Sign in to follow this  
sJames

Simple Vibration force effect addon for fsx

Having had a gamepad with only vibration effects, I found that fsx doesnt allow you to set the force feedback levels.
The driver that came along with the gamepad also didnt support any level setting.

This was unplayable as it kept vibrating at max rate all the time.

I have created a somconnect addon that creates the vibration effect based on the following :
(developed for Airbus A321 , should also do well with Boeing's )

{Not sure fsx  looks into these states for ff calculation }

1. Indicated airspeed
2. Engine rpm
3. Acceleration around 3 axes
4. GroundSpeed ( if on ground )

Other factors with vibration
1. Flaps increment decrement ( step wise )
2. Spoiler toggle ( fully extended/fully retracted )
3. Landing gear up/down
4. Stalling
5. Overspeed
6. Landing force

Those who only have vibration effects in their gamepads, do try it out..

How to install ?

1.   As usual with all addons, download the dll to a path and if on Vista or above  and modify dll.xml at

C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\  as follows:

{For XP, this file is in a different folder, need to figure it out.}

Add the following section towards the end of the dll.xml just before  </SimBase.Document>

<Launch.Addon>
    <Disabled>False</Disabled>
    <ManualLoad>True</ManualLoad>
    <Name>ForceEffects.dll</Name>
    <Path>D:\Path\ForceEffects.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>

2.  This will ask permission to load the dll when you start fsx. Click 'ok' or 'yes' wherever needed.

3.   Also, remember to DISABLE  forcefeedback from fsx settings and do not connect more than one ff enabled controllers

while trying this out.

Dll information on AVSIM Library:

UploadID:         317632
Name:        ForceEffects
Size:        8 kb
MD5 sum:        aa5cf40064a859269c6a8f2142bb97f8

Will this work on an Xbox360 gamepad?

It should ideally work on any gamepad with force feedback with the right drivers installed.

Xbox gamepad driver may provide settings to tweak force levels :  which along with the default fsx force feedback effects *maybe* good enough.

It should ideally work on any gamepad with force feedback with the right drivers installed.

Xbox gamepad driver may provide settings to tweak force levels :  which along with the default fsx force feedback effects *maybe* good enough.

Didn't work.

Microsoft documentation states that DirectInput ( which I used ) will *not* support vibration effects on XBOX 360 controller

(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ee417014%28v=vs.85%29.aspx)

Which probably also means fsx also wont support vibration on xbox controller .

Resolution is to use XInput API over directinput API.  Will check that out in some time...

Microsoft documentation states that DirectInput ( which I used ) will *not* support vibration effects on XBOX 360 controller

(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ee417014%28v=vs.85%29.aspx)

Which probably also means fsx also wont support vibration on xbox controller .

Resolution is to use XInput API over directinput API.  Will check that out in some time...

The Xbox360 controller does vibrate under FSX. It only detects crashes though :( I was hoping for rumbles, gear movements, etc.

u need the xbox360 emulator

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

sJames,

Thanks for this addon, it helped me to compensate the lack of FFB in P3D v2 (now you know it works on P3D2) because I'm currently using an Xbox 360 Controller, and as stated by ohsirus it only vibrates on crashes.

As a suggestion, could be possible to add some "idle" vibration? (ex. for those situations when the airplane is ready to taxi or idling on the ground, not moving or anything else, just engines and all systems working, or already in flight but descending with idled engines). If there's something I can help, I know some programming language (basically C#) but I don't think it could be useful for FSX and P3D.

Thanks again for your time and your addon man... good work!

I have some free time again :)

Had thought of completing this with fully configurable settings for Xbox 360 / Xbox one controller, and utilizing the dual rumble.

And adding more features.

Is there interest for this ?

• Upvote 1

Hello there sJames.

I only found your post last night. You've done a marvelous job there.

Are you still posting here and interested in a small update?

After flying around for a little while in a couple of aircraft I found the constant engine vibration numbs the hands.

If your still up for it, would it be possible to reduce the engine vibrations to only kick in at stall speeds, idling, over revving and vne? That way it would be easier to pick up other effects such as high winds, turbulence, flaps, gear down etc.

Excellent work

Thank you.

I have some free time again :)

Had thought of completing this with fully configurable settings for Xbox 360 / Xbox one controller, and utilizing the dual rumble.

And adding more features.

Is there interest for this ?

Ok, I just saw you've updated your post... I never received a notification. Yep, still intrested :D