Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Procedure for in-flight engine relight at CRZ

Can somebody tell me the correct procedure to relight an engine at cruise if it stalls or if somebody accidentally hits the fuel lever to off on the pedestal?  After no. 2 quit on me, I first descended from FL390 to FL300 and reduced speed to IAS 300.  I wondered if I could use Autostart to relight, but that didn't seem to work.  So then I pulled the thrust lever all the way back, confirmed the relevant fuel lever was set to off; and then hit the engine start button for no. 2, and a few moments later set its fuel lever to on.  I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be monitoring N2 for, but after N2 started to rise and no. 2 start button popped back, N1 rose swiftly and I continued on my way.  Was this the correct procedure or was I just guessing and maybe in a risky manner?  I appreciate any replies, thanks.

JS

I first descended from FL390 to FL300 and reduced speed to IAS 300

You want to descend to an altitude and speed up/slow down to the altitude and airspeed indicated on the VNAV cruise page after selecting ENG OUT on the CDU. Set that altitude in the altitude select window and she should start to descend to that altitude if the A/P is in VNAV.

Was this the correct procedure or was I just guessing and maybe in a risky manner? I appreciate any replies, thanks.

If the message "X-BLD" is not shown on the EICAS display, you need to windmill start the engine. Just set the FUEL CONTROL switch to RUN.

If the message "X-BLD" is shown you can restart the engine via a crossbleed start. Pull the ENGINE START SWITCH, and if autostart is on, set the FUEL CONTROL switch to RUN. If autostart is OFF, move the FUEL CONTROL SWITCH to RUN when N2 exceeds fuel-on indicator.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

Thank you for your reply with this helpful info.  I have one further question: what do you mean by "when N2 exceeds fuel-on indicator"?  Where is that indicator?

P.S.  I descended to FL300 and reduced speed to IAS 300 because when the engine flamed out, the upper EICAS told me to descend to FL300 and fly within a certain range of IAS so I chose 300 as being suitable for the altitude and weight.

Thanks again.

JS

What does the fuel-on indicator (magenta line) on the N2 tape indicate?

This indicator displays the minimum N2 RPM at which the Fuel Control switch should be placed to RUN during start. (Displayed when the Fuel Control switch is in CUTOFF and the Fire Switch is IN.)

Rob Prest

OK, great stuff, it all works as you specified in reply to me.  Now I also see the indications of changed OPT ALT on the FMC as well as on the upper EICAS when an engine goes out.  I'm now successfully doing autostart and manual start re-starts in flight, to practice this procedure.  Thanks again!

JS