Sign in to follow this  
htuna

Upgraded to EVGA 660 GTX results in low FPS

I had a 460 GTX.. I'd average 20 to 30 FPS with most planes.. tolerable, I could fly.

Gave my son a 660 GTX with 2 Gig of Memory for Xmas.. but he doesn't have the CPU to make Battlefield 4 run ok, so he was bummed. I bought the card of him to make him feel better.

I know FSX is supposed to be CPU based, but I figured, hey, I might get a lil more FPS out of it. Instead it was the exact opposite. 3 to 4 FPS.. Just crap.

Tried deleting my FSX..cfg... Removing and reinstalling the drivers.. nothing worked.. Tried running a repair of the accelerator Pack.. nothing...

Finally gave up.. deleted FSX and all add ons and reinstalled FSX and Accelerator pack.. Still pretty crappy.. stock c 172.. getting 10 or less FPS.. don't know what else to try... Havent' reinstalled any addons yet..

Fired up Rise of Flight.. DCS.. Arma II... Total War Rome II.. and all scream, and look beautiful!.. So I know the card itself is ok...

I'm bummed.. I gave my 460 to my son. I don't want to turn around and tell him, he can't have that card (He had a 260 I gave him from before)..

If anyone has any other 'tricks' I can try, I'm all open suggestions if anyone has any. :(

First of all - what CPU do You have? It is possible that the Gpu is suffering from bottleneck.

Download any monitoring software (MSI Afterburner is easy to use) and check Gpu usage during simming.

I highly doubt that it is fault of GPU itself. Also do You use the same drivers as for previous GPU or You had to install newer ones?

Tbh - I have steady 30 FPS (locked) with multiple high res addons owning 660ti but the Gpu usage is always below 60% and CPU usage is 90% (i5 3570k OCD to 4,6)

Try this - enter nvidia control panel and set "prefer maximum performance". Kepplers have nasty energy saving features which for sure causes problems in fsx.

I was surprised that there was only one power input.. is that because it conserves energy? I think my CPU is a Phenom X4 3.4 Ghz (I'm not down cellar an on my laptop so will check later..

But if my CPU was ok with a 460.. wouldn't it still be ok with the 660? Both are EVGA...

I did remove the drivers and reinstalled..

If the card has some type power conservation setting, maybe that's a good explanation!.. I'll check next time I go down cellar (have to drive my son somewhere - too icy out to let him drive)...

Appreciate the suggestion!

Does your PSU have the power to support the 660? Did you have anything configured within Nvidia Nspector which should be reworked for a new card?

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

I had a 460 GTX.. I'd average 20 to 30 FPS with most planes.. tolerable, I could fly.

Gave my son a 660 GTX with 2 Gig of Memory for Xmas.. but he doesn't have the CPU to make Battlefield 4 run ok, so he was bummed. I bought the card of him to make him feel better.

Did you delete the shader cache located at:

C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders

Other than an imbalance between your GPU and CPU (which won't be easy to fix), that's probably the only thing left that you can do. FSX will recompile the shader source code expressly for the new video card.

Also you should add your system description to your AVSim profile, as it makes it easier for other users here to answer these types of questions.

Did you delete the shader cache located at:

C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders

This. When I installed my 760 I had the same problem until some research here in the forums led me to do exactly that.

Good luck!

I couldn't find the Shaders folder to delete after I did the uninstall.. but I just deleted it now to try again.. I don't have any settings in NVidia right now.. I'm 'starting' over...

I just tried the Maximum Performance thing, (thought/hoped that would be it.. but no)..

I think my PSU is strong enough.. again new games run awesome with it.. Rome II.. RoF.. Arma 

Thanks for the all the suggestions will keep trying (My son said I could take back the card I gave him, but I said no).. I just want the same performance I had before at the very leat..

Thanks for all the suggestions, hoping to find it at some point!.. Sorry about the 'double post'.. the site seemed to 'hang' the first time I tried to post, so I didn't think it posted..

First of all - You have a good Son :)

Second - th only thing which comes to my mind is the imbalance which was mentioned above. If You were using older drivers with 460 and newer with 660 it is possible that the newer drivers are more CPU dependent (yes, it happens often with new Nvidia drivers release....) - the thing which worked for me is limiting FPS in fsx to 30 and setting adaptive anti aliasing (1/2 refresh rate - I don't remember exact name of this option) in nvidia control panel. Also going DX10 made things smoother and better FPS wise but it requires pay ware fixer.

Well.. tried Kostas guide.. un-installing re-installing drivers multiple times.. with manual cleaning.. tried older drivers...

Disabled my sound card (another symptom was the sound was crappy - ordered a ASUS one from Newegg in the meantime).

And still 5 -6 FPS sitting on the airfield..

Took the 460 GTX out of my Son's computer (told him I'd give it back when I'm done figuring this out)..

Threw it in mine and with no tweaking at all... .FPS was in the twenties....

Sigh.. I guess I'll open a ticket with EVGA... They are a top notch company (why I spent the extra 40 bucks), so hopefully it will get resolved...

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "Monitors, Video Cards and Drivers". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

I had some issues with my new GTX 660 2G which is by asus.

Found out that i have to use an older driver posted on the asus website.

This is 305xxx instead of 334xxx or what where they are at nvidia now.

Further on I was used since years to run FSX with anisotropic filtering 

and this card cannot do it. It will crash the graphics when under heavy load.

So I went back to trilinear filtering. It works.

In fsx you must get the "graphics-pipeline" working running between cpu and 

gpu. I use the phenom II 4core @ 3.0 ghz. This means the cpu is much weaker than 

the graphics. In this case I think its best to set everything to maximum load for

the card in inspector. I use "set for maximum quality", 32 AA and 16 anisotrop.

Looks good and works well  in Orbx NA. Frames are between 22 and 28 (limited)

Good luck. 

PC: Ryzen 7 3700x AM4, 16 GB RAM, GTX 1060 6GB, Storage SSD 3TB, HDD 8TB, USB 8TB, 2 Screens, Win10-64

SIMs: FSX SE, P3d 3.4/4.5/6.1, Xplane11/12, MSFS, Aerofly 4

Found something else, please see my new topic "White screen at load"

PC: Ryzen 7 3700x AM4, 16 GB RAM, GTX 1060 6GB, Storage SSD 3TB, HDD 8TB, USB 8TB, 2 Screens, Win10-64

SIMs: FSX SE, P3d 3.4/4.5/6.1, Xplane11/12, MSFS, Aerofly 4