Sign in to follow this  
htuna

Upgraded to EVGA 660 GTX results in low FPS

Well.. tried Kostas guide.. un-installing re-installing drivers multiple times.. with manual cleaning.. tried older drivers...

Disabled my sound card (another symptom was the sound was crappy - ordered a ASUS one from Newegg in the meantime).

And still 5 -6 FPS sitting on the airfield..

Took the 460 GTX out of my Son's computer (told him I'd give it back when I'm done figuring this out)..

Threw it in mine and with no tweaking at all... .FPS was in the twenties....

Sigh.. I guess I'll open a ticket with EVGA... They are a top notch company (why I spent the extra 40 bucks), so hopefully it will get resolved...

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

Curious to hear if you figure this one out.

I've been considering an upgrade myself to a 660TI or GTX770 from the ATI HD5870 I have now.

However early last year I had the opportunity to test a 660TI from a friend and I had more of less the same experience you have. In stead of an improvement, I got worse frames (not that much though).

From Word Not Allowed's guide and NickN's bible, I understand FSX is very sensitive to the right balance between CPU and GPU. Hence if one of them is not capable of keeping up with the other, FSX will perform bad.

If this is true, there's no point upgrading only my graphicscard when I keep my first gen i7-920.

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

Hi,

I RMA'd the card because it stopped POSTING.. I think my MB was not letting it 'sit' well.. Nervous on whether I should try it or not when I get the replacement.

After doing Word Not Allowed's guide, my FSX was running better than ever for the Old Card GTX 460...

My cpu is a Phenom II X4 I think around 3.4 or something like that (on my laptop now, so can't check)..

I will let you know if I try with the replacement card, how I make out.

Curious to hear if you figure this one out.

I've been considering an upgrade myself to a 660TI or GTX770 from the ATI HD5870 I have now.

However early last year I had the opportunity to test a 660TI from a friend and I had more of less the same experience you have. In stead of an improvement, I got worse frames (not that much though).

From Word Not Allowed's guide and NickN's bible, I understand FSX is very sensitive to the right balance between CPU and GPU. Hence if one of them is not capable of keeping up with the other, FSX will perform bad.

If this is true, there's no point upgrading only my graphicscard when I keep my first gen i7-920.

660Ti works great for me. At least worked before I switched to DX10 and started to use 4xSGSSAA. Now I'm looking for cheap 780 ;) i7-920 will work with it good for sure. 

Just an update.. I received my RMA'd card today from EVGA and it works awesome and looks Gorgeous!, Must've just been a 'defective' card.. I'm really psyched after all that troubleshooting and stress! Thanks for all the attention in trying to resolve.. In the meantime, I learned a lot with regards to tweaking.

Thanks again.