Sign in to follow this  
Guevorkyan

FSX freezes over time (no OOM)

Hello folks,

I've been having this annoying problem within my FSX. Over a period of time, it would stop responding. At first I thought it was due to having it working backstage while browsing the web or else. I would click the FSX tab and nothing would happen, only the sound and a black screen.

I knew about the OOM problems, but in several cases, my memory usage was at most 1,7gb for FSX, so that wouldn't apply. Also uiautomationcore.dll was installed in the proper version for my W7x64. Affinity mask for a six-core also applyed in the fsx.cfg (which I deleted to reset the tweaks, now I have 3 or 4 of them there).

I knew that FSX would not respond anymore when I saw a message of FSGRW stating that it lost connection with FSX. Normally I would close FSX with the aid of the task manager, and then close FSGRW, and start punching at the air.

Yesterday, it happened again. I was making a flight in the desert with a freeware airplane, weather was CAVOK, therefore my system wasn't exactly struggling at all to cope with it, and is a decent one. Suddenly, FSX stopped responding. Again. Then the little message on FSGRW saying it lost connection with FSX, while cursing at every molecule of air I started to close everything as I always did, just this time I started by closing FSGRW first. Oh, surprise! FSX was again alive. So, by closing FSGRW I could bring FSX back up and continue the flight. I always closed FSX first and then FSGRW, PFPX, you name it. This time I altered the order, and it worked that way.

I searched in the FSGRW's web to no avail, I searched here and there but could not find anything that could relate to my problem of FSX freezing and then be back alive when closing a related software. Could this be the reason?

Thank you for your help and merry christmas!

Santiago de Larminat

I had this problem lowering my overclock fixed it. So it looks like a system instability memory or cpu.

Kimo

my memory usage was at most 1,7gb for FSX

This is a major problem.  You also misunderstand Virtual Address Space (VAS) and memory usage.  They have nothing in common.  When you run out of the 4GB's of VAS, you will crash with an OOM.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Yeah, sorry. By 1,7gb I meant VAS. The only time I got a VAS related error was while flying the 777x into a congested payware scenery.

This time around I was using a freeware airplane around the Sahara, not very demanding tbh, and FSX responded once I closed FSGRW. That's what is bugging me.

Santiago de Larminat

Also uiautomationcore.dll was installed in the proper version for my W7x64

Hope you did not install the 64 bit version of the uiautomationcore.dll.  Without a crash report (see AVSIM CTD Guide) and knowing your system specs, it will be difficult to diagnose.  The fact you have tweaks in your Fsx.cfg scares me.  The Bufferpools tweak for instance has caused all kinds of OOM's if not properly employed.  It is just not compatible with many systems.  I know I have a very powerful system and tried it and it almost took my system down.

You might take a look at my topic just below this one about a fix for StackHash, NTDLL freezes.  I have ASN installed and was getting freezes (no crashes) and, when I went into the task manager I saw the error message that my weather program had crashed.  My AppCrashView reports showed a StackHash or a NTDLL.dll module had caused the crashes instead.  In any case, there are a couple of possible solutions there.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks for your input. I do have the bufferpools tweak, so I will delete it. I only have a couple more, like himemfix and another I can't remember (I should note them down). I could delete my fsx.cfg and start over again.

I will look at your opic Jim, once I get near my system which has been away for a week now...

Thank you!

Santiago de Larminat