Sign in to follow this  
LAdamson

The "Rails"......

Picked this up today, from my Van's RV builders forum. First test flight of an RV8. The RV8 is a two seat tandum semi-aerobatic, high performance aircraft.

"Today 11:34 UTC I got airborne after 1 year and 2 month of building. The first flight took 20 minutes over the airfield and was smooth and without any stress moments. It flies like on rails..."

Disclosure: No bribes, and I don't know the person... :smile:

Picked this up today, from my Van's RV builders forum. First test flight of an RV8. The RV8 is a two seat tandum semi-aerobatic, high performance aircraft.

"Today 11:34 UTC I got airborne after 1 year and 2 month of building. The first flight took 20 minutes over the airfield and was smooth and without any stress moments. It flies like on rails..."

Disclosure: No bribes, and I don't know the person... :smile:

Some simmers seem think that aircraft bounce all over the place all the time even in calm weather and require constant input......  They don't

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

Some simmers seem think that aircraft bounce all over the place all the time even in calm weather and require constant input...... ;They don't

That's a point I've tried to make for a long time now. Even in turbulence, it's not us pilots making all the moves on the yoke or stick to remain in control. It's just the control surfaces on the airplane being moved by the airflow over the surfaces.......which in turn moves the yoke/stick, with our hand on it. We just ride it out.

Of course, their can be the wing drop, which we pick up with aileron. Never the less, we're not making all of these subtle movements in an forced effort to remain airborne.

I see statements such as more alive, livelier, more demanding, and a challange. It really shouldn't be. A trimmed, rigged airplane in smooth air..........is rather a dull experience. You don't do much of anything. And turbulence, to a degree, is just what I said. Past that point, it's sometimes a case of "why am I flying in this crap, anyway?"

On a side note I would LOVE to build a RV someday or even buy a flying one.  I have seen some good deals or RV-6's 

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

X-Plane 10 is actually my on-rails sim right now !

I am , again / back, mostly using FSX these days, waiting for XPX 10.30 ( but a bit ( not to say a LOT... ) disappointed with Ben's answers (*)... I have to confess... :-/

I'd say that right now I place XPX and P3Dv2 exactly on the same shelve... The first that will show me a positive sign of moving in the right direction will get my attention, again...

I only start XPX mostly to fly the NEO A320 and the An-24, or for a small circuit around an airport with bad weather in one of my GAs ( payware or freeware), but my true joy with this sim is once again frozen, waiting for what will come next... I still - try - to keep some hope on 10.30 regarding flight dynamics improvements...

Back in FSX, most of the time, and ASN pumping the weather in the gorgeous way it does, guys, my aircraft bounce when they should bounce if the RW scenario was matched, and WHOW!, they now do it in a way that, we still do not have in X-plane 10, specially when it comes to up / down drafts!  In calm air, OTOH, they fly, as usual, and correctly, pretty much "on-rails"...

As I have long been saying, most of the on-rails sensation of FSX has ** ONLY ** to do with the way that sim models turbulence, shear, etc...

When a good weather generator / injector program is used, together with a good aircraft model, forget about that on-rails sensation, specially if you place youreself where you shouldn't in RL...

XPX allows exactly for the same, unfortunatelly we still do not have a good weather generator / injector for it :-/  This is a serious limitation that people coming from fs9 or fsx will find too. Even the handy NOAA weather injector plugin no longer works after 10.25 :-(, and even when it did, there were those awful sudden wind shifts and cloud layer appear / disappear situations which completely spoil an otherwise nice representation of some cloud types we now have with Sky Maxx Pro...

(*) I couldn't care less about the way they intend to model snow flocks and I would advise them to take as example, not necessarily FPS games but, for instance and again a Combat flight simulator like IL2 Sturmovik BOS... and, btw, also take some time to find good clues on how to model prop effects ... The same applies to the way X-Plane 10 will, apparently, continue to model AI aircraft. I couldn't care less about the fact that they use the "real" XPX FDE for the AI aircraft, but I'd rather not have the FPS impact I have on my system, for the ridiculous taxiway and rw encounters I have, and have long made me shutt it completely OFF.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

bit ( not to say a LOT... ) disappointed with Ben's answers (*)... I have to confess... :-/

Ben's interview and answers were based on questions asked.

By now must of us already know LR's position when it comes to disclosing XP's beta road map, so lets wait and see what's in the bag when 10.30 is out.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Ben's interview and answers were based on questions asked.

By now must of us already know LR's position when it comes to disclosing XP's beta road map, so lets wait and see what's in the bag when 10.30 is out.

I agree.

In the meanwhile, I'm enjoying som longer flights in the NEO....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I'm enjoying som longer flights in the NEO...

I'm having a blast with the C90B and the C337H. I just replaced my 560ti with a new 670 (2 gig ram) and now I can fly with HDR on with no FPS hit at a steady and locked 30fps and that's with 3d shadows on aircraft.

Tried P3d with a 1 month subscription and it took me more time going through the installation that the time it lasted on my HD.

For me, XP10 keeps getting better and better and I'm sure that 10.30 will be even better.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Yes, X-Plane FM can be further improved, but there are plenty of good 3rd party aircrafts for X-Plane that are nice and stable to fly. Even more stable than FSX helicopters. :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Yes, X-Plane FM can be further improved, but there are plenty of good 3rd party aircrafts for X-Plane that are nice and stable to fly. Even more stable than FSX helicopters. :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:

And not only 3rd party aircrafts, but also some default ones.

Experiment:

1. Choose e.g. the ASK 21, Piaggio (haven't tried more at the moment).
  2. Set the winds, turbulence, wind gust increase (and to be very safe, also the thermal climb rate to zero).
  3. Start with one of the aircrafts, climb to a certain altitude, level them out.
  4. Don't you dare to touch the controls!!
  5. What happens?
  6. Nothing. Err ... not totally correct :P. They don't bounce around, but fly very smooth and like on rails ... as they should.
  7. Now increase the winds to a certain value, but leave the turbulence at zero.
  8. What happens?
  9. Nothing. Err ... not totally correct :P. They don't bounce around, but fly very smooth and like on rails ... as they should.
  10. Now increase the turbulence a little bit.
  11. What happens?
  12. This time they bounce around a little bit ... as they should, but still fly straight ahead ... as they should.

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...