Sign in to follow this  
simmerhead

P3Dv2 + ORBX FTX Global Vector, first impressions?

This is becoming to be..buy this and buy that, which they could have released all these features on that first version. I have FTX Global which i though will be the textures that will replace all of the FSX textures to make my sim more realistic. Now, you got this FTX Vector which they could have included that with the FTX Global and not to mention the new land class that is suppose to come out with bunch of regions. By the time you get sucked on buying these to get "more enhancement" on your existing FTX global textures, you will be spending about 500 bucks.

Is like Apple, here is first gen Ipad, now we have Ipad with retina display and now Ipad Air etc....you will end up buying a version which is a small step from the previous version.

Just my two cents...........

Kin M.

(Klax)

After their CEO locked the thread about the mesh clarification, practically calling everyone with criticism about Vector and FS Global a cry-baby, i'm not sure if i still want to invest more money in that company.

What I don't get is why the roads in the Iceland demo looked ok?
I guess that would be because Iceland has all the FTX addons running, including the OpenLC which will be tailor made to fit with the vector.

Speaking of landclass, has any1 paired the FTX Vector with a third party landclass with success in P3DV2? Improved landclass should be the last missing peace of the puzzle for P3DV2 scenery now that Global and Vector (however unfinished it might be) is out.

As I've said in the Orbx forum, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to have polygon data (the mesh) and texture data (what gets place over the polygon surfaces) be developed in an unrelated fashion (same with vector data) -- they all really should be one product (note I'm not suggesting price, whatever the devs decide is appropriate to make a profit).  

Orbx appear to be "trying" to bring other developers into a single unified product with the components being sold separately.  I'm guessing the components are being sold separately due to timing differences (completion) from each of the developers ... get money rolling in sooner so developers get paid for their work.  So I can understand why they are being sold separately, but I think that it likely to cause more "confusion" and "unhappy" customers vs. rolling out a single unified product (with all 4 layers).

Also note, I'm NOT suggesting there can't be other competing products (double negative again, ugh).  It's just the packaging of the "the product" should really contain all the appropriate layers and not sold individually to mix and match.  There is just no way mesh data from one product is going to lineup/match with texture data from a different product - yes P3DV2 and FSX allow such developments but I think it's a bad idea to mix and match.

Orbx appear to be "trying" to bring other developers into a single unified product with the components being sold separately.

Right. Not a good idea. Vector has been in the making (so they say) for 2 years and only during the last few months Orbx hopped on board to make it all compatible somehow with FTX Global and OpenLC. I really doubt if OpenLC will improve Vector. I also really doubt if OpenLC will be a hit after JV managed to insult even his most loyal customers with his latest post. It's that time of the year again, so it seems. Pity. Then again, I look at OpenLC as a completely unrelated product which doesn't need Vector (or mesh...) at all so I am still interested in it. But I've lost interest in the 'total package' Orbx was trying to bring us. I really wished they would focus on FTX regions again like in 'the good old days'.

BTW I really had to laugh about this screenshot, which is, I am sure, an obvious error/bug and not an example of how good or bad Vector is! I suppose someone at Pilot's forgot to remove the small residentials roads in this part of the world.  :P But still, great shot...

Screenshot10069.jpg

After their CEO locked the thread about the mesh clarification, practically calling everyone with criticism about Vector and FS Global a cry-baby, i'm not sure if i still want to invest more money in that company.

I will just invest my money on new airport sceneries that i've been waiting for like Manila, Sydney, Auckland and Denver. I do most of my flying on PMDG and at FL370, i won't be able to tell the difference on these vector and land classes stuff.

Kin M.

(Klax)

I can understand and appreciate JV's vision ... his sales/support technique "might" need improvement (or maybe not), but he has indicated that 99% of sales are unrelated to anything said in various forums.

But I've heard similar comments from Robert at PMDG and other developers ... I'm not entirely sure how they (the developers) came up with that number since it would require they take the time to combine (match up) end user sales with registered forum users -- I just can't see any 3rd party developer spending the time to do that ... so those 99% sales from elsewhere comments are probably not very accurate.  But either way, some devs don't feel forums represent a majority voice and since they hold the sales figures ...

Best I can try to do is help them improve what they are selling by posting problems I find as I go and hope they get fixed with the understanding that may never happen ... I'm still waiting for MSE photo scenery fixes for FSX ... some early fixes were released but so far nothing else (I've spent well over $1500 on MSE products).  Orbx have release updates pretty quickly, so that's a plus, hopefully they continue to release updates quickly.

ORBX are skating on thin ice with my wallet these days.

Seems they are def trying to milk every penny out of some of these products that should just be updates/patches.

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

I can understand and appreciate JV's vision ... his sales/support technique "might" need improvement (or maybe not), but he has indicated that 99% of sales are unrelated to anything said in various forums.

But I've heard similar comments from Robert at PMDG and other developers ... I'm not entirely sure how they (the developers) came up with that number since it would require they take the time to combine (match up) end user sales with registered forum users -- I just can't see any 3rd party developer spending the time to do that ... so those 99% sales from elsewhere comments are probably not very accurate.  But either way, some devs don't feel forums represent a majority voice and since they hold the sales figures ...

