Sign in to follow this  
simmerhead

P3Dv2 + ORBX FTX Global Vector, first impressions?

Anyone tried out FTX Global Vector in P3Dv2 yet?

I'm really conerned about performance in combination with FTX Global and high resolution mesh.

Are roads customizable? From the promo video I see that certain downtown areas look terrible because roads have killed the autogen. 

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

From the promo video I see that certain downtown areas look terrible because roads have killed the autogen.

My biggest fear too. Plus the impact it has on VAS in P3D 2.0.  Would be great if someone could post some pictures from Norway, specially around small villages. And tell us how much Vector uses of the VAS! The new beta NSX III freeware for Norway also had roads based on similar data as Vector and even small villages looked totally odd due to way too many roads running through them, pushing all the houses out of the city. Similar to the OpenVFR addons I've seen. And from what I've read you can not customize anything. They decided to keep it simple. Which is okay if things are perfect but it's getting problematic if things are not perfect.

I am a little bit sceptic about Vector anyway... there are of course a few posts already on the Orbx forum reporting errors like sunken rives and lakes, weird bridges (even in well known locations), missing islands, etc. This addon covers the ENTIRE globe so it may take AGES to resolve and fix ALL errors. I suppose they tried to test things as much as possible but if the Golden Gate Bridge already has errors, you begin to wonder what else may be wrong...

I do expect quite a few errors in the product. ORBX has been honest about FTX Global sceneries being a work in progress. The product is hard to make better than the source data and simulator they are used in.

That said, this products begs for custom configuration options.

I'm on the fence for now, but since the stock FSX and P3D vector data is extremely innacurate, I am very tempted to go for it, if performance is acceptable.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I am a little bit sceptic about Vector anyway... there are of course a few posts already on the Orbx forum reporting errors like sunken rives and lakes, weird bridges (even in well known locations), missing islands, etc. This addon covers the ENTIRE globe so it may take AGES to resolve and fix ALL errors. I suppose they tried to test things as much as possible but if the Golden Gate Bridge already has errors, you begin to wonder what else may be wrong...

They take pretty all the data from OpenStreetMap.

http://www.openstreetmap.org

Openstreetmap is only "pretty good" in a couple of area`s, generally Europe is pretty good, with UK, Holland, Germany, Switzerland being really good.

(fixing all errors is/equals getting all data correct in OSM, which you can actually do yourself)

Which is also a reason i really have little respect for their pricing point.

1st they take freely donated data and sell it for top dollar (45 Euro), just for recompiling the data.

(This package should be free just because of this)

2nd lots of area`s in the world dont have any data in OSM which doesnt make it logical to ask any money for it. (there is nothing to convert)

3rd they dont mention/attempt making their recompiler running every month or so, which would generate a motivation for simmers to update/improve the OSM data, certainly for rural/natural area`s that usually get done last because nobody lives there. (in other words being able to indirectly improve the sim-looks by taking matters in your own hands, as a user.)

whats going on guys,

I got vector last night and I'm really loving it. I got to try different areas but flying around Montana in the twin otter ext. im getting double the frames then I was getting. I was getting ussuly around 30 to 40 frames now with vector installed im getting like 80 to 100 frames with slides 1 notch over half way

So far I I don't have 1 complant about vector, so far its great, I hope you guys have the same results as I do.

Orbx, great job guys

Larry

guess they take pretty all the data from OpenStreetMap.

They'd be fools if they did - hydrology in OSM has been a serious weak point in North America. While Europe is very well covered in OSM across the board, North America has been a pretty weak... HUGE lakes missing, jagged coastlines, etc. etc. .. this is one of the reasons why X-Plane 10 sat on my shelf for years - subpar OSM-based scenery in the United States and Canada.  It's gotten better over the years, but OSM is the "wiki" of maps, entirely dependent on user submissions to grow and expand.

I'll be watching the Vector conversations closely to see how things work out.

They use more then OSM data.

And no, it shouldn't be free because they do use it. XP10 uses OSM data too. Should it be free?

Go and look in the Orbx forum. Lots of p3d specific problems. Not ready yet and cities look awful !

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Would be great if someone could post some pictures from Norway, specially around small villages.

If you have a specific city, I'll be happy to do a flight around there.

Rob

If you have a specific city, I'll be happy to do a flight around there.

Rob

ENBM (Bomoen) would be nice! When you take off towards the lake you will fly over the city (well, depending on the landclass used of course). With the latest new freeware LC that city looked awful due to way too many roads and so I would like to see a picture from that one with Vector! TIA!

Ill def watch from the sideline before I install anything else FTXG wise.

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

J van E

Here are some shots around ENBM with Global base and Vector.

Just basic 'V' shots.

Have fun, be happy... :P

BR

fmN1y.jpg

AGHSc.jpg

l4AtY.jpg

UpuB4.jpg

Mye.jpg

xenG2.jpg

Blackrat

J van E

Here are some shots around ENBM with Global base and Vector.

Just basic 'V' shots.

Have fun, be happy... :P

Wow, that's a lot of screenshots! Thanks! Much appreciated!

It doesn't look as bad as the freeware I've seen but still... a bit too much roads. Or maybe I should say that a lot of them are way too large/wide. Like in the 4th screenshots: you see three roads side by side. At least one of them (probably even two) probably is a very small sideroad (or whatever you call that) which you should hardly see out of the air. The encasements are another problem because they make every road look huge. Every road looks like a high way. If you could remove those encasements, that would make things look a lot better already. Only highways should have them.

Anyway, this gives me a good idea of how things look. And since UTX for P3D 2.0 has been announced, I will probably first wait for more information about that one before I reconsider getting Vector.

How is your VAS btw after adding Vector?

uninstalled Vector - mine was a bad experience - install now sits in a folder -  waiting to see what happens.

Maybe there will be updates - who knows.

Just did not look right

Denis B

BTW JV posted on the Orbx forum that there will not be some sort of interface to tweak the settings of Vector. It's all or nothing and this will not be changed.