Sign in to follow this  
FlyBaby

Autogen as far as the eye can see?

I have heard others say that they have autogen as far as the eye can see and I have seen some videos where this seems to be the case.

However on my machine, I can see that the autogen does not place far from my aircraft. My detail radius setting also has no effect on the autogen I see. Setting it far left or far right makes no difference.

I am using FTX Gobal and my scenery settings are all to the far right at the highest level.

I am I missing anything?

I have i5 2500k @4Ghz, 670 4GB, 8GB RAM, 256 SSD.

I have heard others say that they have autogen as far as the eye can see and I have seen some videos where this seems to be the case.

However on my machine, I can see that the autogen does not place far from my aircraft. My detail radius setting also has no effect on the autogen I see. Setting it far left or far right makes no difference.

I am using FTX Gobal and my scenery settings are all to the far right at the highest level.

I am I missing anything?

Well, I don't know how far "does not place far from my aircraft" exactly is, but you can indeed see the edge of the 'autogen cone' as soon as you get above some 500 feet AGL. Imho it IS better than it was in FSX because at least the autogen within that large circle around your aircraft shows steady autogen and no popup but there IS and end to the autogen. In area's with mountains or when visibility is low this isn't noticable but when the terrain is rather flat you DO see where the autogen ends. And it even POPS UP beyond that edge when you fly on. Again, imho it is an improvement, but it isn't as far as the eye can see and it isn't 'popless'.

Do you have a link to one of those video's which seem to show autogen as far as the eye can see?

P.S. Afaik there is no setting (in the sim nor in the cfg) that enables you to change the size of the autogen circle: it's the same in every situation. The LOD radius only has an effect on ground textures and the autogen settings only control density.

Thanks for your reply...this vid looks like a good example, but the altitude is low.

this vid looks like a good example, but the altitude is low

Well, it is a very good example of how one can be fooled into thinking there is autogen as far as the eye can see. :P

First of all the pilot is flying low and at low altitudes you do indeed get the impression there is autogen as far as the eye can see.

Secondly he has (almost) no autogen (buildings) enabled: what you see are 3D objects and they always  are there looooong before the autogen shows up. Rio de Janeiro happens to be one of the locations which has a lot of extra 3D objects.

Third: the area has mountains, hiding your sight on some area's, so even if there would be autogen here, which there almost isn't, you wouldn't be able to see the edge of the cone too well.

To see the difference between 3D objects and autogen you should take of from Kennedy Int. New York and fly towards Manhattan. Already immediately after take off you will see the skyline in the far away distance (which looks great btw): those are all 3D buildings. But when you fly higher you will clearly see the cone of autogen and that one doesn't come close to Manhatten yet. Fly towards Manhattan at 1500 feet and you will see blocks of autogen pop up and the autogen  near Manhatten only shows up when you are getting pretty close already.

The best thing one can do to avoid seeing the end of the autogen and the popup is to fly below 500 feet AGL all the time.

Like you said Jeroen: It is much better then FSX but not perfect yet.

I hope, however, that LM can simply enlarge(increase the "cone" once the next generation of GPU has the power to handle it and once SLI further improves things.

IXEG 737 Beta-Tester and First Officer

i7 6700K@4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Palit GTX 1080 GameRock Premium@2Ghz, Oculus Rift S, ButtKicker
X-Plane 11 latedt version on a Samsung M.2 SSD for speedy loading times