things to the Scenery Library. Now I know that to get rid of whatever you added, you simply have to remove them from the library. But I was wondering if that really completely removes every possible trace or not. Which files are actually changed when you add something to the Scenery Library? Really only the Scenery.cfg? I'd like to make a backup of everyt affected file before I add anything!

If you delete it from the scenery library in FSX then that disables the scenery in FSX.

The scenery files will still exist on your hard drive and you can delete them if you want - unless you intend to re-enable them in the future.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Thanks! So no other files than the scenery.cg will be altered (or added somewhere)?

No.

It really is that simple.

If there is a scenery library entry and it is enabled, FSX can see the scenery.

If there is a scenery library entry and it is disabled or no scenery library entry, FSX cannot see it.

Nothing else to it.

Regards,

Nick.

I think there are a bunch of Filelistxxxxx.DAT files in %programdata%\Microsoft\FSX\SceneryIndexes, not sure on the exact location, I'm on WinXP at the moment and can't check (they're in All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\SceneryIndexes on XP). They shouldn't need to be backed up though, FSX should rebuild them when you change something in the scenery library.

Jim

I think there are a bunch of Filelistxxxxx.DAT files in %programdata%\Microsoft\FSX\SceneryIndexes, not sure on the exact location, I'm on WinXP at the moment and can't check (they're in All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\SceneryIndexes on XP). They shouldn't need to be backed up though, FSX should rebuild them when you change something in the scenery library.

Correct! I already found that folder earlier today: that was what I was looking for. FSX indeed rebuilds things but after installing all kinds of scenery, simply restoring the backup of the entire folder, restores everything to what it was before! This way I was able to test various things and I could simply restore various backups to test various combinations of addon scenery.