Sign in to follow this  
jimmy64

I'm Convinced

And just so there's no confusion - the P3D2 Version of ASN is in beta and has NOT been released yet.

I too switched to P3D and haven't looked back. I have FSX on a second system and only fire it up when I am testing something. At this stage of the release, P3D2 has FEWER issues than FSX did in the same time period. Don't forget, there are also a lot of people who just recently switched to FSX and have the benefit of all the tweaking done through the years. The big key, as others have pointed out, is that P3D is a "live" and growing product. FSX is essentially stagnant as a platform, relying only on add-on developers for a new spark every now and then.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

And just so there's no confusion - the P3D2 Version of ASN is in beta and has NOT been released yet.

I too switched to P3D and haven't looked back. I have FSX on a second system and only fire it up when I am testing something. At this stage of the release, P3D2 has FEWER issues than FSX did in the same time period. Don't forget, there are also a lot of people who just recently switched to FSX and have the benefit of all the tweaking done through the years. The big key, as others have pointed out, is that P3D is a "live" and growing product. FSX is essentially stagnant as a platform, relying only on add-on developers for a new spark every now and then.

Vic

As someone pointed out before in some thread, it's not the FSX of 2006 that is the comparison point right now.  It's the FSX of Dec 2013 with it's hundreds of certified compatible addons, and years worth of knowledge about how to get it to perform optimally, and of course most of us have already been over that hurdle for a long time now.  P3D is definitely the way forward, but I completely sympathize with the people who have decided to stick with FSX as their primary platform for the short term:  There really is something to be said for an FSX at the top of it's game, perhaps not to live much longer, but nearly as mature as it's going to get. 

For me, even though P3D has its issues at this time, it is fun to be part of the experience in watching it continue to develop into the platform that it will become, as well as participating in shaping the product as an owner by providing input in the Lockheed Martin's forums.

I am really looking forward to v2.05, which will be a service pack to take care of many minor and moderate issues.  Who knows, we may even get a new feature or a feature upgrade.  Then after that we have v2.1, which should include new features (possibly SLI and cloud shadows) upgraded features(possibly improved water) and additional bug fixes (possibly the FSX stutter bug that LM discovered recently).  By the way, I am pretty sure that microsoft won't be working on that bug anytime soon.

After v2.1, we will have v2.2 and beyond.  Good times ahead.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Well go for it! Who are you trying to convince? Us, or yourself? Thanks for telling me its ok if I wait tl LEAST a year. FS is only entertainment for me anyways.

I don't understand, first why you are in a P3D thread after having tried it, returned it and gone back to FSX and second, where or why you take the contents of the thread and make it into some type of personal affront. I'm quoting your first post in the thread and yet you make it seem like there's been some previous comment made directly to you that says it's OK if you hold off using P3D. Why are you doing that, Rendi? If you have decided not to use P3D at this time, that's OK. But why do you want to keep coming back and inserting yourself into threads about a product YOU don't want to use.

It seems like you need to get some answers for your actions and maybe then you won't feel the need to come into this P3D forum or hopefully, any other P3D forum and attack the product or the people who want to use it

Hehe! Funny reading all this, maybe we need some special appointed "Sim Counsellors" to help people adjust, move  on, or move back, or whatever they may find fit for the special Sim  OCD psyche!

Gosh, it´s crazy these days...

:rolleyes:

I don't know about PMDG's 777, but I would think that they will not release it for P3D unless it works flawlessly in V2.

Personally, I think it was developed with v1.4 and is ready for v2. We're just waiting on licensing.

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

Personally, I think it was developed with v1.4 and is ready for v2. We're just waiting on licensing.

Don't think so. The plane doesn't even work in P3D with the various available tricks because it is blocked in the code itself (unlike the 737NGX and other older models) so it certainly wasn't developed with 1.4. But even if it was it wouldn't be strange if it needed some recoding due to DX11, like a lot of other planes, specially since this is quite a complicated one.

And besides, PMDG stated they aren't thinking about going 'into P3D' for the simmers, so that could mean they have a more professional market in mind and that could mean the addon will require even more extra and 'deeper' modelling of various things.

There are some issues that may take a while to iron out but I think there is hope they will be.  The positives have been mentioned many times and they are the reason despite using FSX well tricked out for years and having excellent performance...I find I just haven't been using it since installed V2.  

Besides the smaller bugs that will be addressed in 2.1 one area that looks poorly to me is the very clear line of demarkation of 3D lights in FTXG during night flights into big metro areas, where as you fly along the line keeps moving ahead of you in step w/ your movement forward.   Interestingly, on my machine I can GPU utilization at only 40% in this scenario, which is one reason I'm hopeful this too will be improved as that seems like a boatload of unused processing asset to be sitting on the sidelines.  I haven't noticed this in FSX, but it's been awhile since I've been up in FSX so maybe I've forgotten.   Maybe ORBX will improve on the 3D lighting which I don't believe is exploiting DX11 well or so I've read.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Hehe! Funny reading all this, maybe we need some special appointed "Sim Counsellors" to help people adjust, move  on, or move back, or whatever they may find fit for the special Sim  OCD psyche!

