Sign in to follow this  
GodAtum

Mac Pro and Xplane

GPU?

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 using Tapatalk.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Will a 12 core CPU, 64 GB RAM Mac Pro completely blast away Xplane frame rates?

Not really. The scalability of X-Plane reaches its limits on normal PCs. The main simulation is still locked to one core. It is mainly the load of additional jobs that can be shared among multiple CPUs. It makes much better use of the computing power of the GPU, but even these capacity reaches their limits. Even a GTX 770 has free capacities, as well as a GTX 780 or GTX780i, the amount of VRAM per GPU, as well as the transfer speed between HDD, CPU and GPU play a much bigger role.

I have a Mac Pro hex core 3.4 Ghz with Radeon 7950  and it certainly doesn't allow my to use full settings. Mid to high in HDR with payware like the FF757 gets me 30-35fps in heavy weather with shadows on global low

Jason E Row

Follow me on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/JasonRowPhotography

It's a pretty unique configuration so it's impossible to make any realistic predictions, but based on Longranger's post above it's hard to know how its performance will compare to, say, a top of the range iMac. (Or PC using GTX cards) Its spec is tailored to the video post-processing, image processing and other workstation-level markets, not gaming per se.

The only thing going for  a mac pro with respect to xplane is that you have options as to what GPU you put in.  Even then the supported GPU's have always lagged behind what was available on the PC.

So you could put in a better GPU than in an imac but at the same time you could probably get an imac with faster cores and 4 fast cores will do more for xplane than 12 cores which are generally clocked slower on workstations.

I have had every mac and I loved my mac pro because at the time I was in to some things that were heavily multitasking so the cores mattered.  Here they dont so much.