Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

What were your longest / long haul flights in X-Plane 10?

With the FF 777, the SGS 748, Peter's A380, and even the FF 757, some "longer" routes can be flown in X-Plane 10.

I wonder what were your longest flights, between which airports, using what aircraft, using or not live ATC, planned with? were...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

LHR - LAX A380, no time compression because it does'nt work.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk 2

LHR - LAX A380, no time compression because it does'nt work.

Whow!  How many hours? What weather were you using ( NOAA? ) Ralf?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Well, it wasn't XP10, but my longest flight was YSSY-EGLL in FS9 in the PSS 777.  No time compression.  Stayed awake for the entire trip.  

A week later, I made the return trip.  It was actually "fun" doing both trips.  Did them on VATSIM and made a few friends along the way.

Montenegro (LYPG) to Fiji (NFFN).  FF 777.

9000 miles, 20+ hours. 

This is part of my "fly to every country by approximate order of population size" project.

Due to runway length at Montenegro, I had to throw some passengers off the plane.

Started flight at 21:00hrs UTC.  Faced 90 knot headwinds at start.  Went to bed, and awoke somewhere over siberia at 07:00 UTC with 45knot tail wind.  Set the Pause T/D button, and then drove to work.  Returned from work at 17:00 UTC and landed the plane.

I could really do with finding some winds aloft charts so I can plan my legs better.

Well, it wasn't XP10, but my longest flight was YSSY-EGLL in FS9 in the PSS 777.  No time compression.  Stayed awake for the entire trip.  

A week later, I made the return trip.  It was actually "fun" doing both trips.  Did them on VATSIM and made a few friends along the way.

Xiiii!  I loved that 777!!!!  Still have the Manual ;-)

Will LES consider, say, an MD-80, Bae-146, Bae ATP, C130, P-3 Orion ???? Any of these would be great to have!!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Whow! How many hours? What weather were you using ( NOAA? ) Ralf?

Checked my log book, 10.9 hours, NOAA not used.

OT: One of my best flights was PS1 from FRA to IAD real time with a good friend. Crew catering from the microwave oven. Chicken or pasta?

Xiiii!  I loved that 777!!!!  Still have the Manual ;-)

Will LES consider, say, an MD-80, Bae-146, Bae ATP, C130, P-3 Orion ???? Any of these would be great to have!!!

That 777 is definitely in my top 5 add ons.  I have fond memories of PSS.  Their 744 was one of my first add ons for FS2000.  

All the aircraft you mentioned were tentatively considered, but not easy to get information for.  Especially the BAe 146.  We have a very firm roadmap of aircraft planned out for the next couple of years.  Going to be fun.

In X-Plane, the longest flight I did, I think, was actually in the  a Cessna 152 when I flew from Western Germany to Poland using photo scenery, OSM and Mesh v2. No autopilot, and using only a VFR chart, it was also one of the most involved and scenic flights I did. I can't remember exactly how long it took, but it was around 4 hours. That was my absolute limit and I don't think I could or would want to do anything longer.

After sitting on real long-haul flights, e.g. from London to Tokyo, around 13 hours, and even 3.5 hour short-haul flights from from Warsaw to Spain, I don't know how people could actually sit in front of their computers for that long. I'd go insane :D. Leaving it on autopilot all night is pointless and you might as well fast forward the entire flight from TOC to beginning of the TOD.

Tony

It wasn't hard.  I got myself a couple of good books and paid attention to the important parts of the flight (When ATC were calling).  Other than that, I managed to start and finish 2 good books during both flights.

Leadership by Rudy Guiliani and Still Me by Christopher Reeve.

If I sat there doing nothing but flying, I would definitely go nuts.  

It wasn't hard.  I got myself a couple of good books and paid attention to the important parts of the flight (When ATC were calling).

Ah well that's different, you were doing something else whilst all this was happening, and the VATSIM part would have been interesting. In my case, if I walked away from the computer  to make a cup of tea and came back, the plane would drift of course, or some weather or wind would change, etc. Pausing to going to the loo or make a drink was important here. But this kept it interesting for the most part, but don't think I'd do it again for so long or without autopilot.

I sometimes read the PMDG forums, and people simply leave long hauls unattended all night just to rake up the numbers for their virtual airline. I believe most virtual airlines don't allow time compression or pausing, which is why I got bored of them. I was once a member of UK Aero, which mainly used Airbuses and Boeings. I generally restricted my flights to 2 hours to keep it interesting, but noticed others would pick the longest flight possible, e.g. San Francisco to London and then simply leave the computer unattended on autopilot for the entire trip

I am about to try a long haul with the 777. Have done exactly the same flight in the PMDG 777 in FSX, but I used time compressikn :-)

I used FSBUILD for the route: Maputo (FQMA)  - Lisboa (LPPT) - not really a long long haul :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

FF777 - Delta Airlines 777-200LR from SYD to LAX in 14 hours.  Flew it real time and got my FMC legs from a realworld flight plan pulled from flightaware.com

I went to bed during most of the cruise phase.

What I love about XP10 is that you actually have to maneuver around major storms. I learned this recreating a 777 flight form MIA to GRU.  The Caribbean region had lots of storms that night, so my airplane got knocked out of the sky for flying through a thunderstorm.

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

About 8 hours, from Phuket to Adelaide, as part of my world tour:

http://fly-xplane.blogspot.de/2013/07/6-phuket-vtsp-to-adelaide-ypad.html

I did this flight during a night, so I was sleeping 3 hours inbetween, then got up and landed. It was a bit exhausting, and after that flight, I did not continue the world tour so far ... :(

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

About 8 hours, from Phuket to Adelaide, as part of my world tour:

Whow! Was that a 190 LR?  8 hrs? Whow!

Main Simulation Rig: