Sign in to follow this  
simmerhead

P3Dv2 + ORBX FTX Global Vector, first impressions?

". . . but in general it works and provides indeed a well-done high-resolution mesh . . ."

Hi Michael,

I ordered PILOT'S FS Global Ultimate Series yesterday. Your statement above is reassuring to me in relation to its use with FTX Global Vector.

Regards,

JJ

Wow...this Hobby is getting hard to keep up with. Last week many of the same names that are here in this thread were screaming that we had to all hate Lockheed Martin and then this weekend I was all pumped up to call them nasty names and out of no where you guys are now screaming all over the net that I should hate JV and ORBX and maybe even Pilots!

I am sorry but I have a some what weak mind and in the middle of it all I bought the vector product (stupid me, I had already been using mesh products for years). I then went straight to the ORBX site and said you are bad!! and even held up my fist. Well, that got me so excited that by mistake I loaded the vector product into of all things, P3DV2. Long story short, I hate them all!! They are Pigs and liars to a man!! OH and by the way, when you brain surgeons and lawyers get through saving the Flight Sim community then you should know that P3DV2 + Global + Mesh + Vector make one hell of a fun and smooth flight sim.

Nah. You shouldn't hate anyone. Just get sober. The weekend is over. :wacko:

As I've said in the Orbx forum, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to have polygon data (the mesh) and texture data (what gets place over the polygon surfaces) be developed in an unrelated fashion (same with vector data) -- they all really should be one product (note I'm not suggesting price, whatever the devs decide is appropriate to make a profit).  

The relationship between mesh and landclass texture is not such that the texture is going to display that much differently (?) on a 38m or 10m or 2m mesh. Possibly when vector is brought into the terrain structure it could show some variance depending upon the quality of the mesh, such as a bridge or mountain road, but in those cases the developmental process needs to have higher demands and tighter controls.

As an example of stricter demands due to mesh, I want to place waterfalls around Hawai'i, because there's a bunch of them. It's a world of difference to place onto a default mesh of 38m compared to a 10m or 5m mesh. All of a sudden you need to analyze surrounding mesh points to make sure that the waterfall is dropping down upon the correct mesh point. That means (to me) going in with a program to analyze a small grid surrounding where the waterfall is suppose to fall and making sure that the NE-next mesh point is the direction of the waterfall, rather than aiming for the N-next mesh point.

Since it would be a freeware package I can mention it, but also by being free it means it gets done when the developer gets the time.

". . . but in general it works and provides indeed a well-done high-resolution mesh . . ."

Hi Michael,

I ordered PILOT'S FS Global Ultimate Series yesterday. Your statement above is reassuring to me in relation to its use with FTX Global Vector.

Regards,

JJ

Hi,

hope you enjoy it. I made some test flights with good results yesterday. One was in my home area with a narrow corridor for a road, a river and hills around, where Default FSX/Prepar3d1.4 gave ugly effects, and it did well. Another one was from Wellington to Lower Hutt with a connecting road (Highways 1/2) between Wellingtoin and Lower Hutt with a bay on the rhs and a cliff to the lhs, ad it looks all okay (although, expectedly, overall not quite as well as NZNI which I run in Prepar3d1.4). As others stated roads look a bit obtrusive, but this is a Vector issue, not Mesh related.

The crux will be add-on airports. I could never get Aerosoft Megaairport Madrid to Play well neither with Ultimate nor with FSGenesis in FSX or Prepar3d1.4, it just was sitting in a lowland surrouinded by steep walls. I am not incliced to spoil my clean Installation right now, though, as this one is certainly not marked as Prepar3dv2 compatible.

Downside is it is really expensive, thus I bought the packages one by one.

Regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Interesting bit of information for users of Vector in P3D 2.0: there seem to be a lot of black patches in the scenery when you use Vector with P3D 2.0, specially during summer and fall. Orbx and Pilot's officially announced that since those black patches can not be seen in FSX, it is a P3D 2.0 problem and they have notified LM asking them to fix it: Pilot's and Orbx won't do anything about it. It's officialy NOT a Vector problem.

So here we go again... should the addon developer make their product P3D compatible or should LM do that...?

If you have a specific city, I'll be happy to do a flight around there.

Rob

Rob, may I ask you to post pictures from a couple places I know very well, both day and night time, if possible:

- Rome, Italy 

- Perth, WA 

- Singapore

- Milan, Italy

- Las Cruces - Alamogordo (NM, USA)

- Palermo, Italy

- Olbia, Italy

Omg what a list.... if you have time I would be thankful.

Andrea

Interesting bit of information for users of Vector in P3D 2.0: there seem to be a lot of black patches in the scenery when you use Vector with P3D 2.0, specially during summer and fall. Orbx and Pilot's officially announced that since those black patches can not be seen in FSX, it is a P3D 2.0 problem and they have notified LM asking them to fix it: Pilot's and Orbx won't do anything about it. It's officialy NOT a Vector problem.

So here we go again... should the addon developer make their product P3D compatible or should LM do that...?

I surely don't know, if they have some kind of contractual agreement. But in principal, telling a developer to make a product compatible for an addon, seems quite strange to me. I probably would tell them to "deal with it". More than ever, if i would represent a company like Lockheed Martin. But we also don't know LM's real agenda, either.

But i begin to imagine the insuing chaos, if every addon developer does the same. In the end, nobody knows whose responsible, and nobody is accountable. Good luck waiting for fixes, if that happens.

An while they all decide who has to fix what, i'll lean back and wait to see what happens with UTX...

there seem to be a lot of black patches in the scenery when you use Vector with P3D 2.0

So it's not just me then. I've got quite a lot of that after installing Vector, was looking for info on this. 

So it's not just me then.

Correct.

Biggest problem for P3D 2.0 Vector users is that this will probably take quite some time to fix: usually a 3PD will fix bugs pretty quickly themselves but LM already has a lot to do so this will probably end up on the bottom of the list of things to do.

Come to think of it: Orbx again leaves the P3D 2.0 users in the cold, just like with the white lights... while they have been pushing it all the time. Even the video's they showed were made with P3D 2.0...! I really think they you take this matter into their own hands.

"hope you enjoy it. I made some test flights with good results yesterday. One was in my home area with a narrow corridor . . . "

Hi Michael,

Thank you for expanding on your experience with PILOT'S Ultimate mesh offerings. I look forward to receiving the DVDs and experiencing the result with FTX Global Vector in FSX.

Regards,

JJ

Jeroen, you're not thinking this out properly. Have you not ever seen a tail wag the dog? Most people think it's the other way around, that a dog wags it's tail. But they have never gotten into the "place the blame elsewhere" routine and that's when it becomes a tail wag the dog situation...

Rob, may I ask you to post pictures from a couple places I know very well, both day and night time, if possible:

Certainly, may take a little time ... just got Rome done.

Come to think of it: Orbx again leaves the P3D 2.0 users in the cold

I fixed the black squares problem by changing my Affinity setting in Prepar3d.cfg and removing the SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT value I had set.  My new settings specific to my 6/12 core CPU:

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=4088

[DISPLAY]
TextureMaxLoad=27

I removed the other suggestions in the LM performance tips doc as they didn't work for me.  Here is LM's tips that caused problems for me:

LMPerf1.jpg

Rob

Interesting screenshots, Rob! I wonder why they added all those encasements... Things would look (a lot) better without them. But even without them the roads probably are too big and obvious. If you could disable the roads, I'd buy Vector for waters maybe. Maybe because I am still unsure how the eleveation problems would turn out on my PC. I'll keep an eye on Vector but it's still not for me for now. Let's see how OpenLC turns out, also in combination with Vector.