Gosh, it´s crazy these days...

:rolleyes:

I was thinking this exact same thing as I was reading through this topic (First topic to read since I joined, first reply as well).  I sympathize with the original poster when trying to search around, read opinions and watch videos there is a lot out there with die hard FSX fans, X Plane fans and I didn't even know about P3D until one of the videos mentioned it.

As a rec pilot I was wanting something as realistic as possible.  My dilemma is that over the last 10 years I've had very little time behind the controls and I'm at a point now where I have the time and resources to start flying again.  My previous flight sim experience with FSX dates back to the mid 80s and playing it as a kid.  My father who is also a pilot swears by it but at 70 years old he's stuck in his ways and resists change.

Having an IT background I know that technology changes so I was looking at alternatives and tried the X Plane demo but with that version cutting your joystick out after 15 mins I barely could give it a fair shake because I couldn't even fly between two small airports.

So I found P3D which apparently is based on FSX but upgraded to allow multithreading takes advantage of newer hardware.  To be honest at that point I was sold.  I did find it interesting that Lockheed promotes it more as a training platform than an entertainment product.  Maybe that's to give them more credibility on the simulator side or maybe they don't want a NAICS code for Toy and Game making.  Whatever the case is I decided to buy a license.

I've been doing flights in the Piper because unlock a lot of people I actually learned to fly in one of those (My grandfather was a pilot as well).  I cranked up realism and while I'm not 100% sure yet how it relates to actually flying it is a bit of a challenge.  I made my choice so I'll just go with it and use P3D as a tool to get some muscle memory back, learn the G1000 and have some fun.  I know nothing about the scenery or plane packages yet but I plan to get at least a few more planes, especially the ones I'm interested in purchasing.

Welcome to the v2 sky's :)

We all want and need different things, and I can sympathise with people that must have certain add-ons, to complete their own personal immersion factor.

The ones I need are either working or are imminent. For now, that is enough for me.

To a degree, it's like starting over again. When I had my first simulator, there were no extras to buy and collect, it was simply about learning to fly and learning to navigate.

The v2 world, as expected has some bad weather to deal with, but because it's SUPPORTED and development in on going, I personally don't need to enhance it with a zillion add-ons and a hanger full of airplanes, just because I can.

Put quite simply, for me, it fly's, the immersion of the outside world is, well, immersive. Remember the first time you ever flew in either a small trainer or passenger jet, and you were looking forward to the feeling of taking off and going through your first cloud?

For me FLIGHT still has the best feeling of flying a monitor I've ever experienced, v2 is the next best thing. Both bring back those first memory's of real flight. BUT, I now have the world at my fingertips, AND it's in current development. Furthermore, it's going to get better and better. I can go back to basics and learn all that stuff I had forgotten, it's so much more fun than collecting add-ons I never use. That's me anyway. :)

For me it's a love, hate relationship with FSX. I have everything maxed out, tons of a addon's which make FSX enjoyable and and FPS aren't a issue anymore but I just can't stand the unpredictable nature of FSX. Some nights I fly FSX it's smooth and stutter free, other nights I have stutters and it runs like crap.

The thing I've noticed with P3D V2 after doing more test fights and playing with the settings is it's smooth no matter what. There's no second guessing the performance every time you load it up and you don't have to worry about awful blurry textures, autogen popping up and most importantly no stutters. It definitely needs a patch to address some issues but it's the future of simming and for the first time ever in the world of MS simming you can actually fly this sim on current hardware.

Thanks Vic, yeah I know ASN is in beta. My SSD still hasn't been delivered and I'm a week or two from trying to POST. Then of course there's the time spent with overclocking and whatnot. I hope to be in a cockpit within 30 days! Hopefully ASN for V2 won't be far behind me, if not, I have OPUS. I feel like I'm still waiting for Xmas!

James McLees

LOL Jimmy - I know what you mean!

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I think the jury is very much still out about how P3DV2 will handle the very high demand scenario:  a PMDG big bird in a big FDST terminal.  What I notice is that my high end GPU isn't fully utilized even in default high demand locations when frame rate is on the edge or is outright impaired.   Throw in PMDG/FSDT and to me all bets are off.   The common reply to this is, 'wait until these are 'optimized' for V2....'  However, do we really have any real knowledge about how much 'optimization' can add?  Will we see optimizations done for existing add ons, or just installers?  This could be a very big distinction.  Right now I know I can fly in and out of FSDT's KPHX in the PMDG T7 and do shockingly well in FSX.  I would venture a guess performance will be much worse in V2 in this setting as both products exist now.  I hope this isn't the case but in my mind the jury is well out on this very issue.

All this being said--V2 is very fun to fly, visually offering some things we just don't have in FSX, so for now I'm finding myself in V2 almost all of my flying time ;o)  I essentially see myself using V2 for smaller/lighter aircraft, and keeping FSX alive for the heavy stuff and long flights.  I like one other aspect of this approach:  visiting FSX every once in a while keeps me coming back to V2 as I then re-appreciate the visual differences ;o)

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X