Sign in to follow this  
jimmy64

I'm Convinced

We are now a month in to the V2 chapter and I've been sitting on the sidelines, lurking, reading and watching. I've read the good and the bad and seen the best and the worst of human behavior (so to speak). It amazes me how impassioned some can become about our chosen hobby and the equipment within it, both hardware as well as software. My head has hurt at times from continuing to read a bad thread, hoping that it might turn for the better or that I may find some useful information. I've watched Vlogs and YouTube clips till I've had to use a homeopathic solution for my tired and strained eyes. Now, with my computer under re-construction (I'm on my laptop) and the final purchases being made it is finally time to pull the trigger one direction or the other. I'm not wired to be a two sim guy, not surprising as I could never cheat on girlfriends. So now, with 30 days of research done, I'm  ready to make my decision as to which flight simulator program will inhabit my SSD, and it's not what I thought it would be through most of this process! I am prepared :smile: ... to go with V2! The why's are really only important to me and I choose not to start another one of those bad threads by pointing out one particular feature or lack thereof. My copy of FSX is officially off to the local thrift store where I'm sure it will find some life again. I'm looking forward to the upcoming years and the thousands of hours that I'm certain to spend, in the skies of V2.

James McLees

Well as someone switching back to FSX today have fun.

PV2 in its base form is ok, currently the add on material won't work properly for the most part. Overall the program has a lot of work, and even when I had things running smoothly I would always get a crash after running the program for around 2 hours. You also have issues of porting planes over, the programs are just too different and despite programs adverting P3D ready they are not, they have to re-write the code to make use of P3D and the way it allocates it information.

I plan on running FSX as my primary flight sim, I doubt I will install P3D again until they update it. So if you have a lot of FSX stuff like I do, this probably isn't a great move, keep the FSX you will be back to it in a week or two, P3D has too many little flaws that add up, from the main screen launcher and not being able to do a flight plan form the main screen to the various stupid small errors that should of been fixed before release as they are so obvious and happen to just about everyone.

I appreciate your concern and I place value in everyone's experience. There's not much, if anything really, that I haven't found out, over and over, by now. What I will be using has a great deal of developer support, not to mention that of LM. I enjoy the journey as much as the end result, and just like I enjoyed my time with FSX, which was far from perfect in the fall of 2006, I'll enjoy this one.

James McLees

Load up p3d in a years time when all the bugs are sorted and developers have it sorted out. I'm not pro fsx or p3d, just saying that it takes time before she's playing nice with third party software.

Hi jimmy, I made the same switch you did and never looked back. I am running v2 with ftx global, Rex, ezdok, ut2 and coolsky dc9. No problems and no crashes. It's so much better than fsx in terms of performance and visuals. A patch due next month will sort out some niggles and future updates will bring cloud shadows and other goodies.

Another thing to remember when reading posts - people are far more likely to post issues and problems then everything is great emails.

FSX is an old platform without support of Microsoft. P3D has a bright future because of the active support from LM.

I'm using V2 from the first day, and I really like it. Of course there are some issues, but LM is on it and the first update will be released soon.

I deleted FSX, and enjoy P3D V2

This is what I'm installing:

Aircraft; iFly 737NG (already have P3D license), A2A Piper Cub, A2A C172, Carenado's T182T (will eventually use Flight1's G1000 Student Trainer with this), Majestic Q400, and when released PMDG's 777.

Weather: ASN

Textures: REX Essential, will get 4 later, FTX Global Vectors

Airports: FSDT KJFK & KLAX

Scenery: ORBX PNW

That should do it for a while!

James McLees

Dude to each its own, If you just can't bare to play without all the ironed out FSX addons that are incompatible with P3D, then don't bother.

For some of us this was our way of starting over and reliving that immersion magic of something new in a sim. 

I was immersed with basic stock default P3DV2 right off the bat.

Havn't had that feeling since 2006. Now with FTXG and Rex4 installed its gonna be an even better experience.

Addon planes and other things can wait for now, until I'm bored with the default features.

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

................ I enjoy the journey as much as the end result, and just like I enjoyed my time with FSX, which was far from perfect in the fall of 2006, I'll enjoy this one.

This is so true! Exactly what I try to teach my students: the adventure of learning is so much more interesting than just knowledge per se! Too bad everyone and everything around us is obsessioned with results all the time ..... And I'm not talking about flightsimming of course.

This is interesting reading! People "port over" add-ons that are NOT compatible with P3D v2 and when they don´t work properly, they post a complaint and blame P3D v2!!!!!!!! When will you ever learn?

This was mentioned in another thread but I'll bring it up here as well. Razbam's Metroliner 111 is not a port, it's V2 native and the P3D version won't work in FSX. This is good news as other developers are sure to do the same. iFly's 737 NG for P3D, also will not work in FSX. I don't know about PMDG's 777, but I would think that they will not release it for P3D unless it works flawlessly in V2. Some of the later model planes with P3D installers that aren't perfect out of the box will get the attention they deserve from their developers, if not, so be it. More are coming. 

James McLees

I think he was referencing ORBX scenerey which is causing some problems.

Frank Olaf Sem-Jacobsen

I have full faith that ORBX will get their issues ironed out quickly. I'm making this move because I don't think it's going to take a year to get things running right. My feelings are, if I wait a year as some are doing, I would be missing out on 9-10 months or more of flying time in this new environment. Add that to the fact that this is going into a brand new computer, going to V2 just makes sense for me. Those who are holding out have their own reasons, and I think many of them are valid. Some only have limited time to devote to flight simming and if their set-up is working for them, now may not be the time.

James McLees

I would be missing out on 9-10 months or more of flying time in this new environment.

Well go for it! Who are you trying to convince? Us, or yourself? Thanks for telling me its ok if I wait tl LEAST a year. FS is only entertainment for me anyways.

For me half the fun of P3D 2.0 is the fact that it's a sim with a future. In development as we speak. I simply want to be part of this 'living' sim!!! Even though that sometimes means I have to deal with frustration...  ^_^ 

Just to be sure (although I suppose you know this already since you took your time to 'read into it'): you do need the special P3D 2.0 version of ASN, and you have to take care with REX3 because some textures won't work well and may hurt performance. PNW is on Orbx's list as one of the first regions to be made compatible so that one shouldn't take too long although things are taking more time than Orbx expected due to various problems.