Sign in to follow this  
bosflo

couldn't find this anywhere so i came here

hello all, long time fsx user with lots of add ons (like all of you) and I am thinking of prepard v2. My current computer doesn't have directx 11 so I can't run it but my husband has a newer laptop that does have directx 11 so I am anxious to download it to his computer to "try" it out. My question is that if I download prepar3d v2 and it runs fine on his computer, do I need to buy it again when I buy a new computer for myself? or is it your download forever.

While I have you, can you explain just what prepa3d does? I mean is it a new simulator or is it an addon for fsx. Do I need to unistall fsx to use it and also why do they say for developers and students. I am just your run of the mill gamer and have no desire to develop and I wish I was a student again but I am not. The pricing is confusing also.

sorry for all the questions but all this talk about prepar3d came out of nowhere for me and now everyone is talking about it. Have to get used to spelling it out too, for that fsx is easier :)

thanks

P3D v2 is a NEW flight simulator and NOT an add-on to FSX.

You can uninstall P3D v2 and install it on a different PC after this. That's my knowledge.

You also can run FSX and P3D on a side-by-side installation as many users do.

You should read the EULA of LM for P3D v2 and make your decision what fits for you.

Spirit

My question is that if I download prepar3d v2 and it runs fine on his computer, do I need to buy it again when I buy a new computer for myself? or is it your download forever.

You can install the downloaded version as often as you want to on any computer BUT you may only have it installed on one computer at the time. So if you want to install it on your new computer, you will first have to completely uninstall if from the laptop. That uninstall is registered with the LM servers and that will enable you to install it on the other PC. If you try to install it on the new PC without uninstalling it from the laptop, you will get an error when you try to activate P3D 2.0!

So no, you will not have to buy it again but you can only install and use P3D 2.0 on one computer.

While I have you, can you explain just what prepa3d does? I mean is it a new simulator or is it an addon for fsx.

Prepar3d 2.0 is (simply put) an updated version of FSX and a completely seperate program. (I certainly wouldn't call it "a NEW flight simulator"!!!). The main part of the update is that it makes use of DX11 and hence makes a LOT more use of the GPU (the graphics card) while FSX mainly used the CPU (the processor). Besides this quite a few bugs or oddities have been fixed but, as it almost logical with any 'new' release, there are quite a few new bugs also. ^_^

Because this is not a new sim but an 'updated' version of FSX, you can, in theory, use most of the FSX addons in P3D 2.0, which is a huge bonus, however, P3D 2.0 turns out to be more different from FSX than people (including developers) presumed and at this moment a lot of addons are not completely compatible and need workarounds to get them (partially) working. The expectation is that within a year most of the (well known) addons will be made completely compatible though.

Do I need to unistall fsx to use it

No, it's a completely seperate program and you can have both installed at the same time.

why do they say for developers and students. I am just your run of the mill gamer and have no desire to develop and I wish I was a student again but I am not

In that case you would have to buy the Professional license which is for (amongst others) simulation. However, it is prohibited to talk about this on the forum so if you really want to know more about this PM me (or whomever you want to PM because you might like other answers more than mine in this regard LOL )

Unless the laptop has great graphics capabilities it won't run it.  I have an i5 Vaio (oldish equiv to current i3) with dedicated AMD graphics which can run FSX but it got no more than 5 fps when I tried P3DV2.

Thanks guys for your responses. I bought an asusGGG750JX-DB71 so I hope it can run that. My god, if that doesn't run it then I don't know what to buy :)

My god, if that doesn't run it then I don't know what to buy :)

A desktop computer. ^_^ But seriously, that looks like a powerful laptop. Really curious to see how well P3D runs on it because it's fast and can play new games easily at high settings but P3D, just like FSX, isn't your regular game!

I wouldn't waste the money on the type of laptop firepower you need to run P3D.
Could build a desktop for half the price.

Remember a desktop GPU still outperforms a mobile GPU. 

P3D is very hardware demanding, if you actually wanna enjoy its eye candy to full potential.

My buddy is running P3DV2 on his Sager which has SLI 780ms and an i7 3.4ghz.

The single mode 780m just isn't cutting it for him trying to run the same settings as I, maybe if LM ever makes it SLI compatible, he can keep up.

Meanwhile his superbrick 18inch Sager was $2700 compared to my craigslist built gaming tower for $800.

