Sign in to follow this  
stampee

5.1 surround sound not working

FSX doesn't support native 5.1

Yes, it does.

It's sad the MS killed hardware accelerated 3D sound. XP was the last version of Windows to support it. Now we are left with OpenAL. Maybee you have something broken in software. If I remember right there is a program that comes with that generation of soundcards to convert DirectSound 3D  to a software driver that works on creative soundcards.

Maybe it doesn't "technically" conform to a 5.1 or 7.1 standard, but it's only a matter of definition of "surround" then, as it certainly provides distinct left and right front, and left and right rear channels for the engines.  As already noted though, not all planes will support this however.  For examp, the NGX and prior fully support it, but the T7 doesn't because they decided to only make it stereo (but people complained, and so hopefully that will change in the future). 

You are exactly correct.  I stand corrected from my comments in post 2 above.

Best regards

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

If your sound card can process Dolby Pro Logic II, you can give that a try.  It tries to simulate 5.1 or 7.1 from 2 or 4 channel sources.  

FSX is not 5.1.  True 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS have discrete audio channels.  If you're getting surround sound in FSX, it is matrixed like DPL II.

Are you selecting the RealTec digital output in FSX on the Sound screen?

Affirm Jim.

The test I tried was with the PMDG J41 as detailed by an earlier poster and I could only hear the engines from the front speakers, there was no output from the rear speakers.

However looking at my receiver it appears that it is only getting a PCM signal, at least that's what the input display is showing.

ISTR that last time I investigated 5.1 via a TOSLINK someone said you would only get stereo because the optical bandwidth was insufficient to support 5.1 sound.

Dave

EDIT: More info.

Just discovered that if FSX is not running but the PC is still TOSLINK connected to the receiver i can select various inputs such as Dolby D, Theatre, etc but as soon as FSX loads the input reverts to PCM and the dispaly reads "All Ch St" (all channel stereo)

That to me suggests the RealTek audio CAN supply 5.1 sound but FSX is only delivering stereo.

However looking at my receiver it appears that it is only getting a PCM signal, at least that's what the input display is showing.

ISTR that last time I investigated 5.1 via a TOSLINK someone said you would only get stereo because the optical bandwidth was insufficient to support 5.1 sound.

Any signal through TOSLINK is PCM (Pulse Code Modulation). 

Optical has no problem supporting 5.1.  It's bandwidth is only enough to support standard DD and DTS but NOT enough for Dolby True HD and DTS HD which are much higher resolution sound formats.

If you want sound coming from all your speakers in a simulated 5.1, please try setting your receiver sound processing to Dolby Pro Logic II like I mentioned earlier (sorry, I made a typo earlier and accidentally wrote sound card instead of receiver.

o are you saying that some planes don't support a center channel?

Not supported and Not having a signal present are two different things, but in essence you could sort of say that is a true statement.  That's why I suggest you tune an attis frequency and see if it plays through your center speaker if your not using a default aircraft for testing as Jim pointed out.  (and you don't have the "Voice" option set to another playback device like a USB headset form the main FSX Sound Settings menu)

The default B737 plays sound through the front three speakers (including the center) while sitting in the VC.  Using the "S" key to cycle to an exterior view and then panning the exterior view from left to right should channel sound through your rear surround speakers.  You should be able to replicate this and if able then you'll know it's not your set up it's just the aircraft your using not sending any signal to your center channel.  Should take less than 2 minutes to confirm.

RE Thomason Jr.

The default B737 plays sound through the front three speakers (including the center) while sitting in the VC. 

That's interesting to hear that!  On my set, which I guess is technically only 4 channel (front subwoofer and LF, RF speakers are all on one jack, so it's 5 total speakers, but no true center channel), the 737 left engine comes out of left rear, and the right engine, out of right rear, but rotating the head around 180 degrees to face the back wall of the cockpit, the sound will correctly shift to the front, just as you would expect it to.  Maybe the op should experiment with what happens when he sets audio to 4 only, instead of 5.1, and configures his speakers accordingly?

That's interesting!  On my set, which I guess is only 4 channel (front subwoofer and LF, RF speakers are all on one jack, so it's 5 total speakers), the 737 left engine comes out of left rear, and the right engine, out of right rear, but rotating the head around 180 degrees to face the back wall of the cockpit, the sound will correctly shift to the front, just as you would expect it to.  Maybe the op should experiment with what happens when he sets audio to 4 only, instead of 5.1?

Oh Good Catch!  I stand corrected...

I use track IR and the room I sim in is large enough that I had to walk over to my rear surround speakers to check them, which led to inaccurate results. I just didn't have enough volume on them at the time to tell that the sound was correctly panning from where I was sitting; the external views were no problem since they are "louder" in general. When the view was centered (It re-centered  when I walked over to listen to the surround speakers) the sound  channeled through the front three speakers and the sub.

Cranking up the sound (to the displeasure of my wife) and panning my view left and right does shift the sound correctly as you describe.

The OP should be able to test using the Default 737 and confirm if the center channel is working or not, especially if it is going direct from sound card to speakers as described (No mixing or Dolby processing mode being conducted by a stand alone receiver) My receiver is a bit dated and had 5.1 RCA inputs in the back so it was really easy to set up but works great for FSX

RE Thomason Jr.

please try setting your receiver sound processing to Dolby Pro Logic II

Unable to select Dolby Pro Logic II but can select PLII Movie, T-D, Neo:6Cinema, TV Logic, Direct. In direct mode the receiver does not do any signal processing, just uses the input signal as it is.

Using the default 737 if I look towards the rear bulkhead all sound comes from the front speakers, no sound from rear speakers but the sound does move from left to right as i pan around.

In direct mode is still get no sound from the rear speakers but the sound from the front speakers is more muffled and there is very little difference when I pan left and right.

Considering direct mode uses the input sound it seems that I am only getting a stereo signal in, for whatever reason.

After some testing, I do get center channel sounds, but it's HIGHLY dependent on the plane and view. An external spot view for example sends all of the prop noise of a single engine Cessna to the center speaker.

Well after more 'messing' it looks like the lack of 5.1 audio is down to the on board audio.

I have a racing sim that allows me to set up 5.1 audio but I only get stereo.

If , in control panel, I select Realtek speakers then from the audio manager I can set the speakers to stereo, quad or 5.1 but if i select the digital output I only get a main volume and left/right balance control. Also if I click 'Test' from the digital device I only get stereo.