Sign in to follow this  
Mephic

Rex 4 broke PMDG lights?

After long hours of testing I found the reason why taxi/landing lights on my NGX are dimmed - it is Rex 4 hd runway textures. What is funny - in Rex essentials + od everything is okay when I am using essentials rwy textures. So what is actually going on here? Is there any way to fix it? Rex 4 rwy looks better but I cannot see anything during taxiing.

Well - it seems that beam of lights on runway is dependent on runway textures (at least from what I have read). Whenever I am installing REX 3 texture - everything is fine. When I go REX 4 - PMDG lights are dimmed. So I am wondering what else can it be...

My guess is that REX has overwritten the light files, this happens as REX includes lighting textures for aircraft strobes. Repair your PMDG installations and it should be fine.

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

I already tried that and disabled REX 3 lights so It won't change them - no luck. On default PMDG lights: REX 3 fine REX 4 dimmed. I am completely lost.

Repair the installation of the aircraft with the installer and that should fix your problem.

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

I've had a similar problem before, years ago, and an overwrite, as t-bergman said above, must be what is happening.  Don't have Rex4 but did you allow it to make a backup? 

I don't remember with certainty but I think the file that gets overwritten, and screws things up is either called fx_1.bmp or fx_2.bmp, which are used in the fx files of many airplanes, likely including PMDG.  If you have a backup of FSX, you might want to copy these files back in and see if it helps.  Maybe ask in the PMDG forums if they make use of either of these 2 files in their landing light effect.

I'll bet if n4gix (fr Bill) sees this he could probably provide some insight into this too, because he knows about lights, so maybe he can confirm if what I've said above is a useful theory about why your lights are screwed up.

Lesson: Never let REX mess with your lights!!!!

*edit* maybe check the dates on fx_1 and fx_2 and see if they have been changed recently.  The created and modified date on my files is 26 July 2006, confirming that they are the original FSX.

Wow... That is not good. Isn't the dx10 stevefx fixer changing those files? Maybe it is the reason? I am currently on dx10 with fixer applied. TBH I am positive that this did not happen with Rex 3 which was changing the lights. Rex 4 is not changing them so my old lights from REX 3 should still be there.

But the two files You have mentioned.. According to Dx10 scenery fixer forum they are part of the package (at least from what I understand)

I am using the fixer, and my lights work fine. I just checked the files myself. Check the settings in the fixer, and make sure you have not turned something off

But, you said "What is funny - in Rex essentials + od everything is okay when I am using essentials rwy textures."

So not sure what you are doing here ?

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

The NGX lights are built into the model and cant be overwritten by any texture replacement programs halo.bmp or spotlight.bmp, its impossible.

Only a/c that use the old style landing or taxi lights can be affected by changing the textures.

The only thing I can think of is that the OP installed darker taxiway or runway textures which makes the NGX lights look dimmer due to them being darker.

• Upvote 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The NGX lights are built into the model and cant be overwritten by any texture replacement programs halo.bmp or spotlight.bmp, its impossible.

Only a/c that use the old style landing or taxi lights can be affected by changing the textures.

The only thing I can think of is that the OP installed darker taxiway or runway textures which makes the NGX lights look dimmer due to them being darker.

Your theory about the darker runway textures may be correct (and Mephic should check it out methinks), but I don't think it is impossible that it is the light files themselves, because even PMDG lights defined from within the model, might make use of one of the FSX standard .bmps in the effects/texture folder

@badfinger I am just asking because I try to search for solution.

Jim, King - thank You for suggestion I will post some screenshots with different rwy textures so You can tell me if it looks the same on Your pc. Will get back with them soon. Thank You!

Problem is FIXED. 

It seems that particular REX 4 runway textures are the culprit here. 

The darker ones makes the lights almost invisible. The brighter ones are fine. So it is REX 4 Direct and it is the reason. Still it has brighter textures sets so I am fine now. :) 

Just as an example - set 01 is good. Set 02 - lights dimmed. Set 03 - lights almost invisible. 

• Upvote 1

Impossible. Whatever you're encountering has nothing to do with REX.

Appears it is. I understand you defending your product, but you did jump the gun a bit. After all, Mephic is a customer, and you should have at least offered suggestions.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

@up nevermind. I adore this product anyway an I know I can always count on amazing Avsim community. Will perform further testing today with default planes.