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

uh oh! this sounds like the fsx hardware problem all over again. Remember when no one had a computer that could run fsx at high detail and all the complaints?

I hope you aren't saying that my new computer won't let me install all my addons and then some. I should just use the new computer to reinstall fsx and let it scream. Is it worth buying prepar3d if I can't add anything to it. Does prepar3d standard airport scenery look like fsx add on or do we need to enhance them all?

thanks,

cj

I should just use the new computer to reinstall fsx and let it scream. Is it worth buying prepar3d if I can't add anything to it. Does prepar3d standard airport scenery look like fsx add on or do we need to enhance them all?

If that laptop can run FSX it certainly can run P3D (with similar settings). And it may run even better.

In theory you can add everything to P3D 2.0 but it turns out P3D 2.0 is a bit different then some people expected (due to DX11) so not everything is yet compatible. This may take some time and some addons may not become completely compatible at all. But many new ones will and I expect P3D-only addons to appear too.

P3D standard scenery is the same as FSX standard scenery so an airport that looks bad in FSX will also look bad in P3D: they didn't do anything with the scenery in that regard.

well now, this is getting interesting...

So if prepar3d doesn't add any new scenery, addon airports and some to most fsx addons don't work yet then why is everyone jumping over to prepar3d? and why do you need a new (expensive) computer to run it?

Last question now I promise (my new computer comes today) If you have all the addons in the world and fsx is working fine then why leave it? I'm sure that prepar3d is very nice but what does it offer that makes it the future simulator?

thanks so much for your help!

cj

You don't really need a new expensive computer to run it. You might need a new GPU in order to get more out if it but in your case (laptop) adding a new GPU isn't possible.

P3D 2.0 now works with DX11 which means quite a few new things are possible when it comes to graphics, like real time shadows for everything (terrain, VC, trees, buildings, etc.). It also has a new autogen system which prevents autogen from popping up nearby. It also makes a lot more use of the GPU which has been very important in modern games but never in FSX: in P3D 2.0 the GPU is important and one of the reasons performance can be a lot better, and this will only get better with new GPU's. Where FSX reached the end of what was possible with new hardware, P3D 2.0 has a bright future. Overal performance is specially a lot smoother and the upcoming 2.05 patch may make things even smoother because they recently discovered a cause of possible stutters. You also have volumectrig fog ('real' fog instead of flat sprites) and the clouds also have a more 3D feeling to them. Furthermore various little bugs have been fixed and you can take care of various things from within the sim instead of having to edit the cfg (like the resolution of textures).

In short: while FSX is great as it is, it has certain limitations and specially not a bright future: LM has more possibilities and a future. It only will take some time before FSX addons can (all) be used in LM. However, P3D 2.0 specific addons have already been released.

I am sure others can add some more interesting things. ^_^ I like P3D mainly for the smoother performance, the new light/shadow system and the improved autogen.

However, if you like FSX as it is and it runs perfectly fine with all your favorite addons, then you might as well stick with it! ^_^ You can also install both and see how P3D will evolve. If you don't like or trust it within two months, you can get a (one time) refund.

Ptepar3d v2.0 is basically ESP/FSX with vastly improved graphics performance but is still fundam3entally ESP/FSX retaining many of the faults and flaws of ESP/FSX.

There is also a fair bit of new things possible in P3D v2 that was impossible or very very hard to do in FSX.

It will remain to be seen if this will be used to the fullest by the developers, but if P3D 2 catches on as a general purpose sim, who knows what future will bring.

There is also a fair bit of new things possible in P3D v2 that was impossible or very very hard to do in FSX.

That is true, but at present they are only possibilities for the future and depend on whether developers take them up and enough of us are prepared to pay for them.

It depend what is important for you. If backward compatibility is essential, then better wait until you get a clear picture of what will be fully supported in Prepar3d. If performance is important, then make the jump. For me, i just run the two sim in parallel for a while keeping Prepar3d for IFR with low ground details and a limited hangar for now and fsx for VFR low and slow flight.

I run in surround and I dont observe a huge improvement in fps and i cannot push the sliders to the right with my 3 years old hardware (2xGTX580 3gb) so it will not be a complete switch for me for now. But I'm not investing anymore in fsx add-on and I will gradually transfer to Prepar3d as new products emerge.

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...