Sign in to follow this  
Guest MauroDBA

WestJet is talking with Embraer about a potential order for 100-seat jets

Guest MauroDBA

WestJet is talking with Embraer about a potential order for 100-seat jetsBy GlobeAndMail.comFirst was Air Canada, now is time of West Jet to make a potential order of Brazilian jets of Embraer.Here in Brazil We have a expression that in english sounds like "The Bombardier's Potato is cooking/baking"... "A batata da Bombardier est

Guest mikehaska

Actually, Embraer took up the 170 on their own accord, not on the invitation of Westjet. As well, Westjet has expressed no interested in purchasing any new types of aircraft.Air Canada and the Star Alliance partners looked at the 170, along with several other types of aircraft, a few months ago. They never expressed explicit interest nor have they announced any plans to purchase.Looking and buying are two very different things!

Guest MauroDBA

I know this. But the information came from a true canadian source.First of all Air Canada and now the WestJet.and all people know this simple fact of looking to buy jets from a Brazilian Company represent to Canada and BBD.:0/

Embraer is positioned to become the top player in the 100 seat market. With the Jetblue order for 100 Embraer 190's, that solidified the company as a primetime player in the aircraft manufacturing business.

Eric 

Guest MauroDBA

>Embraer is positioned to become the top player in the 100>seat market. With the Jetblue order for 100 Embraer 190's,>that solidified the company as a primetime player in the>aircraft manufacturing business. >Yes,the market is only waitting for the Embraer 170 certification in USA, Asia and Europe.Bombardier only will produce a equivalent plane with 100 seats in five or six years. It made a wrong error of market vision.Embraer make a new conception in this category.I'm brazilian and all here are very proud of the Embraer. More about this new 100 seats planes concept in :http://www.ruleof70to110.com/

Hi MauroDBA,A word of caution...... Don't Believe Everything You Read.I for one work at CYYC, where Westjet is based, and know several people in the company and was there this last weekend when the flight took place. The interest in the Embraer 170 was not from WestJet but from a local commuter airline that has been working with WestJet on the possibility of using the Embraer as a feeder to the main WestJet routes. It would be a code share only and the aircraft would not be purchased by WestJet but by the commuter airline and not fly the WestJet colours. The colours would be of the commuter airline which I will not name here.There is truth that a few WestJet Executives were present for the flight but the Embraer 170 flew from the commuter airline ramp and not from the WestJet hangars. The majority of the passengers were from the commuter airline.There are a few more errors in the article regarding WestJet but since the thread is about the Embraer, I won't elaborate.One thing I've learned by being in the aviation industry for more than 20 years is to take the press reports with a large grain of salt.BTW the Embraer 170 looks like a fine aircraft. I for one don't really care about the Embraer/Bombardier battle and hope that the best airplane, government export incentives not withstanding, is chosen for the job.Cheers,JohnBoeing 727/737 Mechanic