Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

TapaTalk has been Shut Down and Removed

For what this is worth (I am NOT a Tapatalk user and don't even know what this is...) it takes me 26s to load any page of AVSIM fora versus 13s for the AVSIM front page, and my download speed is perfectly normal on any other sites anywhere between 3 to 6s for the slowest sites. 

Best regards,

Thanks for bringing it back for us last time Tom. I know it was giving you problems then too.

What's funny is that tapatalk was fast but it made the real site slow.

Thanks again

Thanks for bringing it back for us last time Tom. I know it was giving you problems then too.

Thanks again

Thanks again

I wish you and the team would make up your minds. Just two days ago you suggested to me that I use Tapatalk as I was having problems with the mobile version of Avsim. Some while ago Tapatalk was declared the cause of all the slow downs and withdrawn (also "finally") only to be restored fairly soon afterwards. From my POV Avsim has been running just with Tapatalk enabled.

I understand that Tapatalk can cause problems, but from a users point of view it's the best means of forum access on a phone. If Tapatalk must be withdrawn the mobile site needs to be improved to replace the loss of user functionality. The mobile theme is very slow and awkward to navigate compared to Tapatalk.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Tapatalk made Avsim forums properly accessible from a smartphone. The mobile version (as it currently is) is not even close in terms of usability and performance.

I have a suggestion for you Kevin... send TapaTalk an email telling them that their implementation for IPBoard sucks. We have less than 2 percent of our community using TT AND/OR the MOBILE theme. You can presume to give me direction and second guess us all you want Kevin, but when it comes to weighing overall system performance versus the convenience for a very small minority here, you and TT are on the lighter end of the scale. And to satisfy your implicit demand for an explanation; we detected the previous version start throwing a bunch of xml errors early yesterday. We upgraded to the latest version of TT in an attempt to solve those. It only made matters worse and we were forced to remove it. Yes, we have vacillated on its use for users demanding it, like you. That is now over with. If you have a problem with that response, send me a PM.

I have a suggestion for you Kevin... send TapaTalk an email telling them that their implementation for IPBoard sucks

In researching Tapatalk it looks like it is working just fine on thousands of IPBoard systems. Could it be your implementation IPboard sucks?

In researching Tapatalk it looks like it is working just fine on thousands of IPBoard systems. Could it be your implementation IPboard sucks?

No. Install the application and turn it on. Not much to screw up there. If you want to share your wisdom on this subject, we are all ears.

Hello Tom,

For the record, I am still having difficulties with a regular connection (from Paris at 10:40 am which is 04:30 am in New York). Lots of "Service unavailable" screens both for connecting to the Hangar chat page and individual threads.

Rgds,

Bruno 

PS : (edit) no more problems at 12:30 local/06:30 am EST 

Hi Tom

As a user of Taptalk I feel dissapointed about this decision but nonetheless respect it.  One thing I can't quite get my head around though is how other forums I view throught Taptalk that use IPB have hardly any issue's, maybe it's to do with the sheer amount of traffic you guys get.

However I can also report that I have had diffuculty viewing the mobile site this morning 31/12/2013 at around 0900GMT.

Thanks.

Gavin

Gavin Price

If that's what it took to get back the responsiveness of the Forum, I support Tom's decision and AVSIM wholeheartedly.

Let's move on. Full ahead this way. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few...

Cheers, 

And Tapatalk has now been removed from my phone....good riddance  B)

Matthew Kane

And Tapatalk has now been removed from my phone....good riddance  B)

Welcome back from Zombie World. :biggrin:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

The only problem is that you have to switch from mobile to desktop theme depending on what device you are on Avsim, right?

Edit. I went to my mobile phone and did not have to change anything. It automatically formatted the page for a mobile device.