Sign in to follow this  

The chicken and the egg. Some experiences. (Or: How I solved my weird trees)

..........Well, I also wondered about that. Orbx said that P3D was changing a lot in the end and when the beta ended the final version was already a bit different from the beta they had been using and so they never really tested with the released version.

But well, in all honesty, I find it very hard to believe that things have changed so much in the end that suddenly all kinds of problems showed up. I mean, even when things have changed a little, the beta WAS DX11 already and a lot of the problems are due to DX11 being different. I simply think they didn't beta test very well........

Hi Jeroen,

well, I developed software for some decades and I know how smart developers can be to blame others if they didn't do their job well. :lol:

I was always wondering how the ORBX sceneries will work with DX11 if they weren't even done and good for DX10. In a sudden everything looked fine and Prepar3d.

Now we wait since a month and no other ORBX sceneries are ready yet because it wasn't only to make a smarter installer it's because to adjust major things for DX11.

I would say in such a case: "The job wasn't done well even with Beta testing - target failed". :rolleyes:

Spirit

Well, that is indeed an odd way to beta test something and claim its compatible! .... and then show all kinds of screen shots with the new P3D making us drool with delight!... I am struggling to accept that someone didn't try to fly without fog, using ORBX Global or run though a bunch of NORMAL scenarios that most simmers do...

Do not testers have some kind of checklist they follow and report back to marketing with their findings?

Sorry for hijacking your thread JVE... I guess i am a little miffed at being sucked in by the hype only to find that a bunch of stuff thast was supposed to work doesn't because "the company changed a lot of stuff at the last minute"... really? Exactly what did they change in the code to make things NOT work as they did a few weeks before?... and why wouldn't they have communicated this to various companies who are 'close' to them? All sounds a bit fairy tale to me to be honest...

Thanks for your comment JVE

Cheers

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

Do not testers have some kind of checklist they follow and report back to marketing with their findings?

Well, the Pros would have done it this way!!!

Maybe everything was underestimated and the big pile of rubbish not being seen?

Spirit

Yes, well, I am also a bit disappointed by how some devs told us everything would be fine with P3D 2.0 and maybe even more by how it took some devs a few weeks before they started to acknowledge slowly something was wrong and not everything was working. Devs are of course used to beta testing but as I said, I suppose they only test their own stuff so they don't beta test as we users would. Then again, there were also regular users on the beta test...!

Anyway, apart from those white lights FTXG is working fine now on my PC, even with the unsupported A2A C172 not everything is lost... ^_^

Well, about the trees which become buildings I got now some deeper results and my testings seems to proof that a tool which improves the look of trees is doing this on my PC and my P3D v2.

After a deinstallation of this tool all the trees were fine and no weird buildings anymore.

I installed again and boom the trees became buildings in my special cases.

So it is clear that even the simplest add-on can harm any scenery in the strangest way.

Spirit

So it is clear that even the simplest add-on can harm any scenery in the strangest way.

Which would mean that any combination of addons can cause this... Which means LM really has to look at this! Unfortunately I can't remember LM posting about this yet...

So.... if i understand this all...when LM sent out copies of P3Dv2 to different companies to "beta test" it with the (vendors) company's own addon stuff, LM is really only interested in making sure that THEIR product works out of the box ...i guess in a vanilla state... thus if a vendor wants to chuck and add all of their own addons at ti, it wold be their (vendors) responsibility to make sure it all works properly BEFORE its released to the public... LM is only providing what it aid it would and from what i see they are acknowledging faults and communicating in trying to fix them up...

I can understand LM not being responsible for 3rd party stuff completely as it is these that cause the problem for the most part... BUT there is no excuse for a vendor to CLAIM certain things and release their product then say "they changed it on us at the last minute"... I don't think that works in the real world and damages a persons reputation... reminded me of the ancient Assyrians.. who in history never admitted to military failure as "made them look bad among the nations round about"... yep.. good old saving face!

Having said that, there seems to be a fair bit of work in understanding the actual impact of addons to this new software.. perhaps new coders are in order? Widen the gene pool a bit?

All i know is that so far my system works just fine, white boxes and all... and even though its taken the gloss out of the whole simming thing somewhat, I'll not be so keen to part with my money any longer until i know for damn sure the addon works... despite how the vendor pushes it... <_<

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

Hm, seems that a lot of people with this problem have freeware installed. Are there people here that have this tree problem and who do NOT have freeware installed? Apparently some addons don't play well together...

I can confirm this.

Looking back the tree texture problem began after I had installed the freeware Aeroworx South Africa scenery (very good scenery by the way). If I disable the scenery the tree problem is gone.

If I want to use the scenery I use the 'texture resolution change' trick to get the tree back to normal.

Furthermore I have installed Pilot's FSGlobal 2010 X, Orbx FTX Global, Orbx FTX Ireland adn North-Ireland. These add-ons do not cause problem with me.

Edit: I was not thorough enough. If I do what is in this post, go to Honolulu Intl, I see the strange tree textures again....

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=3927

Which would mean that any combination of addons can cause this... Which means LM really has to look at this! Unfortunately I can't remember LM posting about this yet...

Hi Jeroen,

not sure if LM is to blame for such faults. I see the problem more at the add-on developer side.

Spirit

I thought you only had to change the texture resolution (through the menu) and then switch back to whatever resolution you were using originally?

I thought you only had to change the texture resolution (through the menu) and then switch back to whatever resolution you were using originally?

That fixes it for me.

Yes, that's correct. But 1. that's annoying to do every single time and 2. there simply is something wrong with (I suppose) the memory management. The weird trees are an obvious prove of this but you never know how things also may be screwed up in the background. This might also have to do with the odd and unexpected OOMs people are reporting.

Another chicken and the egg experience. After concluding that I can use P3D 2.0 together with FTX Global, the A2A C172 and freeware Norway landclass without running into OOMs I installed FSUIPC yesterday (which I finally bought after thinking years about it). Well, during my first flight with it I got OOMs every few minutes. At first I thought it had to do with the Autosave option (which is the only option I actually use of FSUIPC) but after checking the times of my OOMs and the autosaves I had to conclude that wasn't so. After some more testing I noticed I could continue the flight without problems if I disabled the freeware landclass.

Now you tell me what caused this problem...! It seems impossible to beta test/troubleshoot P3D 2.0 because every possible combination of addons can result in OOMs, so it seems! Add one perfectly fine compatible addon to a combination of addons that seem to work and you may get an OOM. This way it is extremely hard to check and figure out what addons do work with P3D 2.0 but that do also work together with other addons. On top of that this all seems to be a YMMV thing and rather random because not everyone is having similar problems.

The first OOM I had was pretty weird btw... I started a flight and after only 2 minutes I paused P3D 2.0 and switched to Firefox to check something out. While I was reading something on the internet with P3D still paused the OOM warning suddenly showed up out of nowhere...!!! All OOMs were with a very low VAS too and FSUIPC didn't give a warning.

Something is terribly wrong with P3D 2.0 VAS usage, if you ask me...

Anyway, now I've completely removed every trace of freeware from my PC and only use FTXG, A2A C172 and FSUIPC for now. I don't really dare to buy REX4, which I was planning to do. Hopefully 2.05 will solve some of this OOM madness.