Sign in to follow this  
Thunderbird8

Experienced simmer, but new to x-plane, on Mac OS

Hi to all, first post in this forum.

I'm an experienced flight sim 'heavy' pilot having gained most of my knowledge using the level D767 and PMDG 737 and 747, all on FSX. I used to do a lot of flying on both VATSIM and private online FS groups in the UK. 

Having fully converted to Mac OS I want to start with X plane.

I have sold all my FSX software and hardware and I'm basically starting from scratch. I will probably be using x-plane mostly for flying heavies with a view to going online. 

Hardware wise I have got an iMac 2.7 GHz Intel core i5, with 8 GB of RAM and 512 MB video RAM. (NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 512 MB). 

I also have an iPad and also an iPhone, so any apps which can sync with X plane would be fine too.  Is there a way of using the iPad as an FMC? That would be awesome. 

I would like some recommendations if at all possible on how best to proceed, including what hardware to get and also what decent payware airliners there are (with FMCs). I'm thinking of getting a yoke with an incorporated throttle. It appears that the CH products one is recommended by Austin Meyer.

Anyway, any and all help, advice and opinions appreciated. 

H

Hardware wise I have got an iMac 2.7 GHz Intel core i5, with 8 GB of RAM and 512 MB video RAM. (NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 512 MB). 

I also have an iPad and also an iPhone, so any apps which can sync with X plane would be fine too.  Is there a way of using the iPad as an FMC? That would be awesome. 

Yes this will work in some planes like the Boeing 777, Boeing 757 and the CRJ-200.

The biggest problem I see in your setup is the 512 MB GPU. As an example: The Boeing 757 won't run if you have less than 1 GB VRAM. And since it is only a small notebook GPU your settings will be limited to the medium or low end of the settings.

Thanks for that reply Longranger. It had worried me a bit that my kit may not have enough oomph. But then I'm not after super-duper FPS.

Wish list is:

- Boeing airliner

- LNAV and VNAV

- Correct to type FMC that can (ideally) be updated with latest SIDS/STARS etc

- Compatible with a yoke

- Ability to fly on VATSIM

Th

Wish list is:

Ok, this will work with the Boeing 777 or the Boeing 727 (which (the plane) doesn't have a FMC). But it probably won't work with the Boeing 757 and I wouldn't bet on the IXEG 737. Since the planes no longer have consider the 32 bit boundaries there are no longer restrictions on HD liveries. Even the Grumman Traveler or the Carenado C90B request a 1GB graphics card