Sign in to follow this  
simmerhead

P3Dv2 + ORBX FTX Global Vector, first impressions?

Those encasements are really spoiling it all for me. I could live with the mesh problem and maybe the amount of roads but those encasements… totally over the top. I've never seen cities where every road has encasements as wide as the road itself. On both sides. I think that if you could disable those encasement, the roads would be quite okay.

Green parties would take much pleasure in these streets. :lol:

Those excessive encasements definitely ruin the whole cityscape. This is a real showstopper for me.

Intel i9 12900K, Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z690-A Wifi D4, GSkill 32gb, RTX 4090

Regards Chris Kathi

I agree, in fact in addition to the whole mesh debacle, I hate the roads so much I've gone back to UTX, which I much prefer.

Agree.  Those roads to not look good at all.  Wish someone could create something similar to the roads found in xplane 10, which add dimension to that platform instead of another layer of low res stripes that cut across fuzzy ground textures.  If REX or UTX could do something along those lines people would certainly buy.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

As far as I remember, this encasement issue started with FTX England and was brought up back then.

John's response back then when customers mentioned not liking them was that many roads in England had grass verges (which is correct...we do) and he refused to address it.

It appears that the grass verges have now gone global (like what I did there!!)

John has again posted this morning that the roads are a deliberate production design!!

I hope he reconsiders as they do detract hugely.

Regards

Steve

It isn ever a good idea to remove a file. It might cause errors and CTDs.

Removing textures is not a good idea, FSX keeps searching for missing files indefinitely and it WILL induce stuttering. There is a specific line you can add to your FSX.cfg (cant remember it right now) to display the names (in a popup dialogue) of missing items just for this reason so that developers can fix problems with missing textures and objects in their projects, simply because it causes performance issues if you don't rectify them.

Cheers, Andy.

Ugly and unusable product at the actual state.

I requested again a configuration tool, just to choice what enable and where.

Here is the post,

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/70977-really-needed-a-configuration-tool/

if you agree add at least a +1.

If they don't change their minds the only choice for me is uninstall the product and wait for UTX v2

It´s very easy to get rid of these ugly skirts in P3D (I´m sure, also in FSX):

1. Make a backup of your "Terrain.cfg" (inside the main P3D-Folder).

2. Open the actual "Terrain.cfg" with an editor, e.g. "Windows Notepad".

3. Find all entries with "OrbX Custom Vectors and Road and (important!) Skirting"

4. Change "StripWidthMeters" to lower values, I took 10 and it`s o.k. for me.

5. Save it and enjoy!

Unfortunately i cannot post a screenshot here, but believe me, it Looks much better in bigger cities!

Good luck!

Lars

I certainly appreciate all the knowledge exchange on the topic of FTX Global and Vector. I am almost about to go "Global" for the textures alone and not get so distracted by the roads overlapping autogen shapes and objects. Alternatively, I might just install a few photo scenery areas where I primarily fly. Regardless, all the posts and screenshots are helping me make the decision.

Keith

Keith Guillory

Hi,

Would be nice to see what the Orbx guys think about making changes to the terrain.cfg file. If this is a possibility, don't know if I'd make them all 10... Maybe eight lane roadway to 16  /  six lane roadway to 12  /  four lane roadway to 8 and so on.,

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Hi,

I thought a good quality mesh would get rid of the elevation problems, Since someone posted Aspen, I thought I'd try there first... I guess not.

Installed: FS Global Ultimate The Americas, FS Global Base, FS Global Vector

ORBX.jpg

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Sure, "all 10" was a first try, but it looks good for me. Maybe we can make it more better with other values, just try...

But now we have to welcome the new year in germany.

All the best for 2014!

As far as I remember, this encasement issue started with FTX England and was brought up back then.

John's response back then when customers mentioned not liking them was that many roads in England had grass verges (which is correct...we do) and he refused to address it.

It appears that the grass verges have now gone global (like what I did there!!)

John has again posted this morning that the roads are a deliberate production design!!

I hope he reconsiders as they do detract hugely.

Regards

Steve

Oh well. If they deliberately don't change that, i'll deliberately keep my money and spend it on UTX, once it is available. Because this looks neither good, nor real. Do we get pink bunnies instead of cars on the streets, next? Deliberately?

I just watched a video of flight over England and landing at EGBB where the user applied OpenVFR Terrain and OpenVFR Autogen along with FTX Global. This looked to be a pretty good mixture of elevation, details and road alignments.

Keith Guillory

3. Find all entries with "OrbX Custom Vectors and Road and (important!) Skirting"

I did find the "many" entries for Orbx roads in the Terrain.cfg ... there does appear to be several "sets" - Vector, Road, Skirting.  I tried changing just one set and didn't see any difference.  So it sounds like I need to change ALL three sets to make this work?

Oddly the *.bmp file references I can't find anywhere ... so I assume these are being contained in a resource (DLL or EXE or something)?

JV has indicated that he will not be changing the skirting/roads, so if people want to see this change they'll have to void support.  I know the change can be done because Nick (C.) made it happen (see his screen shots in Orbx thread).

Hi,

I thought a good quality mesh would get rid of the elevation problems, Since someone posted Aspen, I thought I'd try there first... I guess not.

Installed: FS Global Ultimate The Americas, FS Global Base, FS Global VectorORBX.jpg

Hi Mike !

In fact, airport wrong elevation is coded in FSX or P3D airport .bgl(s) , but if you have FS Global Ultimate, you have a Pilot's tool to correct this wrong elevation (it's named ASM) .

A good mesh reflects the Real World elevation, FSX or P3D airports have (almost every time ) a wrong elevation and they are flat (in real world, airports are not flat, slope runways are very frequent).

For the "skirting" and roads problem, it would be possible to modify the alpha channel of road skirting .bmp files and so, to have "transparent" encasements. The same adjustement could possibly erase all roads or specific small roads.

This adjustment of alpha channel could be possible only if .bmp files are DXT3.

Just my two cents

Pierre