Best I can try to do is help them improve what they are selling by posting problems I find as I go and hope they get fixed with the understanding that may never happen ... I'm still waiting for MSE photo scenery fixes for FSX ... some early fixes were released but so far nothing else (I've spent well over $1500 on MSE products).  Orbx have release updates pretty quickly, so that's a plus, hopefully they continue to release updates quickly.

You can't tell. Since it's not only about registered forum users. It's also about word of mouth. It's quite easy to fall into that trap, as long as sales figures are fine. But times aren't always good. And that's, when such things often come back to haunt people (and companies...). I was quite disgusted about that post. And i wouldn't even say that i was one of the targets.

To tell the truth, i was hoping to get an answer back from one of the guys who make the FS Global software. Since i had decided to go with FS Global Ultimate as mesh (why go for second best?). And i don't know if there are problems with installation into Prepar3d V2 (i saw that there will be a new installer for the DVD version of Global 2010). And i would also like a download option, instead of DVD's. But well. That thread is locked now. And as i said. You don't belittle your customers. And it's not only about sales figures. It's about manners.

I will just invest my money on new airport sceneries that i've been waiting for like Manila, Sydney, Auckland and Denver. I do most of my flying on PMDG and at FL370 going Mach.83, i won't be able to tell the difference on these vector and land classes stuff.

Kin M.

(Klax)

but he has indicated that 99% of sales are unrelated to anything said in various forums

Dubious, how could he know this? Seems a lot of people are put off here by statements made in the various threads. I for one always sound the forums before buying an addons.

Could be an explanation for that company's sometimes high-handed bedside manner on their forum.

I kind of liked the philosophy and idea behind the FTX Global product series, and I accept that these products need to be developed over time.

When I tried to point out that there were trees in Antarctica after installing FTX Global in the ORBX support forums noone cared to respond after two months and several bumps. And if you look in the ORBX support forums there seems to be a lot of unanswered postings. My faith in getting any support or attention from ORBX is gone, and as such I don't want to invest further into a product that by definition is under development when the developer seems to ignore feedback from users. It's a pity, because I really like most of their products and the generous freeware and P3D updates they have been providing.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Since i had decided to go with FS Global Ultimate as mesh (why go for second best?). And i don't know if there are problems with installation into Prepar3d V2 (i saw that there will be a new installer for the DVD version of Global 2010).

Hi Astarot,

I own FS Global Ultimate DVDs, downloaded the triple installer from the Pilot's Website (after registering) and installed it into Prepar3dv2. No Problem at all. I even got (and used) the option to only make required library entries and use the data I already have on disk for Prepar3dv1.4. Given the amount of data (100 GB) this saved a lot of space on my SSD.

I only made a few test flighs in Germany and around LA and I only found one airport issue (of the type others reported). There are certainly more, but in general it works and provides indeed a well-done high-resolution mesh.

Note, I did not yet test combination with third-party (Aerosoft...) addon airports, as I'll wait for them being available with native triple installers.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Hi Astarot,

I own FS Global Ultimate DVDs, downloaded the triple installer from the Pilot's Website (after registering) and installed it into Prepar3dv2. No Problem at all. I even got (and used) the option to only make required library entries and use the data I already have on disk for Prepar3dv1.4. Given the amount of data (100 GB) this saved a lot of space on my SSD.

I only made a few test flighs in Germany and around LA and I only found one airport issue (of the type others reported). There are certainly more, but in general it works and provides indeed a well-done high-resolution mesh.

Note, I did not yet test combination with third-party (Aerosoft...) addon airports, as I'll wait for them being available with native triple installers.

Kind regards, Michael

Hi Michael,

thank you for the info. Now i only need to decide, if i really want to go that route. Guess i'll wait a bit, and watch how that whole story develops. After my visit on the ORBX forums, i'm a bit uncertain.

Wow...this Hobby is getting hard to keep up with. Last week many of the same names that are here in this thread were screaming that we had to all hate Lockheed Martin and then this weekend I was all pumped up to call them nasty names and out of no where you guys are now screaming all over the net that I should hate JV and ORBX and maybe even Pilots!

I am sorry but I have a some what weak mind and in the middle of it all I bought the vector product (stupid me, I had already been using mesh products for years). I then went straight to the ORBX site and said you are bad!! and even held up my fist. Well, that got me so excited that by mistake I loaded the vector product into of all things, P3DV2. Long story short, I hate them all!! They are Pigs and liars to a man!! OH and by the way, when you brain surgeons and lawyers get through saving the Flight Sim community then you should know that P3DV2 + Global + Mesh + Vector make one hell of a fun and smooth flight sim.

• Upvote 4

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

This is becoming to be..buy this and buy that, which they could have released all these features on that first version. I have FTX Global which i though will be the textures that will replace all of the FSX textures to make my sim more realistic. Now, you got this FTX Vector which they could have included that with the FTX Global and not to mention the new land class that is suppose to come out with bunch of regions. By the time you get sucked on buying these to get "more enhancement" on your existing FTX global textures, you will be spending about 500 bucks.

Is like Apple, here is first gen Ipad, now we have Ipad with retina display and now Ipad Air etc....you will end up buying a version which is a small step from the previous version.

Just my two cents...........

So, you want texture+mesh+vector+landclass in one package and you want it to cover whole world. If there was such product it would've cost more than 500 bucks, believe me. Then people would've complained about pricing without considering they're paying 30-40 bucks for a single airport.

Releasing components of a big product (or project) separately (and slowly) makes it easy to invest. This is not a bad business strategy.