Sign in to follow this  
Groovin_DC-10

Possible to Use Multiple Water Programs?

Just something I was thinking about.

I'm running Real H2O V2 which I really like.  I also have Zinertek water and REX.

Is it possible to use water textures from one program, wave animation from another, and corals from a third program?

For example, water from Zinertek, water animation from Real H2O, and corals from REX.

Each one is very different from the other and I'm worried it might mess something up.

Anybody ever try something like this?  If you guys think there is a possibility that it will screw up my FS9 water, I'd rather not try it.

Anybody ever try something like this? If you guys think there is a possibility that it will screw up my FS9 water, I'd rather not try it.

Yes, I have played around with REX and Zinertek – Ultimate Water Advanced and various freeware ones as well. The trick is to set up a dummy FS2004 folder and install into that. This way you will know exactly which textures would be overwritten and can backup accordingly. By doing the installations into dummy folders, you can mix and match water textures to your heart's content.

If in doubt, you could backup your entire texture folder (of your original FS2004 installation), just for safe keeping.

It works!  This is great.  I'm using water animation and color from Real H2O V2, and corals from REX.  Best of all, with the wave animation I selected, the pulsating is not noticeable.

Just one more question that I hope somebody has the answer to...  Anybody know the name of the file for the 'water env. reflection"?

I want to use the env reflection from Zinertek, but, like Real H2O, they install automatically with the water.  I change water color in RH2O often, so it will always inject its env reflection.  I want to keep the Zinertek env reflection file separate and just place it into the Texture folder after changing water color in RH2O.

REX gives you the option to install this separately but I don't like REX reflections.

Any help greatly appreciated.

post-280782-0-64063600-1388138224.jpg

post-280782-0-98737800-1388138234.jpg

The water reflections are controlled by the files in the Scenery\World\texture folder with names like Env_dawn.bmp and Env_dusk.bmp etc. there should be about 11 of them. You might also backup and try changing the file OceanHeightField.bmp in your main Texture folder.

The water reflections are controlled by the files in the Scenery\World\texture folder with names like Env_dawn.bmp and Env_dusk.bmp etc. there should be about 11 of them. You might also backup and try changing the file OceanHeightField.bmp in your main Texture folder.

That's super.  I'll check it out. 

I tried sending the REX reflection files only into a dummy folder.  Everything went through smoothly with REX, but the dummy folder was empty when I checked afterwards.

Thanks again for your help.

Nice looking water!

Thanks.  Still experimenting but getting closer and closer to what I'm looking for.